Author Topic: StarGate + Series Topic Discussion - May Contain Spoilers  (Read 56071 times)

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
RE: StarGate + Series Topic Discussion - May Contain Spoilers
« Reply #480 on: December 06, 2009, 09:53:48 AM »
They're not even vaguely the same. The one found on the planet has a shape at the front not all that dissimilar from the shuttle on Destiny, the thing that detached from the hull at the end of Air pt III was circular.
MUSE!!!

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #481 on: December 06, 2009, 10:00:47 AM »
The ship looks smaller than the UFO off of Destiny. Could be their version of a shuttlepod.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #482 on: December 08, 2009, 10:19:28 AM »
The ship looks smaller than the UFO off of Destiny. Could be their version of a shuttlepod.

I doubt it. For one, the ship on the planet has obviously been there for a long time, way before the Destiny even showed up in that system.

I think it could be possibly one of the gate seeder ships that was sent out ahead of Destiny. The gate seeder ships could be a lot older than the Destiny and technology does take on new characteristics over time so this is a possible theory.

There is maybe 2 ways Rush could get back on-board Destiny. Both involving that ship on the planet.

1. If the energy source is still intact and powerful enough, tie it into the gate on the planet and simply dial the Destiny's address. It would have to be significantly powerful though for this to be a possibility, even though it would technically be a 8 symbol address since the planet that the ship is on is still a hell of a lot closer to Destiny than Icarus was.

2. Fix the crashed alien ship and simply catch up with the Destiny and somehow get back on-board without Young waiting to throw him out an air lock.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #483 on: December 09, 2009, 01:55:10 AM »
Only problem with the second is destiny is a huge ship, and uses the stars to fuel it's systems. A majority seems to go into the weird FTL it uses. Either it's inefficient, which doesn't sound very Ancient, or it's quick. I don't think a small ship like that could keep up let alone attain those speeds.

Would be cool for him to be able to rig it up to the gate, and it's a far more likely event, but seeing as it's been 10 episodes in without an "intelligent" alien life-form (Aside from the bugs), I am heavily leaning towards him getting help.

I'd still prefer a few episodes showing Destiny falling apart without him, and him falling apart without people to show his facade to though. Show us Rush's true self!

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #484 on: January 05, 2010, 06:56:18 PM »
Thats one well written episode, by far one of my favorites, nuff said

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #485 on: January 05, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »
wait what? ok... why a sep thread?
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #486 on: January 05, 2010, 07:44:55 PM »
This thread should be moved to the main stargate thread.

Kudos on starting it off with a discussion about a great episode though.  :D

Offline Psyco Diver

« Reply #487 on: January 05, 2010, 11:51:36 PM »
Good point, I was so used to going to that thread for the SGU discussion that I forgot it was for all star gate discussions

Offline Sean

• Retired Administrator
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1165
  • Site Co-Founder
    • Bridge Commander Central
« Reply #488 on: February 15, 2010, 02:54:40 AM »
merged

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #489 on: February 21, 2010, 10:52:51 AM »
Chapter 11 strikes again.  :'(

It is looking increasingly unlikely that Stargate Worlds will be finished, let alone released.
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/02/stargate-video-game-developer-files-for-bankruptcy/

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #490 on: February 21, 2010, 02:30:53 PM »
Oh for crying out loud..  :(
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #491 on: February 21, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
I'm not gonna mourn it, as far as Sci-Fi MMOs go, this looked worse than Star Trek Online.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #492 on: February 21, 2010, 07:17:26 PM »
I'm not gonna mourn it, as far as Sci-Fi MMOs go, this looked worse than Star Trek Online.

I agree with you.

I am just more annoyed with the fact that the stargate franchise has never had a successful game released (SGR sucks).
It seems to be cursed when it comes to games.

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #493 on: February 21, 2010, 10:19:55 PM »

Yeah, no kidding. I was on beta testing from August to December of '08.
I didn't like what I was seeing there.
I considered dropping out because it was just too damn boring.
Didn't matter to me it was "just early beta".
The way I see it there's no way they would change it enough that it would be a good game.

