Author Topic: Problems taking screenshots  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Erk

• never forget the name... Enterprise
  • Cookies: 5
  • Enterprise: boldness or readiness in undertaking
Problems taking screenshots
« on: May 11, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »
hello everyone, I recently discovered that i havent been taking screenshots ingame. needless to say i was very very upset to find my Screenshots folder empty after believing to have taken so many. i then tried renaming the folder. i used: screenshots, screen shots, Screenshots, and Screen Shots. all failed. i then checked the ingame menu to see if the Key was configured correctly, and it does indeed say "Screenshot = Prt Scr".  I honestly dont know where to look to see if there is a scripting error or pathway typo. thank you for your time.

-Erk

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
Re: Problems taking screenshots
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 12:09:06 PM »
I use to have a similar issue,
I have an F lock key on my keyboard (A microsoft one) Which Disables the F1, F2 etc keys,
I have to turn the F lock off (So the F1 etc keys are disabled) otherwise my print screen button doesn't work.

Offline Erk

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 12:21:57 PM »
i dont seem to have an F lock key, although i wouldnt be surprise if my issue is similar to yours. i can capture the screen with print screen, but in order to save it, id have to open Paint, paste it, and save it. That becomes very very annoying after a while. its not even worth taking pictures if i have to go through that process. all i can say is ...modern computers... :?

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 12:53:35 PM »
I had similiar issue but it was all about windows vista, all I had to do was turning off some visual blah blah composition on BC shortcut then set its compatibility to windows xp/nt/ etc. etc. etc. and it's working again :D

Offline Erk

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 01:11:21 PM »
that might... just... work!

Offline Erk

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 01:38:44 PM »
um... what did you set yours to exactly bones?  i got mine to run XP style, but it still wont take the screenies

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
The directory must be:
Code: [Select]
Screen Shots
The Fn lock is usually only on laptop keyboards, on which there is no printscreen button.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 05:35:58 PM »
The Fn lock is usually only on laptop keyboards, on which there is no printscreen button.

Almost every multimedia keyboard I've ever had has had an F-lock key, no matter how crappy the keyboard. My current keyboard doesn't have one, but it's the epitome of the term 'basic'.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 05:41:11 PM »

Almost every multimedia keyboard I've ever had has had an F-lock key, no matter how crappy the keyboard. My current keyboard doesn't have one, but it's the epitome of the term 'basic'.
Well, I have one of those crappy multimedia keys, and yes, it has an alternate Function key button, but that doesn't affect the Print Screen/SysRq key.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Erk

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 10:00:13 PM »
well i got a nice HP keyboard and no F lock. but gentlemen, the issue isnt keyboard layouts. I think it is a Vista compatibility issue. although im not sure what or where to go to fix it. i looked in the BC shortcut and i have the following options:

Compatibility:

Run this program in compatibility mode for:
Windows XP (Service Pack 2)     (what ive selected)

Settings:

run in 256 colors
run in 640x480 screen resolution
disable visual themes
disable desktop compositions
disable display scaling on high DPI settings

i can check off any of the settings, i just dont know which. suggestions?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 07:51:28 AM »
If any, then it would be the lower 3.

I suspect that all the other keys do work?

You could attempt doing this in the console:
App.g_kKeyboardBinding.BindKey(App.WC_PRINTSCREEN, App.TGKeyboardEvent.KS_KEYUP, App.ET_INPUT_PRINT_SCREEN, App.KeyboardBinding.GET_EVENT, 0)
Or, atleast to test that it actually works:
App.g_kSystemWrapper.TakeScreenshot()That ought to produce a screenshot in the right directory (if it can).

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 10:52:45 AM »
you could also try a thrid party screen capper such as screenhunter, in which you specify the key and the folder and file type to save as. Might be easier than trying to spend time actualy solving the current problem.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline Erk

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 07:59:05 PM »
heres a readout of my problem:   

(p.s. i used i think alt+prt scr to take it, which means it does work while playing BC, so theres no Key lock)

the folder is empty still. however, the game does pause after hitting the print screen button. i remember it used to always do that on my old computer, so it must be trying to do something.

*edit* i realized that i didnt capitalize Screenshot in .TakeScreenshot. i corrected it in game but there was no change

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 08:07:28 AM »
What did it say afterwards?
Just a new input line?

Then delete your Screen Shots directory and create a new one exactly as I posted the name (copy paste it, do not transcribe, it's not that I don't trust you, it's that I know how fallable people are).

Offline Erk

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 10:20:36 AM »
i copied and pasted the directory name, still nothing. its really quite bizarre. im sure other people have Vista and can still take screenshots.... very very interesting. there must be something im overlooking... but what?...

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 12:45:32 PM »
Try moving your BC directory to something other than Program Files

Say, C:\Games\

Also, do your mutators, keybindings and other options stick?