Author Topic: Starship Titanic  (Read 3254 times)

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
Re: Starship Titanic
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 11:49:01 AM »
I really tempted to build the Dr. Who Titanic. :D  If anyone has any good reference material, please PM me.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 04:03:41 PM »

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 04:36:12 PM »
Thanks for the pics, and I also found the whole episode that someone posted on myspace.  This should be fun.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline Nathanius

• Intriguing...
  • Cookies: 0
  • STC - Developer
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 11:53:30 PM »
This is an interesting conclusion... The Titanic gets some attention due to my post, but it's the wrong Titanic! (sighs loudly)  :(
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Offline undedavenger

• It's simple. I reek of awesomeness, and you don't.
  • Cookies: 14
    • Official Star Trek Century Myspace!
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 12:48:18 AM »
Actually, it looks very "Knights of the Old Republic" to me might be good to use in a Star Wars mod for BC!
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."

Offline Mustang

• Resident Movie Critic
  • Cookies: 46
  • Muse Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 03:41:26 PM »
Heh, actually it does look Star Wars-ish. Both of the Titanics featured in this thread do...

Still pretty awesome, though.

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 11:00:26 AM »
This is an interesting conclusion... The Titanic gets some attention due to my post, but it's the wrong Titanic! (sighs loudly)  :(

LOL. That titanic is ugly. The Dr who one is cool. What did u expect?
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 01:36:44 PM »

Nothing Douglas Adams had a say in is ugly, except Vogons, but he, Douglas Adams, made them that way. ;)
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 02:11:27 PM »

Nothing Douglas Adams had a say in is ugly, except Vogons, but he, Douglas Adams, made them that way. ;)

Agreed.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Nathanius

• Intriguing...
  • STC - Developer
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 10:31:53 PM »
If it was actually ugly, do you think you'd be the first person to say so?

If you disagree, and you feel the need to let other people know what you think about anything at all, and you want other people to view you as someone respectable, then you at least need to be civil with your replys!

for example, when reading your post I felt you were a cretin. See? That's much better!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
    • Facebook
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 12:28:17 AM »
A cretin? I don't even know who this adams character is, but you posted is obscure version of a starship titanic which probably next to nobody has heard of a few days after the Dr who ep airs so naturaly that one will be brought up, and acted surprised that the other is mentioned, and since it's actualy been on a popular tv show and actualy resembles the liner (as dumb as that my be for a space vessel) the fanboyish ship is going to win. Just because I pointed that out to you and mentioned the titanic you posted was ugly doesn't make me any less respectable. If you don't like my opinion of his titanic, fine. But it doesn't make me a cretin. If you still think it does, I'm not going to worry about it. I've been insulted worse by little kids on my schoolbus, so it's no big deal.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 02:41:20 AM »

Personally, I quite prefer it... I dunno what it is about designs like that, but... Yum. That's all I can think...

Perhaps I should eat...  :? But I'd prefer the funky Titanic (I haven't seen it break in half yet.)

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Nathanius

• Intriguing...
  • STC - Developer
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 04:21:35 AM »
A cretin? I don't even know who this adams character is, but you posted is obscure version of a starship titanic which probably next to nobody has heard of a few days after the Dr who ep airs so naturaly that one will be brought up, and acted surprised that the other is mentioned, and since it's actualy been on a popular tv show and actualy resembles the liner (as dumb as that my be for a space vessel) the fanboyish ship is going to win. Just because I pointed that out to you and mentioned the titanic you posted was ugly doesn't make me any less respectable. If you don't like my opinion of his titanic, fine. But it doesn't make me a cretin. If you still think it does, I'm not going to worry about it. I've been insulted worse by little kids on my schoolbus, so it's no big deal.

clarifying point #1: You didn't feel insulted because of the delicate wording I used, I was demonstrating how to express opinions without offending people who hold a conflicting view.

