Author Topic: What about the NCO's?  (Read 2944 times)

Weasel

Re: What about the NCO's?
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 04:17:41 AM »
There were also quite a few on Enterprise, particularly the MACO troops.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 04:20:59 AM »
I think they should brinf the MACOs back. One of the single coolest elements introduced to ENT.

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 05:59:16 PM »
I think they should brinf the MACOs back. One of the single coolest elements introduced to ENT.

I hate to bump this needlessly, but two words;

Hazard Team :P
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 03:48:07 PM »

I'd have to agree with you.

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »
I dunno on TNG I saw plenty of NCO's look for the guys wearing the season 1-2 uniform up till season 6 i belive, those where your NCO's also I noticed plenty of people without any rank pips would those not be a crewman? And we did geta few episodes with alot DS9 Battle of AR513 (i think tahts the name) most of those guys where crewman, bad ass crewmen ill add

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
One of the reasons we didn't see many NCOs in trek was Gene thought that in order to be an astronaut they would have to be highly trained, since it was the 60s and space exploration was still a new thing, think about it, most astronauts at that time were Navy and Airforce officers above the rank of Cmdr./Lt. Col.  We saw some in the movies, but mainly because of Directors like Myer who wanted a more military feel.  Again the first few seasons of TNG were helmed by Gene, hence no NCOs.  If I had to make up an in universe reason, it would probably be that maybe it's comparitively easier to get into Starfleet Academy than it is to get into modern military academies, we see children on TNG and DS9 studying Calculus and quantum physics and stuff, maybe there's just a higher percentage of children who meet the requirements to attend.

Personally I use NCOs all the time in my fanfic.

(As any good Chief would tell you, NCOs and Crewman are not the same BTW.  NCO specifically refers to Petty officers or Sergeants, not Privates/Airman/Seaman/Crewman, who are Enlisted men.)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 04:56:46 PM »
If memory serves.... was Chakotay and the rest of the Maquis not officially NCOs. They did not have the propper rank insignia, nor were they officially officers.

your memory serves you right. The just had a field commission.

yeah, and Chakotay was Lt. Cmdr.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Chakotay_2371.jpg
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Vgr_ltcmdr.png

Well.. Memory-Alpha lists him as 'Commander' but if you look at that rank, it looks like Lt. Cmdr.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 05:50:43 PM »
Chakotay held the provisional rank of a Starfleet Lt. Commander. As did most of the rest of the Maquis. There were some Maquis however that still were simple "Crewmen" without any given rank. Chakotay while being a Lt. Commander, was always referred to as a Commander, simply because that's fairly customary.

Lt. Commander Data was a Lt. Commander for the entire run of TNG and it's movies, and was pretty much called Commander Data every time.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 07:11:13 PM »
but didnt Janeway introduce her original first officer as Lieutenant Commander Cavit in the first ep? :P

Voyager had a number of rank errors in the first few seasons anyway, with Tuvok, Torres, Paris, (and others?)...  that did always irk me...
(but that could be another convo for another thread)

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 11:43:40 PM »
well refering to them as commander is just tradation, Lt JR are still called Lieutenant and Lt Cmdrs are still called Commanders. Even Rear, and Vice Admirals are simply called Admiral. Even in todays Military shortanged ranks are common. In ROTC we had a Lt Col who we just Called Colonel. Calling the full rank is usally for formal military matters where dress uniform is worn.