Author Topic: random crashes with any ships/bases  (Read 1349 times)

iniq

random crashes with any ships/bases
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:09:11 PM »
Ive looked around and can't find any thread that has helped me to fix my problem yet. I've recently installed alot of new ships etc.. and I have foundation and bcmod packager and bcmi and nanofx.

Basically after what seems a random amount of time playing (quick battle) (could be 30 seconds, could be 10 mins or more) the game just crashes to desktop, no blackscreen. It only happens when I use a custom ship (it doesnt happen when I only play with stock ships), but it seems to be any custom ship, although I have noticed some crash more than others and it always happens very fast when ever I use thise ship.

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Krenim_Timeship;23564

Is there anywhere/way I can find some sort of log to see what made the game crash. I read that some people say look in the log report but I can't seem to find this report, please direct me to it, is it another mod I need?

I hope someone can help me with my problem, thankyou

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
Re: random crashes with any ships/bases
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 11:14:59 PM »
a crash to desktop sometimes indicates a missing projectile.
look in the requeriments of the ships you use to see if you need Durandal's torpedo pack, or Elminster's or any projectile pack.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:43:01 AM »
I agree, also, to get a console report please see the wonderful sticky made by MLeo at the top of the forum.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:53:04 AM »
This can be also that the Krenim Timeship doesn't support damage, so you have to turn visible damage off in order to play this ship.

iniq

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 10:09:28 AM »
This can be also that the Krenim Timeship doesn't support damage, so you have to turn visible damage off in order to play this ship.

Thank you everyone for the advise.

The part i quoted seems to have fixed the timeship. In game I press ~ and enter ( I  think this is how to get console report?) and it gives me some KRENIM errors also, I will test other ships too.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 04:46:23 PM »
That's another reason people should read the readme files, they mayb become very useful in such issues, gl in future :D

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 05:45:46 PM »
What do the Kremin errors say?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

iniq

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 06:53:52 PM »
The Krenim errors say this:  (I also get very similar errors with other ships)

Code: [Select]
  File ".\Scripts\Tactical\Projectiles\KrenimPulse.py", line 35, in Create
    pTorp.SetNetType (Multiplayer.SpeciesToTorp.KRENIM)
AttributeError: KRENIM

The game hasnt crashed much now since I turned off the visible damage, but admittably I've only really been playing with really low poly and simple ships because I wanted to minimize the crash chance, because i want to play the game, not play the crashes :(

Another error I keep finding is this one
ImportError: No module named (null)
ImportError: No module named LargeMissile
these errors are both repeated about a dozen times.
it comes from a babylon5 pack I have installed.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 08:18:08 AM »
you can simply add:
"DamageRadMod" : 0.0,
"DamageStrMod" : 0.0
in the kShipStats section in a ships .py file (not the hardpoint file) so you don't have to turn off the damage...

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 12:16:16 PM »
replace that .KRENIM for .PHOTONTORPEDO

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 12:25:12 PM »
And this:
ImportError: No module named (null)means a pulse weapon without a projectile file.
And this:
ImportError: No module named LargeMissile"Simply" means a missing projectile file.

In either case, this ought to just crash as soon as you use a projectile or a pulse weapon (both as player and as AI).

Contact the author for a fix.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

iniq

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 07:14:09 AM »
I made the changes you all mentioned and now it just says displays the loadingscreen for ever and ever. I think i'm going to  just forget about this particular ship, and the others that give that weapon error that crash straight away :( thanks for the help anyway.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 10:54:54 AM »
What changes did you made, and what loading screen?
Also, try alt + tab and see if you have a BC icon there.
Go there and Alt+Printscreen that particular window and put the image up here.

iniq

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 07:42:23 PM »
I made the code changed that were suggested.
 The loading screen you get when you start a quick battle and it displays the star trek people sat at consoles infront of a viewscreen and it says "loading" on the viewscreen. I pressed alt+tab it does show a BC icon- kind of. It doesnt have a pretty picture or anything, its just a default window icon. It wouldnt let me take a screenshot, it auto closes when I press alt+printscreen.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 11:59:58 AM »
I mean the "real" BC icon (can be stretched), but not the default window icon.
It's the debug console (the window with the real bc icon).