Author Topic: VonFrank's Bridge Commander Remastered Project: RELEASE  (Read 8918 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Cookies: 1
Re: VonFrank's Bridge Commander Remastered Project: RELEASE
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2020, 01:30:53 PM »
Still working on it. (...) Also, a brief rundown of features that will be included in the next release of the Remastered Mod:
Great to hear  :wink:  Myself and many silent others greatly appreciate your work. And my kids will certainly do some day too.

I would be interested in the pseudo-fullscreen you are always talking about, I did the following:

* installed game and mod
* launched game
* exited game
* opened 'options.cfg'
* modified values:
Display Width|1920
Display Height|1080
Fullscreen Mode|0

* launched game, looks slick
* launch new game, game jumps into debug with:
Code: [Select]
TG Python Exception Debug Console.
Type 'resume' to keep running, or 'abort' to kill process.

Outdated Foundation, updating functions
Outdated Foundation, installing FolderManager
Updating FoundationMenu.ShipMenuBuilderDef V2
Foundation Tech loaded
AttributeError: PreLoadAssets
Traceback (innermost last):
  File ".\Scripts\Tactical\Interface\WeaponsDisplay.py", line 66, in Create
    pTorpedoPane = CreateTorpedoPane(fWidth, fHeight, pDisplay.GetShipID())
  File ".\Scripts\Tactical\Interface\WeaponsDisplay.py", line 281, in CreateTorpedoPane
    fPosX = (pProp.GetIconPositionX() + dTORP_X_BIAS[pGraphicsMode.GetWidth()]) / pGraphicsMode.GetWidth()
KeyError: 1920

Apparently, I broke it, although that equation looks okay to me...

EDIT: Happy to report Mod v1.1 fixed this.

Offline President Magikarp

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2021, 07:20:22 PM »
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but was anyone ever able to get multiplayer to work on this? I keep getting a photon torpedo-related Python script crash and the game throws a mismatched BiranuStation.pyc script error even though my friend and I have identical installs.

Offline vonfrank

• Cookies: 182
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2021, 01:03:06 PM »
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but was anyone ever able to get multiplayer to work on this? I keep getting a photon torpedo-related Python script crash and the game throws a mismatched BiranuStation.pyc script error even though my friend and I have identical installs.

I've attempted to solve this problem before, but to no avail.

All I can say is that you're not alone. Even with identical installs (literally copy and pasted from one PC to another) the game throws a mismatch error about various scripts. The most annoying part... It's no consistent. Sometimes it gives the error, sometimes it doesn't.

It's one of the many little annoyances I'd love to be able to solve with the mod, but given the age and instability of BC's engine, I doubt it ever will be.

Offline President Magikarp

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2021, 01:35:32 PM »
I've attempted to solve this problem before, but to no avail.

All I can say is that you're not alone. Even with identical installs (literally copy and pasted from one PC to another) the game throws a mismatch error about various scripts. The most annoying part... It's no consistent. Sometimes it gives the error, sometimes it doesn't.

It's one of the many little annoyances I'd love to be able to solve with the mod, but given the age and instability of BC's engine, I doubt it ever will be.

Well, that's unfortunate. After years of playing Kobayashi Maru, these are some of the best balanced hardpoints I've ever seen. They'd be exceptional for multiplayer games. Even broken as it is, you should be extremely proud.

Offline Vidmaster

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2021, 11:23:46 AM »
 :yay: I got a torpedo-script issue too, without multiplayer involved. See above.

Any ideas?

Offline vonfrank

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2021, 06:47:47 PM »
I have updated the mod to V1.1!

The download pages and update info are listed on the first post in this thread.

Offline Pethy

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2021, 05:29:14 AM »
Amazing work!! It's incredibly heartwarming to see that there are still people who are so invested in Star Trek and especially in this game.

First of all I love how sophisticated and consistent your mod is, its is as you said in the interview on youtube, hardpoints are done right, the balance is also faithful to the show, yet entertaining. I cant say this enough, great work! Keep it up!

And if you happened to figure out how to make multiplayer reliable, that would be like heaven.

Best regards, Pethy.

Offline Vidmaster

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2021, 04:56:10 PM »
It is really cool that the mod seems to find an additional audience now that the game has been officially re-released  :)

I see it has been mirrored on ModDB.

Offline vonfrank

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2021, 06:15:06 PM »
It is really cool that the mod seems to find an additional audience now that the game has been officially re-released  :)

I see it has been mirrored on ModDB.

Yep! It's on Nexus, Gamefront, and ModDB.

I'm glad BC as a whole is getting more attention lately due to the GOG release.

Offline Aces

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2021, 10:30:11 PM »
Hey Von Frank, really like your mod release. Love the color scheme, the widescreen and the ship selection. Stability is also a huge plus. The mod feels very stable.

Some constructive points of improvement if you are amenable to them.

The only show stopper I see so far, is the Romulan Warbird feels to me to be too strong as currently built.

I did a test where I stipped away all but the four "Tactical.Projectiles.Disruptor 4") cannons to observe how much damage the ship was able to cause and how much sustained fire it was able to generate. Additionally I tried to disable/destroy these cannons to no avail. You can review the test here.

I looked thru DS9 for Galaxy vs Warbird encounters and found none surprisingly, while TNG has many, S310 Defector, first a single Warbird vs Galaxy encounter is presented but the Warbird moves off, later in the episode 2 Warbirds decloak and pummel the Galaxy but do not destroy it because they want to capture it. However, 3 Kvort Battle Cruisers more than even the odds against the Romulans when they decloak making it 4v2 Warbirds.

in S3E15 Yesterday's Enterprise, It is stated 4 Warbirds vs an Ambassador class make the odds certain the Ambassador loses. (An Alternate Dimension Universe Episode)

S3E20 Tinman, the Galaxy encounters 2 Warbirds, first one attacks the Galaxy, does significant damage but mainly cripples it in order to get at Tinman first, is destroyed by the space creature, the 2nd Warbird threatens to attack the Galaxy but the episode is resolved without further combat.

S4E11 Data's Day It was thought an Federation Ambassador (person) was abducted in a faked transporter accident but turned out it was a Romulan Spy, Anyway the Galaxy moves to intercept and possibly engage a single Warbird, a 2nd decloaks, stacking the odds against the Galaxy, it is reported 3 more Warbirds are entering the sector, probably hours or minutes away. When it is revealed the ambassador is a spy, the Galaxy withdraws.

From these incidents I conclude that a single Galaxy vs a single warbird is not a decided outcome match and while the Warbird might have an edge the Galaxy should certainly be able to be competitive. It is also inferable that 2 Warbirds vs a Galaxy is too much for Galaxy to handle.

So with all that said. I feel that cutting the firepower rate back by 50% of disruptor cannon weapon alone would probably bring the two ships into better balance.

The only other things I was ready to comment on were the photon torpeodes. As built they do not seem to ever miss, they also seem to move and track really accurately and fast. It might be something that could be adjusted. I tried to target the weapons hardpoints and they seem to be protected exceptionally well so maybe they could be made to be more exposed as well?

Offline vonfrank

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2021, 12:16:38 AM »

You make some good points. And I actually agree with you.

I did some more testing with various combinations of ships VS Warbirds. They are a tad too strong as is.
They are definitely supposed to be very powerful, but I agree a slight nerf is in order. Reducing the charge rate of the forward cannons by half seems to make a noticeable difference. I also slightly increased the torpedo recharge time.

It is now more reasonable (but still very difficult) to beat a Warbird in a Galaxy. In an AI vs. AI battle, the Warbird still wins every time, as it should IMO.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Aces

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2021, 01:56:28 AM »
I look forward to playing your updated version. Because of the way the forums logged me out I forgot to mention that I couldn't beat the warbird as built with the Sov, the Vorcha, or any of the other major Alpha Quadrant hardware. ;)

Offline Pethy

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2021, 06:59:26 AM »
There is a campaign related bug I just stumbled upon. My game crashes after E1M3 at the loading screen. I replayed the mission already 3 times, the outcome was unfortunately always the same.

Offline Aces

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2021, 09:26:27 AM »
You make some good points. And I actually agree with you.

I did some more testing with various combinations of ships VS Warbirds. They are a tad too strong as is.
They are definitely supposed to be very powerful, but I agree a slight nerf is in order. Reducing the charge rate of the forward cannons by half seems to make a noticeable difference. I also slightly increased the torpedo recharge time.

It is now more reasonable (but still very difficult) to beat a Warbird in a Galaxy. In an AI vs. AI battle, the Warbird still wins every time, as it should IMO.

Thanks for the feedback!

Have you posted the updated version of the Warbird or is there a place I should look to get that early? Perhaps discord?

Offline SilentStorm

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2021, 02:46:27 PM »
Hey Vonfrank, I've finally finished BC again after all these years and wanted to say thanks for putting this mod together, that being said. I did hit a some problems with the mission scripts that required fixing.

E3M1
Added the following at line 2564
pStarbase.SetCollisionsOn(FALSE)
This was mentioned in an earlier post as at the start of E3M1 you cannot leave space dock as collisions are enabled.

E3M5
  File ".\Scripts\Maelstrom\Episode3\E3M5\E3M5.py", line 2093, in KlingonsCircleDerelict
    pSystem = pShip.GetSensorSubsystem()
AttributeError: 'None' object has no attribute 'GetSensorSubsystem'

I didn't investigate this one as entering 'resume' in the console was enough to let me continue

E6M5
  File ".\Scripts\Maelstrom\Episode6\E6M5\E6M5.py", line 174, in Initialize
    CreateStartingObjects(pMission)
  File ".\Scripts\Maelstrom\Episode6\E6M5\E6M5.py", line 578, in CreateStartingObjects
    pFedShip2.SetAI(E6M5_AI_FleeFromStarbase.CreateAI(pFedShip2))
NameError: pFedShip2

Ended up in a position where pFedShip2 was not initialised. To fix this I added the following:
Line 550
pFedShip2 = None
Line 581
if(pFedShip2 is not None):

As a side note, I experienced a lot of crashes on E6M5. Once the shuttles have landed on the planet and you have to defend against waves of Cardassians, the game would just crash to desktop. In the end I resorted to modifying the mission and disabled the 'CreateThirdCardWave'. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this.

I was using version 2020.05.07. I see you uploaded a new version to NexusMods. I'm downloading now and will see if these issues are still present in that version

Offline vonfrank

« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2021, 03:11:39 PM »
Hey Vonfrank, I've finally finished BC again after all these years and wanted to say thanks for putting this mod together, that being said. I did hit a some problems with the mission scripts that required fixing.

E3M1
Added the following at line 2564
pStarbase.SetCollisionsOn(FALSE)
This was mentioned in an earlier post as at the start of E3M1 you cannot leave space dock as collisions are enabled.

E3M5
  File ".\Scripts\Maelstrom\Episode3\E3M5\E3M5.py", line 2093, in KlingonsCircleDerelict
    pSystem = pShip.GetSensorSubsystem()
AttributeError: 'None' object has no attribute 'GetSensorSubsystem'

I didn't investigate this one as entering 'resume' in the console was enough to let me continue

E6M5
  File ".\Scripts\Maelstrom\Episode6\E6M5\E6M5.py", line 174, in Initialize
    CreateStartingObjects(pMission)
  File ".\Scripts\Maelstrom\Episode6\E6M5\E6M5.py", line 578, in CreateStartingObjects
NameError: pFedShip2

Ended up in a position where pFedShip2 was not initialised. To fix this I added the following:
Line 550
pFedShip2 = None
Line 581
if(pFedShip2 is not None):

As a side note, I experienced a lot of crashes on E6M5. Once the shuttles have landed on the planet and you have to defend against waves of Cardassians, the game would just crash to desktop. In the end I resorted to modifying the mission and disabled the 'CreateThirdCardWave'. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this.

I was using version 2020.05.07. I see you uploaded a new version to NexusMods. I'm downloading now and will see if these issues are still present in that version

Ya, I remember all of those issues from the 2020 version of the mod. The new release fixes these problems.

Offline vonfrank

« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2021, 03:15:10 PM »
Have you posted the updated version of the Warbird or is there a place I should look to get that early? Perhaps discord?

I haven't posted that anywhere yet. I'm already working on the next update for the mod, but it will probably be a large release a while from now as opposed to little alterations over time.

In the mean time, I can post the new Warbird.py file on discord if you want to try it out.

Offline Aces

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2021, 07:25:12 PM »
Please do :)

Offline Aces

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2021, 03:14:06 PM »
Still finding the Warbird too OP. Cannon fire rate feels right, torpedo recharge rates also feel right. Does the damn thing really have beams for all angles of combat?

I do understand it cannot have angles where it cannot cover itself being such a large target, it just feels like the Warbird is still too powerful. I've yet to beat it with the Galaxy. I think the issue with the Galaxy, though I'm not ready to suggest changes for it yet, is it only has 4 forward and 4 rear torpedoes' shooting.

The other part of the equation is that these Class 6 Galaxy torpedoes feel too accurate as well. I'll do so more testing and see what I can come up with. Nerfing the Warbird further doesn't seem to be the way to go, already cut the disruptor cannons in half, though they still have plenty of fire rate.

Offline Easy

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2021, 02:47:06 PM »
Hi vonfrank,

Thanks for the good work on this mod! With v09-14 of the game CTDs as soon as the Sovereign comes into play (E3M1). Have a look at the exception attached. The mission kinda loads but not inside starbase 12, and the mission breaks because of it. Hope this is of any help.

Regards,

Easy