Author Topic: Help with modding  (Read 838 times)

Larousse1995

Help with modding
« on: June 15, 2008, 12:33:48 AM »
ok Before every1 ges angry at me for a new thread, i searched "modding help" and "how to mod" and nothing came up.  Obviously every1 knows how to mod except me.  I s there a program i need to download?  Does said program come with BC?  Is it hard and confusing/complicating to mod?  All this time im asuming mod means create a ship/starbase.

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
Re: Help with modding
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 01:18:11 AM »
Here are some initial basic steps in order to get mods in BC:

1. Install BC

2. DL & install BC patch 1.1

3. Install Microsoft .Net Framework (get this from Microsoft.com

4. Install BCMI and/or BCMP to get the Foundation system that gives the ability to add mods to the raw BC game. This is the key componant to add anything to BC... Thanks to Dasher42

5. My first recommendation for your 1st install would be RedDragon's Steamrunner. It's an old mod but a good 1st one to get you familiarized on how to add mods. You can find it here:

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Redragon_Steamrunner_Class;7470

6. Remember to be patient and follow the installation instructions carefully. In other words, read the Readme's.

7. Most importantly, back up your original BC install into a separate folder/location on your HD. This is in case you screw up.... no worries, you have a fresh back up to copy over the screwed up one and you can start over again.

Finally, be courteous and cool in these forums... you'll find no better or more helpful people than you will here on BCC.

Welcome aboard cadet.

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 01:22:09 AM »
So if you assume "mod" means create a ship  (starbases are ships with a few different attributes), why don't you search for:

"creating ships"
"how to create a ship"
"how to create ships"
"adding ships to the game"

etc, etc, etc....?

But if what you want is just adding a mod (of any kind) to your BC, after downloading it, than pretty much you gotta do what moed said.
However tho I would recommend the mod KM1 (which is a pack of a lot of good mods), checking the *Mod List* sticky there is somewhere around here (which contains a list of great mods that work together, tho like I said, KM1 contains nearly all of them),  or searching for BridgeCommander Files for any mod you want in particular.
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 07:09:03 AM »
Installing a mod in 99% of the cases either:
Run the installer
--Or--
Dump all files from zip in BC directory.

In some cases there are other things to do, but it means it's either old, or not ready for mass use, or the author was just lazy and I'm unsure you want that mod anyway in that case.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Larousse1995

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 03:04:48 PM »
Thank you sirs.  Especially you Captain.