Author Topic: "Clouds" Texture...  (Read 1221 times)

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
"Clouds" Texture...
« on: October 18, 2021, 05:55:59 PM »
I've created in Photoshop a new clouds texture for planets in BC. Problem is, the way they''re mapped in-game are in segmented sections that I believe are 256x256. My new clouds texture is 1024x512.

Does anyone know what the name of the NanoFX HP is that controls the size/movement of those cloud mappings? I've never worked on that HP before and would like to tweak it so I can re-size those segments to the new proportions.

Thanks in advance.

Elijah

Re: "Clouds" Texture...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 08:06:20 PM »
The way nano fix creates clouds is by placing a star inside the planet, the stars atmospheric effect is what you are seeing as ‘clouds’. Doing it this way limits what you can do as changing the start bitmaps will effect all planets. The new modeling and modding tool we are making for STBC: Remaster and Enhancement Project will allow you to easily make a new planet model which can have an animated cloud layer with its own bitmap.

Here is a rough proof of concept video:

Offline moed

• Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 05:40:28 PM »
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that currently, there's no way to edit the cloud bit map size?

Elijah

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 05:59:20 PM »
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that currently, there's no way to edit the cloud bit map size?

You can, you want this change to also affect every other planet and star in the current Nano way of doing things

Offline moed

• Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 07:56:00 PM »
You can, you want this change to also affect every other planet and star in the current Nano way of doing things

Yes, I don't care ATM if it affects every other planet & star.

How can I make these changes? I need to be pointed to the right script(s) and specific areas within said scripts.

Elijah

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 04:24:09 AM »
Yes, I don't care ATM if it affects every other planet & star.

How can I make these changes? I need to be pointed to the right script(s) and specific areas within said scripts.

After investigating a bit, I was actually confused as to what exactly nano was doing specifically with the star atmosphere, you are probably looking to edit the 'Clouds.tga' image located in: scripts\Custom\NanoFXv2\SpecialFX\Gfx\Atmosphere\Class-M

Offline moed

• Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 06:38:41 PM »
After investigating a bit, I was actually confused as to what exactly nano was doing specifically with the star atmosphere, you are probably looking to edit the 'Clouds.tga' image located in: scripts\Custom\NanoFXv2\SpecialFX\Gfx\Atmosphere\Class-M

I've already edited the clouds.tga. I'm talking about the actual script (as in the .py file) that controls the size of the transparent segments that have the cloud texture placed on it and also, probably controls the speed of rotation around any given planet. My desire is to to re-size the segment and maybe even change the speed of rotation. If you have any knowledge of that please pass it on to me.

Elijah

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 11:40:36 PM »
I've already edited the clouds.tga. I'm talking about the actual script (as in the .py file) that controls the size of the transparent segments that have the cloud texture placed on it and also, probably controls the speed of rotation around any given planet. My desire is to to re-size the segment and maybe even change the speed of rotation. If you have any knowledge of that please pass it on to me.

I do not believe there is currently a way to do what you are asking in Nano as the effect is derived from the star's atmosphere which is handled mainly by the engine. You can look in the 'AtmosphereFX' script, but you won't be able to do what you are wanting to do with anything in that script as, like I said, it is just setting up a star and then assigning bitmaps for that star to use.

Offline moed

• Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 01:06:46 AM »
I do not believe there is currently a way to do what you are asking in Nano as the effect is derived from the star's atmosphere which is handled mainly by the engine. You can look in the 'AtmosphereFX' script, but you won't be able to do what you are wanting to do with anything in that script as, like I said, it is just setting up a star and then assigning bitmaps for that star to use.

So you're saying that those bitmaps in the AtmosphereFX script can't be resized? They can only be assigned?

Elijah

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 01:00:56 PM »
So you're saying that those bitmaps in the AtmosphereFX script can't be resized? They can only be assigned?

Currently, using the Nano method of atmosphere effects, I do not believe so. Like I said though in one of my first posts, there are alternative ways to do this effect which will get around the limitation.