Author Topic: Did some deep looking.  (Read 3524 times)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Did some deep looking.
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 06:27:17 PM »
Just like I thought then.

Though, interesting, you managed to use it in Fullscreen Mode.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 07:00:11 PM »
@Jimmy, are you trying this in Windowed mode?
In that case, BC mostlikely sees it as being too large and not allow it.
no, it wont allow me to try anything in windowed mode except 1024x768 and lower 4:3 resolutions...

I got 1280x720 so it could be outputted through a hdtv. Though i couldn't get 1920x1080 to work even though it's the same aspect. Just comes up with D3D Render failure or summin like that. Well at least it's widescreen.
same - 1280x768 does work for me...  the other ratios dont :( (1600x1200, etc)...  windowed or not... 

i wish there was a way to force around this lol

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 07:33:20 PM »
What I find strange is that the aspect ratio doesn't seem to come into this. Like 1920*1080 is 1.5x bigger thatn 1280*720. It's the same ratio (16:9). I think i got a 16:10 ratio using 1280*800 but I can't remember. 1440*900 I can get into the main menu but not in game. 1600*1200 won't show at all. 

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 07:35:58 PM »
BC for some reason wont do 1440x900, 1680x1050, and up...
i have been successful to get it at 1280x768 (tho i think it did crash for me when i tried 800, i dont recall)...
and i havent been successful at getting it at 1600x1200 for me, tho i have seen others who could...

Yo.  8)
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 08:05:10 PM »
Like I've stated, BC is very narrow minded because when it was made no widescreen monitors were present (not a lot anyway below 2000 dollars). So it forcefully tries to go to a 4:3 aspect ratio at a couple of predefined settings.

Therefor, it simply doesn't know, at all, what to do.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »
I know nothing about scripting and all that, so this may sound stupid, but... exackly what part of BC prevents it from having other resolutions and how would one go about changing that?

Like I've stated, BC is very narrow minded because when it was made no widescreen monitors were present (not a lot anyway below 2000 dollars). So it forcefully tries to go to a 4:3 aspect ratio at a couple of predefined settings.

Therefor, it simply doesn't know, at all, what to do.

I'm getting widescreen.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 08:35:03 PM »
The exe itself does this.

The scripts only do the GUI part, and, in case of widescreen, will revert to 640 icons.

Yes, you are, because you are tricking BC into doing that.
Go to Graphics Options, and the config will mostlikely revert.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 08:40:06 PM »

Yeah, it shows the resolution (1280*720) in the gfx options but when you click the dropdown I only get the usual 1024*768,1280*1024 etc.

Is there anyway to alter the .exe? I know other games have done it (like Crysis) where the .exe was altered so it would run without a CD.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 08:41:41 PM »

Yeah, it shows the resolution (1280*720) in the gfx options but when you click the dropdown I only get the usual 1024*768,1280*1024 etc.

Is there anyway to alter the .exe? I know other games have done it (like Crysis) where the .exe was altered so it would run without a CD.
That is way, way, way, into the realm of "illegal". And is not discussed on these boards.

Suffice to say, unless you have a really good sense of assembly, don't bother.

Anger

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 09:59:44 PM »
The widescreen works fine in-game. There are no anomalies caused, the only problem that could happen is the HUD being partially hidden, but if you know your keybinds this isn't really an issue.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 02:19:47 PM »
Only if you use a width that BC regards as "normal" (trust me, I've read all the scripts related to this, and it's scattered through). ;)

Otherwise, blurry UI.

Anger

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 09:05:01 PM »
I wanted to necropost this in light of the recent guide posted on the BCfiles web site.

This will not work using the standard version of Notepad, try Notepad2 or Jarte.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 09:41:09 AM »
There was been another, more recent, thread about this here.
http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,4084.0.html