Author Topic: So... I've got this other project I'm working on and...  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
So... I've got this other project I'm working on and...
« on: May 22, 2008, 12:15:37 PM »
... I wasn't too pleased with the initial result. It was posted along with my bridge thread if you're looking for a laugh. Now, I really liked the torso design, but the rest of it just.. Well... Frustrated me. Now, as I mentioned, I haven't had much time in the last week, and this one has been just as annoying, but I've been playing around with ideas for a ship. I can't decide if I want it to share the Voyager style neck and spine or for it to be compact, Defiant/Steamrunner style, so I've stopped until I've got the time to do more with it to decide.

So I got to rebuilding my Mech, this time from the legs. This was the first thing I came up with, completely by accident I admit, but that's not the point... I was hoping I could get some feedback on it, -honest- feedback. If it looks like frell (Frell is an acceptable word, right?), then I need to know! I understand everybody has different tastes and all, but I've never modelled anything human-like before, so this is kind of a step forward. Also, I know it's pretty low detail, but once again, my ego needs to hear the truths.  :lol: But I'm just asking as in how much better would you say it is compared to the last one? Improvement? The same level of bleh? Worse?

So now's your chance, free spirit-breaking!  :funny

If the general reception is good, and if I ever get to complete the model, I think it would make an interesting small craft in Bridge Commander. We don't have any mecha in it yet!

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
Re: So... I've got this other project I'm working on and...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:01:51 PM »
Is it a shin and knee?

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:10:51 PM »
I'd progress a little more so people can see what is what.

Also, I think the reason that there isn't any mecha in BC is because I don't think the game system works with it. Z.O.E was a good engine for playing with mecha, but BC really isn't. You'd have to be able to animate it to make it look right and do some changes with the controls as I don't think ship-to-ship combat the way BC does it lends itself very well.
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 09:23:04 AM »
....what IS that thing?

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

executioner_de

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 10:39:20 AM »
looks like a gundam part of a leg

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 10:59:27 AM »
but, but, it's got no smoothing groups and strange textures...

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 11:01:39 AM »
Well, like he said, it's a low poly version. I'll reserve judgement till more is done. Looks promising though.
MUSE!!!

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 11:50:33 AM »
phallic symbol ;)

J/K :lol:

Offline CaptainGMAN

• Cookies: 9
  • Call me Gibbs
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 12:18:11 PM »
Looks like an Iron Man leg to me.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 02:56:19 PM »
master cheif's armor? (halo/2/3?)

Offline Villain

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 11:35:02 AM »
phallic symbol ;)

J/K :lol:

Lmao, I was actually hoping somebody would make a similar crack.

Truth be told, I was going to wait and clean up, add, and tamper with it somewhat, but it's been really hectic, so I thought why not just drop it here and see what people think (or think what it may be...)

I'd progress a little more so people can see what is what.

Also, I think the reason that there isn't any mecha in BC is because I don't think the game system works with it. Z.O.E was a good engine for playing with mecha, but BC really isn't. You'd have to be able to animate it to make it look right and do some changes with the controls as I don't think ship-to-ship combat the way BC does it lends itself very well.

You don't really have to animate something to give off the impression. For those who've seen the Universal Century series of Gundam, alot would recall that in space, the Mobile Suits are usually in a standard pose during spaceflight, because alot use only two boosters. I was thinking of using this technique as an excuse. besides, it'd give me an excuse to make the White Base mothership, which I strangely adore.

but, but, it's got no smoothing groups and strange textures...

As I can't texture, and I hadn't discovered the Smooth Render option in LW ( :roll: ) I'm resorting to using the basic junk you're given with the Lightwave pack (Specifically Dreadhull1). But yeah, it is pretty ugly in that state...

looks like a gundam part of a leg

Spot on. I was looking at my old RX-78 model, and figured "Why not?". Of course... The model is only 6 inches tall, but it's handy having something extra alongside lineart/blueprints. So I took some inspiration for a Super Robot Wars style robot, where alot of them share the same sort of design idea.

Well, like he said, it's a low poly version. I'll reserve judgement till more is done. Looks promising though.

Cheers, as I've not had any proper teaching in modelling aside from a few tutorials here and there (None of which explained things I really wouldn't mind help with Lightwave wise) I was quite proud that I had proven to myself that I could at least attempt something humanoid looking.

I've kinda loaded myself with alot of projects, probably too many to handle, but if I didn't just jump right in and attempt something difficult I'd probably have gotten bored by now. Let's see: My ugly bridge, which in retrospect, is a horrible design. A Starfleet ship, a Spectre from Skies of Arcadia (Which is the one with the most progress, surprisingly), this model, a craft from F-Zero (which just needs the boosters and tailfins), a craft from WipEout (Which just needs the booster done), a D-15 Spectre from Dropship: UPF...

Thinking about it, I've got a question to add: Does anybody here have any expertise with Lightwave? I want to smooth my model out, but every smoothing option destroys my models, SubPatching works well, but doesn't seem to be adjustable, so it always makes things far, far too high in terms of poly's... is it possible to smooth something neatly, or would I have to completely redo a model to get the smoothing I want?

---
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Villain

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 10:16:13 AM »
Okay, so the first attempt was when I had -no- clue about Modelling, now I've gone back to my Gundam Project, and this is the result (Thanks to this render I figured out how to make purdy renders. Bloom and Glow ftw)

Did I mention I love Boolean cut? I don't think I did.. ;) I think I've also found a way to make it look somewhat convincing ingame, using FTech to change Red Alert into a "Weapons Ready" pose, by bringing the weaponry up, and Green Alert to a more casual pose. As BC is all space, there's no need for animations for walking, that will be saved for it's implementation into another game.

---

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 06:56:36 AM »
sweet!

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 09:51:47 AM »
Agreed. Prime, for all of your current works, I present you with this cookie. Enjoy.

Offline Villain

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 10:04:47 AM »
Yay! Thanks! Wait till you see the Crossbone Vanguard inspired crest when I can release the head. >D

---