Offline Psyco Diver

« Reply #494 on: February 21, 2010, 11:31:07 PM »
Don't see how could it be bad, you can use gates to go to different worlds, you could be a few different races, lots of potential for fighting and quests for "artifacts" to get more power. How hard can it be?

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #495 on: February 22, 2010, 12:43:05 AM »
This is just another nail in the SG coffin'. It's worse than the persistant rumours about Star Trek's imminent demise, prior to the latest movie. SG1 was a great show, which unfortunately ran for too long (should've ended at season 8 when RDA left the show). SGA was another great show (thou not as good as SG1), which was cancelled prematurely to make room for:

SGU, which imho is the most boring and bland incarnation of Stargate to date. I've tried to enjoy the show for the first 10 episodes, and from time to time, it's had it's moments. What really pisses me off about SGU, comes down to 3 simple facts:

- 1. The scientists on the ship are either inept or bored, and have no interest in "exploration" of the ship or through the gate.
- 2. The military on the ship are under-qualified, and under-disciplined, prone to sexual encounters with fellow officers at a whim.
- 3. No "structured" leadership on the ship, instead resorting to use of communication stones to "chat with Earth".

It's been 10 episodes so far, and all we've had are people having sex with each other in almost every episode, scientists and civilians alike, whining about wanting to get home, and the constant bickering between lead characters Rush and Young. I think by now, the SGU audience, knows that the people on the ship are in constant peril, and that they are trying to get home. Instead of shoving it in our faces in every episode, they should let the characters do some actual "Stargate" exploration of both the ship itself, the knowledge it may contain as well as the use of the onboard stargate.

In any command structure, one would assume that the officers behave in a suitable manner. A clearcut chain of command should be estabilished, and the actual leadership should be given to a civilian (my nomination is on Rush or Wray). Neither the IOA or Homeworld Command on Earth should have any say-so, of what goes on aboard Destiny. I am confident, that given enough time, the ship and/or crew will eventually make it back to Earth. So far when Earth has had any involvement in a "rescue attempt", it has instead resulted in further jeopardy.

In short: If the next 10 episodes of SGU is the same bland and repetitive crap we've seen thus far, I would like the show cancelled, and SGA brought out of mothballs. The producers have promised 2 additional Stargate movies (1 SG1 & 1 SGA), which currently most likely will never be made.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline limey BSc.

« Reply #496 on: February 22, 2010, 06:39:06 AM »
This is just another nail in the SG coffin'. It's worse than the persistant rumours about Star Trek's imminent demise, prior to the latest movie. SG1 was a great show, which unfortunately ran for too long (should've ended at season 8 when RDA left the show). SGA was another great show (thou not as good as SG1), which was cancelled prematurely to make room for:

SGU, which imho is the most boring and bland incarnation of Stargate to date. I've tried to enjoy the show for the first 10 episodes, and from time to time, it's had it's moments. What really pisses me off about SGU, comes down to 3 simple facts:

- 1. The scientists on the ship are either inept or bored, and have no interest in "exploration" of the ship or through the gate.
- 2. The military on the ship are under-qualified, and under-disciplined, prone to sexual encounters with fellow officers at a whim.
- 3. No "structured" leadership on the ship, instead resorting to use of communication stones to "chat with Earth".

It's been 10 episodes so far, and all we've had are people having sex with each other in almost every episode, scientists and civilians alike, whining about wanting to get home, and the constant bickering between lead characters Rush and Young. I think by now, the SGU audience, knows that the people on the ship are in constant peril, and that they are trying to get home. Instead of shoving it in our faces in every episode, they should let the characters do some actual "Stargate" exploration of both the ship itself, the knowledge it may contain as well as the use of the onboard stargate.