Glad I succeeded, sorry about the little kids teasing you. They should give up when they age a bit.

clarifying point #2: I didn't even know that there was a new Dr Who series, let alone that they'd done a Titanic themed episode days before I posted Douglas Adams' Titanic. Not all of us have Foxtel and the Sci Fi channel, and you have to wait for the pirate copy to come out in China (where I am) before you can see things that the Chinese Government decides isn't good for prime time TV. So you'll excuse my unawareness of the precipitous screening of said Dr Who episode.

clarifying point #3: Douglas Adams was (may his soul rest in peace, he was athiest so i'm not going to insult him with a "bless his dearly departed soul") a writer who has such masterpieces as the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (in 5 parts i think it ended at), the Dirk Gently books and the game Starship Titanic (coincidentally the topic of my initial post) and many other things to his name. The quote at the bottom of my signature should give you a vague concept about what Mr Adams was like, and why so many people admired him and his work.

If you call yourself a sci fi fan and am not familiar with him or his works then I suggest you familiarise yourself before people intentionally insult you, people with more wit then the kids who join you on your bus rides~

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 04:38:42 AM »
If you call yourself a sci fi fan and am not familiar with him or his works then I suggest you familiarise yourself before people intentionally insult you, people with more wit then the kids who join you on your bus rides~

Eh? I'm a sci-fi fan. :) I LOVE Star Trek and BSG in particular! The 'Alien(s)' series was really cool, too! Uhm... OOOH! the Quake 4 game was TOTALLY AWESOME, too! Mind you, I lost all my game data and now I have to play it all over again since I was only at like... THE VERY LAST FRAKKING PART!! D':

:3 I love Fantasy, too!

Anyways, to be blunt, I have never seen Doctor Who. Nor have I heard of it until this past year. I have, also, never heard of this 'Douglas Adams'. Perhaps vaguely, at best. But does that make me any less of a fan? I don't think so. Yeah, I totally respect the people that make the shows, but I see little relevance in knowing every little thing about them. Like, I know Gene Roddenberry and George Lucas... uhm... that's about it for the sci fi. :P Just because people don't know the authors doesn't make them any less of a fan, or any less appreciative for the works they enjoy... hence how they enjoy it. In any case, I don't think there's much of a reason to critisize a person for not knowing an author. Just like I believe this entire discussion is entirely irrelevant to the topic at hand... There's two ships. A sleek kinda nifty lookin' Titanic (imo, of course) and a bulky remake of the original HMS(?). Which one is being made? The second (right...? I think...? *dumb moment*) So who cares, now? Let us sit back and wait for the product, aye? :) be happy, peeps! if *I* can be happy under my circumstances, so can you! :D :D :D Be chipper, dangit!

Back on-topic...

can't wait to see some progress. :3

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 07:41:12 AM »
Aeries is right. People do not need to know the details on every author out there. Infact, people who wish to comment in this thread need not the same level of knowledge about anything as yourself in order to place a comment. I commented about the 2 ships at hand.

Lastly, Nathanius, since you obviously didn't get the point the first time...I didn't feel insulted because I chose not to be. Not because of your so called "delecate wording." The fact remains, you called me a name, a "cretin" which on this forum is considered a personal attack, regardless of how minor or petty it might be. If people cannot express a view of the Startship Titanic or anything else that is contrary to yours without being called a name, or without the threat of such, (regardless if it involves a staff member such as myself)then this thread will be locked. Being from China is irrelevant. If your response to this post is anything less than "yes sir", this thread is finished. Please return to the discussion of the Titanic(s).
Read my mod blog!

Offline Nathanius

• Intriguing...
  • STC - Developer
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 08:07:16 AM »
I request that this thread be deleted, it's original purpose was usurped and it is now irrelevent.

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 08:48:20 AM »
I believe the original purpose of this thread was to generate a new ship idea, which it seems Wiley is quite interested in doing.
This thread therefore is not irrelevant, or its purpose usurped, it has therefore produced the desired result.

clarifying point #2: I didn't even know that there was a new Dr Who series, let alone that they'd done a Titanic themed episode days before I posted Douglas Adams' Titanic. Not all of us have Foxtel and the Sci Fi channel, and you have to wait for the pirate copy to come out in China (where I am) before you can see things that the Chinese Government decides isn't good for prime time TV. So you'll excuse my unawareness of the precipitous screening of said Dr Who episode.

Discussion of Warez and insulting other board members is expressly forbidden in the site rules.
3 day ban.

If people wish to continue discussing the topic, please carry on.

El.