Author Topic: Hi, New to the Forum  (Read 1048 times)

DonutGuard

Hi, New to the Forum
« on: November 12, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »
Hi guys, I bought a copy of BC the other day and started modding it with various ships and have pretty much got the hang of it at this point just by using my noodle and using those wonderful reading skills I learned in school.

However, I had a problem with one mod that I desperately want to try out because of how many people say it's simply the most amazing thing they've ever seen in the history of life, and that's Scotchy's Galaxy Class pack.  Apparently there's a problem with the HP file and whenever you try to fire a torpedo in game it just crashes instantly.  A link to another forum was posted in the comments area of the page, however, that forum is out of commission (probably for good) and after googling for it, and searching these forums with every combination of keywords I could think of, I couldn't find any sort of fix for this problem.

Does anybody just happen to have a link to the fix that was supposed to be in that forum?

P.S. I tried using Elminster's common weapon's package, and that didn't solve the problem either, and actually caused some really weird bugs in other ships I downloaded that forced me to reinstall the game since I couldn't figure out what had happened.  (Phasers firing from weird places around the ships, sounds not working etc etc)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Hi, New to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 05:17:21 PM »
Go to the following directory (folder/map) in your BC installation:
scripts/Custom/DurandalHP/
Does that directory contain an __init__.pyc file?
If not, then copy the one from scripts/Custom/ to there.

Next, in the DurandalHP directory, there should be a Projectiles directory. Does that contain an __init__.pyc file?
If not, same procedure.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

DonutGuard

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 05:27:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply MLeo, but I think the problem according to Scotchy, was that he packed up the .exe with old hardpoints and hadn't corrected the Torpedo projectile paths.  He had provided replacements, but the forum he linked in his comment is shut down permanently.  I wish it were as easy as you say.

Quote from: Scotchy
About the Torpedoes: That's my fault. I packed up the executable with old hardpoints that hadn't had their projectile paths corrected. If you go to http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~bridgecommander/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16202 you will find Harpoint replacements to supplement this release.

*EDIT*
* DonutGuard sneaks away and elopes with DJ's Galaxy Class ship instead.  mmmm Saucer Separation... *homer gargle*

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:26:54 AM »
Thanks for the reply MLeo, but I think the problem according to Scotchy, was that he packed up the .exe with old hardpoints and hadn't corrected the Torpedo projectile paths.  He had provided replacements, but the forum he linked in his comment is shut down permanently.  I wish it were as easy as you say.

Quote from: Scotchy
About the Torpedoes: That's my fault. I packed up the executable with old hardpoints that hadn't had their projectile paths corrected. If you go to http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~bridgecommander/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16202 you will find Harpoint replacements to supplement this release.

*EDIT*
* DonutGuard sneaks away and elopes with DJ's Galaxy Class ship instead.  mmmm Saucer Separation... *homer gargle*

You just need to change the torpedo path in the HP and that is very easy. Load the ship in the MPE, or txt editor and find the torpedo master system and you can change it real quick. If you want to know how it's done, msn me and I'll walk you through it sometime.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

DonutGuard

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 01:02:52 AM »
You just need to change the torpedo path in the HP and that is very easy. Load the ship in the MPE, or txt editor and find the torpedo master system and you can change it real quick. If you want to know how it's done, msn me and I'll walk you through it sometime.

Thanks, I downloaded DJ's Galaxy Class instead of Scotchy's already though (teehee).  Scotchy's was beautiful, but so is DJ's and ontop of that, DJ's separates too.

My only beef with DJ's is that it's REALLY overpowered.  I've been using a modified Sovereign class ship, which I thought was pretty much spot on for power (It can handily defeat two stock Sovereign class, but against most other mod ships it's scaled just right) and I put that ship up against DJ's just to try it out... and the DJ Galaxy class (mind you, not DJ's Venture, which is the War UPGRADE of the Galaxy) ripped the Sovereign class ship to pieces before the Sovereign could even get through the shields!

So now I think I may do a little research on how to tweak the ships properties a bit so it isn't so god-like.  In fact, with BC being out so long, and with there being so many different modders and all of said modders having what seems to be like fairly good amount of contact with one another, I'm surprised there isn't some sort of uniform method of balancing out ships so that mods from different authors are more "compatible" with each other for the sake of downloaders being able to get the best picks available from several different authors and not have to worry about them being incongruous with one another (like for example one person making a Constitution Class refit, and another making the Excelsior, but the Constitution Class refit is stronger than Excelsior).

Actually, considering that DJ's ship is also included with Kobayashi Maru, I'm surprised that it made it through testing without somebody raising an eyebrow and saying "Gee, this ship might be way too powerful, maybe we should nerf it a little bit so it doesn't shoot an endless string of Torpedoes".  (with that said, I may modify the name of the ship to "U.S.S. PEWPEWPEW N.C.C. 9000")

Just my opinion though... as I said, DJ's ship is still incredibly beautiful to look at and wicked fun to play with as well.  I can't wait for his Galaxy Class pack, or for somebody to make a Galaxy-X modification of it.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 10:53:25 AM »
All the balancing against other mods is the whole point of KM. All the modders working together to make things more balanced a mod called Kobayashi Maru 1.0. But DJ's galaxy isnt in KM and they actually edited the strength and weapons and stuff and used different models and stuff.

A lot of precision goes into the making of these mods. Some are old, some are new and some modders just dont keep in contact with the BC community anymore. KM is the culmination of mods to give people a fair and balanced time against each other without dloading every single mod for the purpose of completing the whole bloody Federation fleet.

KM-R is promising to give the most canon gameplay ever with the best looking ships out there.

Now, question, ever heard of MPE?
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

DonutGuard

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 11:45:32 AM »
All the balancing against other mods is the whole point of KM. All the modders working together to make things more balanced a mod called Kobayashi Maru 1.0. But DJ's galaxy isnt in KM and they actually edited the strength and weapons and stuff and used different models and stuff.

A lot of precision goes into the making of these mods. Some are old, some are new and some modders just dont keep in contact with the BC community anymore. KM is the culmination of mods to give people a fair and balanced time against each other without dloading every single mod for the purpose of completing the whole bloody Federation fleet.

KM-R is promising to give the most canon gameplay ever with the best looking ships out there.

Now, question, ever heard of MPE?

Ah, I made the assumption DJ's Galaxy was included in KM since I installed KM after DJ's Galaxy, and in the download area for the ship the maker of KM mentioned he wanted to put it in.  Jumping to conclusions and all I did was land on my face apparently.  (it's a good thing I don't have to worry about ruining a good complexion lol)

But yeah, I've heard of MPE.  I've seen some tutorials over on the filefront forums by a guy named MScott, and the download is on filefront as well.  I downloaded it from filefront last night right after making that post, and right before going to bed.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »
MPE - Model Propery Editor. I began my first understanding of it with the Slipstream Framework Tutorial that came with the fabby Slipstream Framework.

Now editing torpedo stregth is all down to the torpedo script itself. Can't go there. But what you can do is edit how many torpedoes come fliying out the Torpedo bays. Add me on MSN and we can talk more about it. dalekanium2@live.co.uk
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien