Author Topic: StarGate + Series Topic Discussion - May Contain Spoilers  (Read 54825 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
RE: StarGate + Series Topic Discussion - May Contain Spoilers
« Reply #360 on: October 04, 2009, 09:23:19 AM »
well, I did watch this, and while the pilot was blatant copy of the first episode of SGA ( with the exception of the communication ability with earth almost right away), I'd say that it has potential.. but I'll be damned if they will have more generic human-shaped "aliens". give us xenomorphs, eight legged freaks, but no more of those bloody medieval villages with hapless farmers betraying the team every bloody time.

The producers have said that there will be non-humanoid aliens. Apparently they encounter a life form this season (I think its a good bet there will be, it would be pretty stupid if they didn't)

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #361 on: October 04, 2009, 10:31:42 AM »
and what was up with Hammond's weakness? no kamehameha-asgard beams, no visible firing from railguns, no missiles launched.. it just took pounding like.. dare I say.. Enterprise D?  :evil
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #362 on: October 04, 2009, 12:31:56 PM »
well, I did watch this, and while the pilot was blatant copy of the first episode of SGA ( with the exception of the communication ability with earth almost right away), I'd say that it has potential.. but I'll be damned if they will have more generic human-shaped "aliens". give us xenomorphs, eight legged freaks, but no more of those bloody medieval villages with hapless farmers betraying the team every bloody time.

The producers have said that there will be non-humanoid aliens. Apparently they encounter a life form this season (I think its a good bet there will be, it would be pretty stupid if they didn't)

Gee I guess that will make a new SG1 team, gotta have the leader, the smart guy that can't fight, the other smart guy but trained to fight, and the alien to help them, sigh, I was disappointed a little in SGA for following that obvious theme. I wonder if this new alien force will speak english cause we know everyone in the universe speaks english with no explantion I can remember, no universal translators here. Other wise I love stargate, I'm seeing this as a show thats trying to pull itself from the star gate mold unlike SGA that followed the SG1 old. I'm very interested on how this turns out, I think I'm going to be hooked on this show

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #363 on: October 04, 2009, 12:48:40 PM »
about the english part.. perhaps Samuel L. Jackson went to there before anyone else..

"English, MotherF***er, do you speak it?!"
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Vanguard

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #364 on: October 06, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »
well, I did watch this, and while the pilot was blatant copy of the first episode of SGA ( with the exception of the communication ability with earth almost right away)

Lulwut?

They shared some similar elements, however the premise was entirely different, for starters, quick episode side by side (from what I can remember of both)

SGA
-Start on antarctic outpost
-Sheppard sits on a chair, this leads to the gate address being found or something
-About a year of preparation is finally put into use, people chosen flown in, tonnes of supplies at the ready
-Arrive at Atlantis
-ZOMG POWER LOSS
-Send Sheppard and Sumner through gate with people to find power source
-Meanwhile city rises
-ZOMG WRAITH! Abductions!
-Go back to Atlantis
-Take team to X planet in Jumper
-PEW PEW WRAITH
-WE WON BAI
-End

SGU:
-Start on ship
-flashback
-moar ship
-flashback
-ship stuff, LIFE SUPPORT FAILZ!
-flashback
-stuff about life support, senator bla bla
-Rush revelation
-CHRAGE
-The gate dials weeeeeee
-drop out of FTL
-Dial planet

Yes, both involved going through the gate to a distant place, but SGA was planned out nicely, SGU they had to rush through and had extremely limited supplies...

Offline NeoKaede

• Cookies: 4
  • We're watching you... scum.
« Reply #365 on: October 07, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Well, it wasn?t bad.  Your usual pilot episode, showing the new characters and explaining their stories, passed through the BSG-filter: yelling, crying, shouting and lights set at darkness level. Rush looks like a great character (pity he's going to dissappear in the next episodes, very likely after getting Young killed), but the rest are pretty meh. I'll watch it but, right now, Atlantis looked more interesting than this in it's pilot.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #366 on: October 09, 2009, 09:17:32 PM »
First few mins of this ep answer a few questions about the gate.

Another hit ep imo
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #367 on: October 09, 2009, 10:40:03 PM »
its epic so far,

also official answer on aliens.

HBMC writes: ?I thought SGU was trying to avoid alien cultures that spoke perfect modern English or were just humans in prosthetics??

Answer: Any aliens originating from any of these new galaxies will be very different from the aliens we?ve encountered in either the Milky Way or Pegasus.

Offline Furyofaseraph

• The FoaS
  • Cookies: 49
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #368 on: October 10, 2009, 12:21:13 AM »
All sci-fi series (most series in general, too) need a season to grow into itself, sometimes two (Riker's Beard-effect). I just saw the premiere tonight. I liked it. I like that they are shifting to a character-driven story instead of a plot-driven. I think it has the potential to be very interesting. Will it be? We'll find out by second season.

I think I like Eli the best. Yes, he's a mini-mackay (though not nearly as annoying) but I think he (and Cloe as well) are going to represent the Everyday-person forced into a dire situation (ie: Xander). I love spontaneous heroes like that.

