Author Topic: missing console after NanoFX failed fix  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
missing console after NanoFX failed fix
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:13:13 AM »
I wanted to post this more as a heads-up than a bug. I was able to figure it out, mainly because I caused it, but could piss off most of the new modders.
I was editing NanoFX config when I forgot to put a number in the splash radius field. I was on QB, so I had to cut it and restart. Instead of shutting QB, I closed the game  :oops: and when I restarted I got a big BSOD.
using common sense, I pressed ~ to open the console, but nothing happened.
I went to check if I had -TestMode in the shortcut (I was sure I had it, but checked it nonetheless) and yeah, it was there. yet the console didn't work.

after some 20 minutes of banging my head trying to fix it, I realized about what I did and went back to the config file and fixed it.
what puzzled me is why the console didn't load if it's supposedly loaded before anything else.
anyone else had this problem before?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: missing console after NanoFX failed fix
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 11:54:38 AM »
Did you press ~ (so shift + `) or just "`"?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 01:09:23 PM »
Did you press ~ (so shift + `) or just "`"?
no, un-shifted. just "`". I even did it two or three times, after restarting and such.
actually, yes, it is "`" not "~", but I'm still used to half-life's config that lists "`" as "~" lol.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 01:13:23 PM »
I have to admit, it's easier to mark it as "~" than as "`" since it can be confused with '.

Still, if you started the game through the shortcut, then it should have worked. But, TBH, I always have TestMode on, no matter what (so I can just start STBC.exe).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 01:21:18 PM »
Still, if you started the game through the shortcut, then it should have worked. But, TBH, I always have TestMode on, no matter what (so I can just start STBC.exe).
I always do that. for that reason I was like "WTF?" when I pressed ~ and nothing happened.
there might be something loaded before the movies (I always hear some "clicks") but it couldn't be NFX's config, that should be loaded after mainmenu.py.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 01:27:43 PM »
Those clicks are normal, atleast, for when you enter QB.

Put this file in scripts/Tactical and you should have TestMode always on.
And before you ask, the place is rather random. :P
But it works when it's put there.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 01:34:24 PM »
I wasn't actually looking for that but thanks....
now that I look at it, seems like you can chage the console font style and size?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 01:45:02 PM »
I wasn't actually looking for that but thanks....
now that I look at it, seems like you can chage the console font style and size?
Nope, that experiment failed. :P

The GUI isn't even loaded then, so it fails.

But, the console should have worked by the time your error occured.
I've made enough typo's in MainMenu and AutoExec. ;P

Btw, I've been unable to replicate your problem. I do admit, it's a bit error prone.
Hopefully, in a next version of NanoFX (if ever) that ought to be fixed.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 02:06:33 PM »
in NanoFX_Config.py, put some 0's or " " in the EFX duration settings. just in case it wasn't the splash radius specifically. I know I screwed something in EFX by 0's or " ". the particle count, maybe.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 05:08:21 PM »
Just zeros and/or leading or trailing spaces shouldn't matter.
I got myself an error by removing the number altogether.