Author Topic: two questions, pleas help  (Read 881 times)

Offline USSGalileo

• Cookies: 1
two questions, pleas help
« on: November 29, 2007, 01:46:45 AM »
First, I got a new computer with vista and installed BC on it and the first time it worked for a while.  But then I had to take it off once and when I reinstalled it things when bad.  The program installed but when I went to play that black screen with the curser on it came up.  I set it to test mode and checked and it said that there where errors in some of the scripts, it even noted specific lines.  I don?t get it how can there be errors in the files that came straight off the disk?

Second, I got around whatever problem I was having by installing the game on an external memory.  The problem here is I haven?t been able to get the game to work with any modes.  The original game plays fine but the only time there is any change in the game is when I install thing that over write things in the original game.  (For example I was able to replace stock ships)

Could someone explain ether of these problems?

Thanks

Picard_1

Re: two questions, pleas help
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 03:22:11 AM »
If you're replacing stock ships you'll need dasher42's foundation to support custom ships

So you were having problems with your original install and now it's working, but you have errors
regarding installation of custom ships? If this is the issue than there are several options available.

You can get it with BCMI Final here http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/BCMI_final;10490

Or you can get BCMP which has the latest version here http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/BCMI_final;10490

Either one you choose will ask you if you want to install foundation to your BC install when executing the program

However, most of the newer mods such as KM 0.9 and 1.0 include foundation(you don't have to install it) and include a variety of custom ships.

Another useful tool is USS Sovereign's ship menu creator. The newest one is version 4.0 found here http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Bridge_Commander_Ship_Menu_Creator;84710

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 03:27:23 AM »
if you installed mods before you reinstalled it may not have deleted everything via the uninstall utility,
when i have uninstalled it in the past sometimes a few items are left over in the scripts folder, when you re-installed it part of files from other mods may have stayed in the install and caused problems,

Try reinstalling it again, but after uninstalling goto the Activision folder and delete the Bridge Commander folder therefor deleting any left over files that could screw up the game,

Alot of people are running BC in vista and dont have any problems so i highly doubt it would be that :)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 05:06:31 PM »
Before you do anything, could you get us a screenshot of what the console says?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline USSGalileo

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 11:39:01 PM »
I do have BCMI and BCMP, the thing is that every time I open one it comes up with the message about the foundation not being installed.  I click on install and it says that the foundation is now instilled.  Also I have gone in and deleted the BC file out of the Activision folder and was still having a problem. 

About a screenshot, like I said, currently I don't have BC on my main drive which is where I was having that problem.  I'll go back and double check that every thing is deleted and install it again and see what happens and if it dose it again I'll post a screenshot.  I need to know how to get a screen of it though; I only know how to take shots in game.

Something else, I might have changed the compatibility to be set for XP which is what my old computer had.  Could this have something to do with it?

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 12:39:40 AM »
The thread is Stickied on how to get a console screenshot, but to save you time looking it here it is :)
http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,57.0.html.

I dont think it would be needed to change the compatibility settings to XP,
The problem would most likely be associated with your BC install rather than Vista

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 10:04:19 AM »
Could you describe the actions you are taking?

Since multiple installs don't matter to BC (didn't Nebula have 7 or something like that?).
So just moving an install around won't matter (or it shouldn't).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline USSGalileo

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 06:46:33 PM »
Here is the history of BC on my new computer.  First I loaded it to my hard drive, and it worked fine.  I added some modes and was trying to make some modifications myself.  I am hadn?t tried to make changes of any real size before and I did something that messed up the game.  So I decided to start over.  I uninstalled BC deleted all the files and then reinstalled it.  On that reinstall is when I started having problems.  When I go to start the game I get the blank screen with the curser on it.  At this point test mode brought up the information saying that some of the scripts had errors in them.  I tried to remove and reinstall the game several times and it was still having the same problem.

So next I completely removed the game again and this time when I installed it I put all the files on a two gig jump drive.  Doing this got the game to run.  But I can?t get the game to play any modes I add in.  If I make changes to the files in the original game install then they work.  For example I replaced the stock model for the Sovereign class but when I added an Intrepid model the game doesn?t bring it up.  The mutaters button isn't even coming up in the options menu.  I have tried to install the official patch but it says that it is already installed.

So I have two installs of BC, one on my main hard drive the other on my jump drive.  The one on my jump drive works but won?t let me add things to it.  And the one on my hard drive comes up with the blank screen with the curser. 

I will post the error I get in test mode when I get the chance; in the mean time is any of this reliant to my problem?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 12:36:15 PM »
Have you installed the Foundation?