There isn't a character - thus far - that I don't like. Rush i love to hate - which is perfect for an internal-semi-antagonist. It's refreshing to not have an external antagonist for once - same with the one overseer woman (Min-Li?).

"FoaSize (faux-uh-size): To seduce at an alarming rate with lots of blue and orange." ~ Firedrake

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #369 on: October 10, 2009, 06:25:55 AM »
All sci-fi series (most series in general, too) need a season to grow into itself, sometimes two (Riker's Beard-effect). I just saw the premiere tonight. I liked it. I like that they are shifting to a character-driven story instead of a plot-driven. I think it has the potential to be very interesting. Will it be? We'll find out by second season.

I think I like Eli the best. Yes, he's a mini-mackay (though not nearly as annoying) but I think he (and Cloe as well) are going to represent the Everyday-person forced into a dire situation (ie: Xander). I love spontaneous heroes like that.

There isn't a character - thus far - that I don't like. Rush i love to hate - which is perfect for an internal-semi-antagonist. It's refreshing to not have an external antagonist for once - same with the one overseer woman (Min-Li?).

(Ming-Na) actually. (Sounds like minger, which is a british way of saying unnattractive, which she isn't. Poor choice for a name though. I blame the parents).

But I pretty much agree with you on your statement. The only thing I don't like about SG:U is the Kino (flying M.A.L.P ball) as it kinda eliminates the 'into the unknown' element that we are mean't to be feeling when SG:U is concerned. Definatly not as stupid as Rodney's 'M.A.L.P. on a stick' though.  :funny
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #370 on: October 10, 2009, 07:07:11 AM »
But I pretty much agree with you on your statement. The only thing I don't like about SG:U is the Kino (flying M.A.L.P ball) as it kinda eliminates the 'into the unknown' element that we are mean't to be feeling when SG:U is concerned. Definatly not as stupid as Rodney's 'M.A.L.P. on a stick' though.  :funny

It's still stepping into the unknown. Just stepping knowing whether or not you'll be able to breathe!
MUSE!!!

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #371 on: October 10, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
I got to see a repeat of the SGU pilot last night.  My mother is totally intrigued, and even I'm going Hmm...but, there's one problem.  I won't get to see any of it.  the person who dominates the TV sticks with big movies about nothing at all, watches everything ONCE, and never again, and uses the TV set to sleep by.  and then they have the bearings to complain I'm on the Computer all the time?  there isn't much left in the way of entertainment.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #372 on: October 10, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »
I wonder what that pod thing that flew off the ship was at the end. It diffidently didn't match the style of the ship.

Offline martyr

• Cookies: 4
« Reply #373 on: October 10, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
i warmed up to eli in the last episode

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #374 on: October 10, 2009, 03:19:22 PM »
I wonder what that pod thing that flew off the ship was at the end. It diffidently didn't match the style of the ship.

I thought it looked like the pod from last weeks episode, that the Senator was in.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #375 on: October 10, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »
No, that was at the front of the ship, this came off the side.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #376 on: October 10, 2009, 05:33:09 PM »
No, that was at the front of the ship, this came off the side.

I haven't seen episode 3 yet, but from the sound of it, and various screencaps thanks to GateWorld, I think it could be some kind of escape pod. I see 2 possible reasons why it would of been launched:

1. It was damaged like much of the Destiny and simply launched as a result of random malfunctions, further emphasizing that the only chance that Eli and the rest of them have to get home, is with the Destiny herself.

or

2. There was someone or thing onboard the escape pod that we are not mean't to know about yet, which would be a great way to set up for an episode later on in the series.

I'm hoping for the former.  :D
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #377 on: October 10, 2009, 10:09:46 PM »
This is from Joe Mallozzi's blog

Michael Jones also writes: ?Who or what took the Shuttle that detached from Destiny at the end??

Answer: That wasn?t a shuttle.

I'm thinking maybe its an alien pod/probe of some sort. Also, Joe hinted that the Destiny has been attacked over the Thousands of years its been exploring. Thats why the ship was in such bad shape even when no one was on it.

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #378 on: October 10, 2009, 10:29:06 PM »
I like that they are shifting to a character-driven story instead of a plot-driven.
This isn't really a character-driven story.  The whole premise of the show is to get home, just like with Star Trek Voyager.  A true character-driven story would be something like Grey's Anatomy.

It's refreshing to not have an external antagonist for once.
Here here!  Though I'm expecting some external force to slowly make its presence known over the course of the season.

I'll be surprised if they don't introduce one, because while they can keep up what they have right now--the only external threat being their ship falling apart around them--they really can't keep that up indefinitely.  There's so much "magical" technology in the Stargate universe that they're pretty much destined to fully repair the ship.  Being a mechanical engineer, how they manage to repair the ship holds much appeal to me.

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #379 on: October 12, 2009, 02:32:00 AM »
I wondering if thier just going to keep the ship moving and the series final will be them just getting off the ship in time as it falls apart, just a thought

I'm hoping to see something like voyager where they meet new aliens and such, some hostile some friendly, the hostile ones will fight them for a story arc and off to a new one. Friendlys will help them repair and better understand whats happening

They have shown the building of relationships between characters in the commercials, so I'm seeing this will be a heavily character driven plot