Author Topic: NifSkope now supports BC Nifs  (Read 4513 times)

Offline BES

• Cookies: 5
Re: NifSkope now supports BC Nifs
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 02:34:53 AM »
It opened a character model just fine...exporting it would be a ploblem...probably why they added 3Ds max versions of the characters in the BC SDK.
Exporting it to a .Nif shouldnt be a problem if we use that animonly tool and use nifskope.

I been wanting to do Bridges and characters for my Wing Commander mod....so looking forward to all this working right,also if I read the SDK right...if we wanted to make our own missions using characters we have to use LISET,basically its text to voice or something, I dug through the microsoft archive and found the program(just have to remember where I put it now..).

wz

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 05:33:25 AM »
Hello, it's wz from the NifTools project :)

Great to see you can make use of NifSkope for BC modding!
It was mentioned that NifSkope has a lot of Oblivion & Morrowind related features - that's right! But only because we are all coming from the communities of those games, NifSkope's feature-set is not limited in any direction. If there is a cool and nifty feature ("Spell") you want to see included, just head over to our boards and file a feature request.

Btw, we're also trying hard to fully support the version 3.x Nifs provided by STBC, if anyone has worked in that direction already, please share your insight with us.

Regards, and have fun modding,

wz

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 06:06:30 AM »
Would be great if you could add support for the various texture folders in BC automatically, so that you don't have to add each folder manually for every ship/bridge/character you load in Nifskope... Just a suggestion :P
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 08:40:16 AM »
Hello, it's wz from the NifTools project :)

Great to see you can make use of NifSkope for BC modding!
It was mentioned that NifSkope has a lot of Oblivion & Morrowind related features - that's right! But only because we are all coming from the communities of those games, NifSkope's feature-set is not limited in any direction. If there is a cool and nifty feature ("Spell") you want to see included, just head over to our boards and file a feature request.

Btw, we're also trying hard to fully support the version 3.x Nifs provided by STBC, if anyone has worked in that direction already, please share your insight with us.

Regards, and have fun modding,

wz

Hi WZ, nice to see you here.
And it's a great thing what you guys have been doing both for oblivion and BC.

I have one highly offtopic question:
I know nifskope reads animations from oblivion, it does work in exporting them somehow?
I was the guy that made the first new armor exportings straight from max using the civ4 plugins, but found no way to get the animations exported using it.

thanks
LC

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 10:00:04 AM »
great. finally someone we can blame! (j/k :P)

ok, the program is usefull when it comes to make quick changes in a file when you know what's wrong. it lacks the power of a real 3D editor, but it tows you out of the way in an emergency.
I noticed that it opens and saves .nifs correctly, but when i import a .3ds and try to save it as .nif, it doesn't save anything.....
the resulting .nif has the size it should have and opens correctly in niftools, but not in MPE (the property editor we use for the in-game configuration of it), nor in BC. MPE doesn't show the model window, and BC just crashes to desktop.
one thing I find VERY handy is the fact that it allows you to "walk" around a model, very usefull when you edit bridges. and the ability to export bridges (one of the most dificult things with Milkshape and 3DS 3.1) to 3D studio.
it's still growing up, but with a bit of work it will really come in handy for the whole comunity, so keep up the good work.

wz

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 01:47:09 PM »
Would be great if you could add support for the various texture folders in BC automatically, so that you don't have to add each folder manually for every ship/bridge/character you load in Nifskope... Just a suggestion :P
You should be able to specify a relative path, like './High'.

Hi WZ, nice to see you here.
And it's a great thing what you guys have been doing both for oblivion and BC.

I have one highly offtopic question:
I know nifskope reads animations from oblivion, it does work in exporting them somehow?
I was the guy that made the first new armor exportings straight from max using the civ4 plugins, but found no way to get the animations exported using it.

thanks
LC
Afaik, it is possible to export animations directly from Max using a combination of NifTools and CivIV - set up the animation with the CivIV panel, then use NifTools to export the scene.

great. finally someone we can blame! (j/k :P)

ok, the program is usefull when it comes to make quick changes in a file when you know what's wrong. it lacks the power of a real 3D editor, but it tows you out of the way in an emergency.
I noticed that it opens and saves .nifs correctly, but when i import a .3ds and try to save it as .nif, it doesn't save anything.....
the resulting .nif has the size it should have and opens correctly in niftools, but not in MPE (the property editor we use for the in-game configuration of it), nor in BC. MPE doesn't show the model window, and BC just crashes to desktop.
one thing I find VERY handy is the fact that it allows you to "walk" around a model, very usefull when you edit bridges. and the ability to export bridges (one of the most dificult things with Milkshape and 3DS 3.1) to 3D studio.
it's still growing up, but with a bit of work it will really come in handy for the whole comunity, so keep up the good work.

I'm sorry, the Nifs that are created by NifSkope from scratch are 20.0.0.5 Nifs as opposed to 3.1 etc. for STBC. I'm not sure, but try opening a BC Nif, delete all contents and import then.

Thanks for the kind words, all :)

wz

Offline BES

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 02:46:52 PM »
Could there be an option to specify what .Nif version we can export to?...just a thought

wz

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2007, 05:39:43 AM »
Please ask those questions at our "Feedback & Feature Requests" forum :)

Basically, it should be possible, the limiting factor is simply that the default "blank" Nif created is marked as version 20.0.0.5

wz

Offline Armando2371

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »
I was wondering, how did you get that chair in without any problems? Everytime I try to add something to the mesh and export it back BC just hangs while it loads.

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2007, 04:28:32 AM »
I was wondering, how did you get that chair in without any problems? Everytime I try to add something to the mesh and export it back BC just hangs while it loads.

Actually the chair is in a seperate model, and deleting things from the old nif is something I have done before using a normal hex editor... however knowing where to place the new chair was always the difficult part which niftools helped me with.

Offline Armando2371

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2007, 03:00:33 PM »
So that's the way it works... Thanks, I'll try that out.

Shon

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 02:05:48 AM »
EDIT:  NifSkope 1.0 has now been released =)

http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,1908.0.html