Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery Discussion (WARNING: SPOILERS)  (Read 21972 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
Re: Star Trek: Discovery Discussion (WARNING: SPOILERS)
« Reply #500 on: October 11, 2019, 12:06:44 AM »
Oh yeah, a Short Trek released last week, and another one released this week. They're not up in Europe yet, but they're out in Canada and the US.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #501 on: October 28, 2019, 07:59:02 PM »
Good watch

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #502 on: May 06, 2020, 12:47:35 PM »
More Evidence of a Pike series, or at least a Enterprise focused series being in development:

http://www.startrek.ar/la-nueva-serie-del-capitan-pike-ya-esta-en-marcha/

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #503 on: May 06, 2020, 01:48:55 PM »
More Evidence of a Pike series, or at least a Enterprise focused series being in development:
please oh please oh please oh please oh please  :yay: i really really really hope they do this!  :dance

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #504 on: September 02, 2020, 02:26:15 PM »
Some season 3 news, the first Non-Binary and Transgender characters in Star Trek.

https://www.glaad.org/blog/meet-star-trek-discoverys-blu-del-barrio

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #505 on: September 08, 2020, 04:17:38 PM »
New Season 3 Trailer
https://www.startrek.com/videos/star-trek-discovery-season-three-trailer

The Federation didn't collapse due to internal factors, it was apparently 'As strong as ever' before the collapse, there was some cataclysmic event called 'The Burn' that caused it to collapse

Also, Saru has been promoted it seems

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #506 on: September 09, 2020, 09:07:09 AM »
Some season 3 news, the first Non-Binary and Transgender characters in Star Trek.

https://www.glaad.org/blog/meet-star-trek-discoverys-blu-del-barrio

Except, neither statement is true.

The J'naii in TNG were an Androgynous race. They had no genders at all. And if you want to get technical about things, the Trill are Non-Binary in the sense that while they can appear as either Female or Male, due to their joined nature and having lifetimes of experiences from both genders, they could potentially take on characteristics from either gender or both.

But of course, we live in a "woke" society where SJW is rampant. Much like they wanted to parade Michael Burnham around as the first Black lead in a Star Trek show (sorry Sisko), or first female lead (sorry Janeway).
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #507 on: September 09, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »
As for the above image, while it isn't entirely clear if he's now a Captain or Commander by rank, given the lack of Starfleet existence, and the fact that he's still wearing the 2257 style badge/insignia, it's likely he gave himself a "battlefield promotion" to that rank, sometime after they traveled into the future.

Burnham is seen in the trailer wearing a new style badge/insignia, and seems there might be some form of Starfleet still around.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #508 on: September 09, 2020, 10:36:16 AM »
Except, neither statement is true.

The J'naii in TNG were an Androgynous race. They had no genders at all. And if you want to get technical about things, the Trill are Non-Binary in the sense that while they can appear as either Female or Male, due to their joined nature and having lifetimes of experiences from both genders, they could potentially take on characteristics from either gender or both.

But of course, we live in a "woke" society where SJW is rampant. Much like they wanted to parade Michael Burnham around as the first Black lead in a Star Trek show (sorry Sisko), or first female lead (sorry Janeway).

There is a big difference between an entire species being born non-binary, and an individual being non-binary. Also these characters are actually played by non-binary and trans actors, which Trek has never done before. So they're not wrong at all.

CBS never said in any official press releases that Burnham was the first black lead or the first female lead in Star Trek. That was other media outlets not doing their homework.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being 'woke' or an 'SJW'. Star Trek has been both of those things since 1966.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #509 on: September 09, 2020, 09:47:41 PM »
From the article you yourself linked:

Today, Star Trek: Discovery announced that season three will introduce the first non-binary and transgender characters in the history of the Star Trek franchise.

I'm not talking about the actors playing the roles. The characters as stated in the article claims these are the first non-binary and transgender characters, which is blatantly false.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the "woke" thing that permeates today's media. But various sources used exactly those words, with Burnham being the first "black lead" and first "female lead". Again, blatantly false. I recognize that there's a difference between "an entire non-binary species" and an "individual non-binary character". Obviously there's a difference. But the "species" are still characters in their own right, and at least one of the J'naii characters had a fairly substantial part of the episode where the species was introduced.

