Author Topic: Contest 2: The Sci-Fi Scanner  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
Contest 2: The Sci-Fi Scanner
« on: August 07, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
*BEEP* *BEEP*

Science Officer: "Sir, my readings indicate that this substance is 30% tritatium oxide, 44% trilithium sulphonasotate and the rest is an unknown biological compound based on haemoglobin dimer clusters."

*BEEP* *BEEP*

Science Officer: "Further readings indicate that it has been here for 8 days at a rate of decomposition of 2.98 kiloquans per hour."

Captain: "You can tell that from some flashing lights a beep?"

We've all seen them. From the humble tricorder to the Psi Scan Model 345, the handheld scanner is the ultimate Little Dumb Object. From merely pointing it at something and reading the little bars and dots, you can tell what anything is, what killed it, what it was doing five minutes ago and probably information that even a Wikipedia "in popular culture" section wouldn't bother with. In the real world, you need five people and about 2 weeks with 10 different machines to figure out what something is, but the Scifi Scanner can do it in mere milliseconds, and without touching it.

The contest is to design a handheld scifi scanner.

Regarding the Design:

1) The device must be handheld or at the very least man-portable. You don't have to show the hands or the user, we're just interested in the device itself.
2) The design must be original and your own work. You don't have to limit yourself to doing something that would fit in an existing TV show.
3) It can be in any program you like, 2D or 3D art. Handmade sketch or origami if you like (I'd certainly be interested to see if anyone takes up this oppotunity to do something outside the realms of 3D).

Regarding Posting:

4) No Work-in-progress (WIP) shots to be posted. Although you can submit a newer version if you have tweaked it since your last post, all pictures posted must be intended to be final.
5) Entries must be submitted into this thread by the end 31 August 2008 (due to potential time zone problems, this will be slightly elastic, I won't outright reject anything submitted while my clock says 1st September). That's just over three weeks from now.
6) Only one image per person to be submitted, your BCC username must be printed on them clearly (the only restrictions on images are the usual ones applied to all uploaded images to the forum).

Regarding Voting:

7) Two threads will be opened after the closing date featuring all submitted images (which may be resized for ease of viewing). Polls will be included for anyone to vote on. One will be for DESIGN (i.e., originality, coolness etc.), the other will be for QUALITY (i.e., rendering, modelling quality, presentation etc.).
8) The voting threads will stay open for a week while the polls are counted, the winners will then be announced.
9) For paperwork purposes, the organisers of the contest will be myself and executioner_de.

Good hunting. If this is as sucessful as the lightsaber contest, we'll see about doing a third in the very near future. Feel free to discuss the contest in this thread.
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

executioner_de

Re: Contest 2: The Sci-Fi Scanner
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 04:49:24 AM »
I will try to defend at least one of my titles for sure :) btw i?m still waiting for my cookies ^^

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 11:35:45 AM »
Fine, I'll give you one. Though I'm sure I already did.
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:31:39 AM »
What if I say that my design is composed of a central unit with interchangeable covers. Wouldn't I be able to submit two designs covers then? :P

Offline Glempius

• Master of Science!
  • Cookies: 51
  • Dyin' inna fiar, plz hold
    • My Page -- Team Lynxifer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 03:16:11 PM »
You have no idea how tempting it is to post a picture of a divining rod :P

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 10:12:18 AM »
You have no idea how tempting it is to post a picture of a divining rod :P

It's an open contest and one criteria is originality. I'm aiming for something steampunk-esque but we'll have to wait until I get an internet connection at home to upload the final one when it's done.

Offline Glempius

• Master of Science!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 01:10:33 PM »
I'll have to see if I can find some time to do something. I'm hellishly busy with work and already have about 5 projects on the go

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:12:14 AM »
Just remember, it doesn't neccessarily have to be 3D CG. Also, due to a special request from someone who is suffering major technical difficulties, I've officially extended the "deadline" (if that's even the right word) by a week. Still, if people are still interested, try to get things done sooner rather than later and although WIP shots aren't allowed (in the interest of keeping the thread clean and unambigous more than anything) feel free to ask for help from anyone else; these things are mostly for learning.

And to show off and pipe some interest, here's mine.

EDIT: Updated to the final entry.

Offline Glempius

• Master of Science!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 02:34:40 PM »
I threatened it and thus do I deliver. Using nothing more than venerable MS paint. Tried to go for the whole blue print style but I honestly could not be bothered to try and get the grid lines done

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 08:42:13 AM »
Sweet, very interesting idea. I can see it happening in some sci-fi series somewhere.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 11:45:47 AM »
The fact that it leaves the user unarmed, I can totally see some poor marine toting one in SST.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

executioner_de

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 02:32:58 AM »
Nice stuff! I?m trying to get my entry ready, but i dont have much time atm to model.

executioner_de

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 10:48:29 AM »
So doesnt had much time, well today is the only day ive modeled on it  :shock: hehe

Here is it, my entry the Holo Scanner with Retina-Projection set  :D

Oh the username is this Alien Font :p

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 08:12:44 AM »
Is three all we've got? The week extention still applies and remember that it doesn't have to be any particular medium, 3D or 2D, 3DS Max or MSPaint.