Author Topic: Original Enterprise built on Earth? - Debate your heart out.  (Read 5257 times)

Offline RifleMan80

• BC Veteran since February, 2002
  • Cookies: 136
  • BC Machinima Bridge Commander Elder (Feb 02)
    • Rifle's Bridge Commander Machinima
Re: Original Enterprise built on Earth? - Debate your heart out.
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 08:19:32 AM »
 I believe the movie might clear this question. I hope so anyway.

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »
To tell you the truth, I think the ship MAY have been built on earth. Judging by the Star Trek XI trailer, its looks like it was built on the surface. But, the TOS books i'v read states that the ship was built in Drydock Sigma, San Fransisco Shpyards in earth orbit. and the TMP Enterprise was probably also built or just assembled in that drydock. Too many sources say something different. It would probably be easier building it on the surface. But I still support that the Enterprise was built in orbit.

Since when have novels EVER been considered proper Trek lore?

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 01:27:46 PM »
It isn't. On-screen = canon. No novels, companions or what the production folks or the actors say.

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »
TNG tech manual is considered cannon. Also VOY: Threshold isn't considered cannon.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

intrepid90

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 05:44:21 PM »
TNG tech manual is considered cannon. Also VOY: Threshold isn't considered cannon.

threshold=/=canon??
it's on screen, and as blaxxxer pointed out, this is the dfeinitionof canon

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 05:56:45 PM »
Many fans dismissed it as being cannon. It was an exception.

If you read this article it can help (especially at the bottom of the page but the rest of it is funny)
http://www.agonybooth.com/recaps/Star_Trek/Voyager/Threshold.aspx?Page=7

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 06:48:24 PM »
The fans can't say jack. Threshold is canon, the technical manual is not. The latter confirmed by Mike Okuda, although he admits that it is "highly correct."

This isn't Star Wars, we can't have people saying things are not canon just because they don't like them.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 07:01:35 PM »
Then who decides what's cannon then???

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2008, 07:12:35 PM »
Then who decides what's cannon then???
I believe it depents on the caliber? If it is 20mm and above it usually gets classified as a cannon. :P

Personally, I say that canon is only what has been directly created/imagined/had a hand into, by the original Creator himself. (Gene Roddenberry).
Anything beyond that now matter how many sticks they might wave is just a fanboy interpretation and anyones imagination is as good as anyone elses.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 04:29:43 AM »
Or, to expand on what actual Trek canon is: Any televised or movie material published by the studio that holds the rights to the source material.

And, lukerobin, Threshold is canon, whether you like it or not. The TNG manual, while highly correct is not, in any shape or form, canon.
And, for that matter, TAS is not canon.

Pegasus

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 10:29:02 AM »
Or, to expand on what actual Trek canon is: Any televised or movie material published by the studio that holds the rights to the source material.

And, lukerobin, Threshold is canon, whether you like it or not. The TNG manual, while highly correct is not, in any shape or form, canon.
And, for that matter, TAS is not canon.

This is what defines Canon.
Hell, if the Masses had their way, they'd say Enterprise was no Canon. Though, unfortunately, due to the fact it was broadcast under the creators names, it is considered such.

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »
At least it's better than Star Wars with the "any novelization is canon!" approach.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
At least it's better than Star Wars with the "any novelization is canon!" approach.

[OT]Well, any published material has to be greenlit by LFL's very own Leland Chee, so a sufficient level of continuity is maintained. The only one NOT caring about this, seemingly is The Flanelled One himself, what with the new clone wars animated movie and the force unleashed. [/OT]

Back to the topic at hand.

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 05:33:21 PM »
I don't really see atmospheric flight to be that much of a problem. The ship can handle billions of Gs of accelleration through combination of SIF and Warp Field. Superheated gasses would be the biggest problem, and they can be overcome by taking it easy.

The problem with an actual landing is the contact forces. In a specially designed dock built to take advantage of certain 'jack points' like on a car I can see a starship resting safely on a planetary surface in one piece.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 05:43:28 PM »

And, lukerobin, Threshold is canon, whether you like it or not.

I liked the episode, i've got no problem with it. I'm just stating what i've heared.

