Author Topic: The Script typo fix  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Mark McWire

• Cookies: 1010
Re: The Script typo fix
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 11:07:18 AM »
I use english, because its recommend as lingua franca, but I do not like the language itself. I have no real feeling for it. I always remember when I look at Doctor Who in the original. For me, only my mother tongue counts, for the rest there are translation machines and yes I know that this attitude is a little antiquated or discriminatory.

Offline Mark McWire

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 11:11:37 AM »
If I generalize your statement then I can say that you're already failing at the basic concept of OOP ;)

In this case not. Its not like create an object of a class and override its methods. You override a method in general, before you had any object. STBC is not programmed completly as OOP, there are many procedural styles in the source code. For example the calls of actions.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 11:41:43 AM »
Now you've got me even more confused, if you are referring to this as overriding:

Code: [Select]
import math
patched_pi = 3.14
math.pi = patched_pi

The term you are looking for is monkey patching. While not ideal solution obviously it allowed all of us to work in tandem. It was a conscious choice.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Mark McWire

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 05:04:15 PM »
Now you've got me even more confused, if you are referring to this as overriding:

Code: [Select]
import math
patched_pi = 3.14
math.pi = patched_pi

The term you are looking for is monkey patching. While not ideal solution obviously it allowed all of us to work in tandem. It was a conscious choice.

Thx for the right termin. But I dont like it und i will no use it for my mods. Maybe, i can make a compatibility patch for foundation, so that you can use my mod side by side with the foundation. But I modified MissionLib heavily and also the loadspacehelper. So if I replace this files with the ones from Foundation, my mod will not work anymore.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 10:16:28 PM »
Do you have a repo for your mod? When I get around in doing some DS9FX work (after I recover) I could check out and provide advice on the best approach for the compatibility patch.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Mark McWire

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 01:13:12 PM »
Do you have a repo for your mod? When I get around in doing some DS9FX work (after I recover) I could check out and provide advice on the best approach for the compatibility patch.

My script are visible under https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2be8g4acicqr7ey/AADYq47EBxUPk0STfab5sEoqa?dl=0

My PC sync it with dropbox while I saving it. So you have always the actual version in this folder.