Author Topic: BC Conflicting with Video Card?  (Read 698 times)

Offline laguardia528

• Cookies: 4
  • Inspiration comes to those who haven't got a clue
BC Conflicting with Video Card?
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:10:21 PM »
Until this morning, I've been able to run BC without any problems, AA and AF turned on and all.

Today, my roommate rolled back my video card drivers....and made it so nothing that required DirectX worked. I reinstalled the drivers I had before, but now when I play BC (and other games) it will only run at lower levels, and I can't even turn on Enhanced Glows or turn Graphic Detail up to High. I was wondering if BC requires something other than basic card drivers (plugins/patches?) to run well?

System Specs:

HP Pavilion 523n
Windows XP

Machine Info: 1800MHz, 992MB
Card Info: 32M ProSavage, S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
Re: BC Conflicting with Video Card?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 01:35:53 AM »
BC does not require any special graphic card plugins or patches (other then whatever is included in the BC 1.1 patch - which you should have). Sometimes, there are "pieces" of drivers still hanging around a system if they were improperly uninstalled or rolled back. This can cause conflicts.

What I recommend you do is to thoroughly uninstall your graphic drivers for the card so that after you do a system restart, the stock WinXP drivers are the ones that your card will be using.

Then, do a clean install of the drivers that are specific to your card. The drivers you had installed before your roommate rolled them back are most likely your best bet to get back all the proper working settings... also, make sure you have the latest version of DirectX installed that is compatible with your OS... That would be DirectX 9.0c. Install DirectX after you've reinstalled the proper graphic drivers.

If you have already done this then try to properly tweak the BC graphic settings so BC properly recognizes your graphic card.

If that still doesn't work, you might need to reinstall BC in order for BC to properly configure itself with the gcard drivers... that may totally suck if you have tons of mods but I highly doubt you will have to go this route.

BTW, man... that's an old gcard you're using! Oldy but a goody.

Hope this helps.

Cheers  :D

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: BC Conflicting with Video Card?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 06:24:22 AM »
I don't know the card make (it's an old one, right?). Try deleting your options.cfg and see if that helps.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.