In any command structure, one would assume that the officers behave in a suitable manner. A clearcut chain of command should be estabilished, and the actual leadership should be given to a civilian (my nomination is on Rush or Wray). Neither the IOA or Homeworld Command on Earth should have any say-so, of what goes on aboard Destiny. I am confident, that given enough time, the ship and/or crew will eventually make it back to Earth. So far when Earth has had any involvement in a "rescue attempt", it has instead resulted in further jeopardy.

In short: If the next 10 episodes of SGU is the same bland and repetitive crap we've seen thus far, I would like the show cancelled, and SGA brought out of mothballs. The producers have promised 2 additional Stargate movies (1 SG1 & 1 SGA), which currently most likely will never be made.

You seem to have utterly missed the point of the whole show.

1- They're not inept or bored, they simply have no desire to explore. They want to get home.
2- Under-qualified? They were supposed to be providing security for a top secret base in the Milky-way, not running a ship. Under-disciplined? Other than the bald guy, they've all followed orders almost without question. Prone to sexual encounters? Scott and James, Scott and Chloe and that scientist woman and Greer hardly counts as "prone". Besides, they're all alone on the other side of the universe, you can't really expect them not to pair off.
3- There's not enough people for a full hierachical command structure. Young is in command (Weir/Hammond/Gen O'Neill), Wray is like PR, Rush is lead scientist (Jackson/McKay) and Scott is the actual main Military guy (Col O'Neill/Mitchell/Sheppard). What more of a command structure do you need for about 3 dozen people?

Yes, the constant sexual substories are a little annoying, but its not like they're major plot points. And the whole premise of the series IS that they are in constant peril and trying to get home. Not explore.
MUSE!!!

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #497 on: February 22, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Limey: I've not missed the "whole point of the show". I realize the show is trying to be more realistic than it's predecessors. But in my opinion, it's trying too hard to be like BSG, and too little to be like Stargate. Which results in alienating a large amount of it's fans (including me).

1. If they wanna get home, why aren't they cracking codes on the computers trying to get information to help them get home faster? Instead of sitting around sulking and whining about it.

2. They've been stuck on the ship for what amounts to a few weeks. I'd say the whole "pairing off" happened a little too fast.

3. They are around 100 people aboard the ship, of which about 1/3rd is military personell. Perhaps they should get their command structure in order, before "beaming" back to Earth, to beat the crap out of people (Young vs Telford).
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline limey BSc.

« Reply #498 on: February 22, 2010, 11:17:34 AM »
Limey: I've not missed the "whole point of the show". I realize the show is trying to be more realistic than it's predecessors. But in my opinion, it's trying too hard to be like BSG, and too little to be like Stargate. Which results in alienating a large amount of it's fans (including me).

1. If they wanna get home, why aren't they cracking codes on the computers trying to get information to help them get home faster? Instead of sitting around sulking and whining about it.

2. They've been stuck on the ship for what amounts to a few weeks. I'd say the whole "pairing off" happened a little too fast.

3. They are around 100 people aboard the ship, of which about 1/3rd is military personell. Perhaps they should get their command structure in order, before "beaming" back to Earth, to beat the crap out of people (Young vs Telford).

1. That's exactly what Rush is doing. From what I gathered none of the other scientist speak Ancient, so can't really help. Plus, Rush obviously likes to work alone.

2. You forget, they've all been on a base for the last 6 months or so. You don't know that Greer and that scientist wern't screwing each other before. As for Scott and Chloe, I thought it was pretty obvious they were gonna get together after their little chat just after Senator Armstrong killed himself.

3. Well, around 70 or 80 and I think you're overestimating the number of military personnel. As for a command structure, what's wrong with their ranks? Besides, so far, with the exception of the bald marine guy, they've followed youngs orders without question.
MUSE!!!

Offline Vanguard

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #499 on: February 22, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »
In SG:U. They're stranded, thousands of years from home, on a ship without any of their creature comforts, cut off from everybody they love. People are going to start to look for company with each other to try and make out for that abruptly formed hole in their psyche (probably not the right word). Hence the pairing begins, plus the constant threats, another incentive for people to 'pair off'...