But, in recent years it seems the intent is to try to rewrite history, whether it's on-screen (Discovery being a "visual reboot" of TOS, and to a certain degree replacing or invalidating TOS), or when it comes to press releases.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #510 on: September 09, 2020, 11:33:36 PM »
Also note, that article I linked was not written by CBS.

Nor were any of the articles that called Burnham the first female/black lead.

CBS isn’t re-writing history, the media are not doing their research.

And nothing is invalidating/replacing TOS.

And these characters are still the first non-binary/Trans characters in trek.

The J’naii are not non-binary in the modern sense, they’re agender. Non-binary people seem themselves as a gender other that male/female, while the J’naii do not.

And we’ve never had a trans character in Star Trek, period.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #511 on: September 10, 2020, 07:05:58 PM »
And we’ve never had a trans character in Star Trek, period.

Agree to Disagree, on all of the above. But wouldn't expect any less from someone who will apologize for everything that CBS does, regardless of good or bad.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #512 on: September 11, 2020, 12:05:54 PM »
But wouldn't expect any less from someone who will apologize for everything that CBS does, regardless of good or bad.

I don't do that.

And I will kindly ask you not to accuse me of shit.

Agree to Disagree, on all of the above.

Can't disagree with facts. We haven't had a single trans character on Star Trek.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #513 on: September 11, 2020, 04:42:33 PM »
You have your opinions. I have mine.

And the fact is, there have been non-binary characters in the past (such as J'naii in TNG). But you keep believing in revisionist-history.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #514 on: September 11, 2020, 10:33:18 PM »
It's not revisionist, they're not non-binary in the modern human sense.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #515 on: September 14, 2020, 11:25:39 AM »
Star Trek: Discovery Season 1 to Air on CBS
Thursdays at 10pm starting September 24

Quote from: article
The first full season of Star Trek: Discovery makes its broadcast debut in the United States on Thursday, Sept. 24 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) as a special limited promotional run prior to its third season return on CBS All Access.

The third season of the hit series, starring Sonequa Martin-Green, is scheduled to launch Thursday, Oct. 15 exclusively on CBS All Access, ViacomCBS’ subscription video-on-demand and live streaming service.

but not season 2?  that's lame...

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #516 on: September 14, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »
also - DT and Tuskin, would you guys please stop going back and forth like a tennis game and just hug it out?  lol  :P
no reason to get too deep about things...  :)

btw - i am really really let down about the whole 900 years in the future shit...  it may just be enough to lose interest for me personally...
i will give it a shot though.

the very first time i watched Discovery, i couldnt stand it and quit on episode like 4 or 5...  several months later, i picked it back up again and immediately really liked it that time around for some reason and binged through Seasons 1 and 2 quickly...  i was so excited about it!

i wish they didnt jump 900 years later, that seems like a cop out as far as the writers go and may have just killed it for me...   :undecided: :(
wasn't that Voyager's whole premise?  knocked way the fuck out to wherever, completely alone and isolated, no federation, just a ship all alone in completely unknown surroundings with no hope of getting back home?  etc etc etc
why are they doing this again??   ugh  :angry:   :vb_shakehead:

my only guess is because there is to be a new series with the Enterprise and Capt Pike, and maybe the writers didnt want to have two shows set in the same exact timeline and space to where stories would overlap if any major events occured, i dont know...

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #517 on: September 14, 2020, 10:07:30 PM »
The Federation still exists in Season 3. It's just less then what it used to be.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #518 on: October 16, 2020, 04:16:42 PM »
Season 4 starts production November 2nd

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1317178643911647232?

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #519 on: October 17, 2020, 02:37:20 AM »
Nobody is committing a crime or hurting anyone by liking or disliking what CBS is doing with franchise, and we're all grown adults at this point.  There is just no need for all the personal attacks over it.  It's a TV show for Christ's sake.

I liked the first episode of this season.  For the first time since I was a kid I have no idea what the rules of the universe are and I have no idea what could happen.  It's a very strange feeling for Star Trek but I like it  :D