Taken from StarTrek.com

"As a rule of thumb, the events that take place within the live-action episodes and movies are canon, or official Star Trek facts. Story lines, characters, events, stardates, etc. that take place within the fictional novels, video games, the Animated Series, and the various comic lines have traditionally not been considered part of the canon. But canon is not something set in stone; even events in some of the movies have been called into question as to whether they should be considered canon! Ultimately, the fans, the writers and the producers may all differ on what is considered canon and the very idea of what is canon has become more fluid, especially as there isn't a single voice or arbiter to decide. Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry was accustomed to making statements about canon, but even he was known to change his mind. "

Even Gene Roddenebrry changed his mind about canon. What if an event happens in one series of ST but get contridicted in another. What one is the true canon? That's where personal canon comes in ("not set in stone") to make ends meet.  

I'm not gonna go on about this anymore because it's ridiculous.

Back to topic:

I think its reasonable that the 1701 could have been constructed on earth and then somehow launched, if something the size of a galaxy class can,
I cant why see a constitution class couldn't..

It would be similar to the way the build modern warships, like the new Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers, they will be built in "blocks" by the contracter and assembled in dry dock before being launched and fitted out, makes sense to handle the "blocks" of a starship in a similar fasion.

I have to agree with both those statements. The galaxy is much bigger and they're built on a planet, and it would be much easier building the parts on a surface instead of in space.

Is there anything stopping the ships being locked on with a tractor beam and pulled into space from another ship?

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 12:55:18 PM »
Here's my addition to this discussion that also brings the Connie & Galaxy closer together.

Saucer separation.  Both ships were capable of separating the saucer section from the secondary hull.  Though in the Connie's case, it would have been done as a last resort in an emergency since it was primitive in those days.  Nevertheless, if said saucers were to land on a planetary surface, they would be susceptible to the forces of gravity.  Now, remember that if these ships WERE completely constructed in orbit, they would have never been subject to gravity.  Naturally, of course, the ships had structural integrity fields...IF there was power to them.  Look at the Enterprise-D's destruction.  When she hit Veridian 3, she had no power left after landing.  That includes the SIF's.  If the ship hadn't been built to withstand gravitic pressures, the entire saucer would've collapsed like a giant pancake.  The same would hold true for EVERY starship capable of planetfall, from the saucer of a Constitution-class starship to the Defiant(which DID have landing pads) to Voyager to even the Sovereign saucer.

Also blaxxer, thanks for posting that image of the Galaxy on Mars, that'll be good for shutting up one of my friends next time he starts to argue about there not being precedent.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 06:37:42 PM »
Here's my addition to this discussion that also brings the Connie & Galaxy closer together.

Saucer separation.  Both ships were capable of separating the saucer section from the secondary hull.  Though in the Connie's case, it would have been done as a last resort in an emergency since it was primitive in those days.  Nevertheless, if said saucers were to land on a planetary surface, they would be susceptible to the forces of gravity.  Now, remember that if these ships WERE completely constructed in orbit, they would have never been subject to gravity.  Naturally, of course, the ships had structural integrity fields...IF there was power to them.  Look at the Enterprise-D's destruction.  When she hit Veridian 3, she had no power left after landing.  That includes the SIF's.  If the ship hadn't been built to withstand gravitic pressures, the entire saucer would've collapsed like a giant pancake.  The same would hold true for EVERY starship capable of planetfall, from the saucer of a Constitution-class starship to the Defiant(which DID have landing pads) to Voyager to even the Sovereign saucer.

Also blaxxer, thanks for posting that image of the Galaxy on Mars, that'll be good for shutting up one of my friends next time he starts to argue about there not being precedent.

They can create artificial gravity on ships so why can't they simulate gravity in space? (Although I completely agree with you :D)

Offline Judge King

• USAF Phoenix CO
  • Cookies: 18
  • Hail to the king of battle!
    • XSGCOM Wiki
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 09:36:29 PM »

You forgot to mention that the Prometheus Class could also land on planets. If you look at its MSD, you can see landing struts.
Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 04:38:16 PM »
Why is it so hard to accept that Starfleet and the Federation have planet side ship construction facilities. I assume they'd have quite extensive construction yards to build shuttles and runabouts so why couldn't that extend to starships?

You've mentioned about the varoius ships with landing capacity, due to production sources starships landing on planets goes right back to TOS with the Connie's saucer being able to land on a planets surface.

It would also make sense that the reason Starfleet seem to design such sleek craft is so they can fly or extend periods in a planets atmosphere and above the planets surface. Shuttles do and they aren't as any where near as powerful as a starship.

That's my two cents! lol