Author Topic: What ever happen to the Enterprise-B  (Read 9191 times)

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: What ever happen to the Enterprise-B
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »
You know what he means DT. The Lakota.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »
yeah...it's a good ship :P

problem is, I only rarely saw the Excelces of ANY kind on Next G, and then they looked so dang tiny compared to the Galaxies...
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »
Ofcourse I know what he meant. I can forgive a certain level of spelling mistakes, but some spelling mistakes (severe mistakes) are unforgiveable :P

Back on topic...

While the original Excelsior (NX Excelsior) was a prototype, i'd assume the Enterprise-B was a prototype in it's own right, and was considered a failure compared to the more successful "Standard Excelsior" type. For all we know, the Lakota is a retrofitted and renamed Enterprise-B, with the Ent-B having been mothballed years earlier. The Enterprise-B was definitely ill-equipped to handle a simple thing such as a rescue operation, which resulted in the loss of 1 ship with all hands, and less than 1/3rd of the second ships crew. Not to mention, the loss of one of Starfleet's most renowned and decorated Captains.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2009, 08:13:20 PM »
Ofcourse I know what he meant. I can forgive a certain level of spelling mistakes, but some spelling mistakes (severe mistakes) are unforgiveable :P

Back on topic...

While the original Excelsior (NX Excelsior) was a prototype, i'd assume the Enterprise-B was a prototype in it's own right, and was considered a failure compared to the more successful "Standard Excelsior" type. For all we know, the Lakota is a retrofitted and renamed Enterprise-B, with the Ent-B having been mothballed years earlier. The Enterprise-B was definitely ill-equipped to handle a simple thing such as a rescue operation, which resulted in the loss of 1 ship with all hands, and less than 1/3rd of the second ships crew. Not to mention, the loss of one of Starfleet's most renowned and decorated Captains.
Maybe that's just me but I think Ent-B failure was Starfleets Command foult, it's like putting Sebastian Loeb into prototype Citroen C4 WRC w/o seatbelts, cage and any electronic safety systems... it would be riddiculous, such organization like SFC would doubtfuly launch a ship for it's maiden voyage with most of it's defense/weapons systems not to mention medics or tractor beam, I think we should consider this as yet another 'it's up to us only' clumsy plot forced by writers (tho frankly it was kinda effective).
Although I never liked Ent-B too much, fly-by in Generations looked too heavy compared to Excelsior fly-by from ST6... those secondary hull additional compartments ruined it IMHO

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2009, 04:22:59 AM »
its not the ENT-B's fault they left spacedock while nothing was going to be installed till tuesday. No there had to be another reason besides generations for never building more of that variant. You can't blame a ship because Starfleet sends it without any important equipment. I mean if they had said they don't have shields there being installed on Tuesday id belive it.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »
wee have the Official reason for the Varient...they added the wings so they wouldn't have to destroy the Excelsior model :P

I now have to go out and find the Lakota version, which will give me all three Excels.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline candle_86

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2009, 10:58:35 AM »
Lakota isnt to hard to make. Upgrade the shields add 100 Quantum torpedo's and TNG power photons and you have it. The EntB and Lakota are the same model

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2009, 11:39:05 AM »
i swear I saw some Physical differences, mostly on the bottom of the Eng hull

i intend to tweak the Excelc and Ent B for my own purposes, anyway (without releasing, of course).  I may add the same kinds of tweak for an 'alternate Mirrorverse' pair I have as well, where the Vulcans ended up making a UFP (or in this case, a UVE) out of the terran empire.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Dalek

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2009, 11:44:10 AM »
I think there were a few colour changes here and there but that was it.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline candle_86

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2009, 12:37:46 PM »
yep, in truth the Lakota wasn't supposed to be a variant but a normal Excelscior class ship. They couldnt remove the wings, so they repaired them and shot the model that way. It would have cost to much money to create a new filming miniature. Where as Flashback uses a CGI version. This is why when Excelscior class's returned the wing was gone, they where now CGI

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »
back to topic..

I'd say that it was destroyed. That's the only way for a ship named enterprise to honorably finish its glorious service in Starfleet.

1701 - destroyed.
1701-A - destroyed
1701-C - destroyed
1701-D - destroyed.

see the trend?  :P
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Dalek

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2009, 03:10:10 PM »
The 1701-A was never destroyed. It was decommisioned.

- Lorien

Offline candle_86

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2009, 03:10:34 PM »
the 1701-A wasnt destroyed. Even Fanon ignores Shatners books, as the whole return series is just nonsense. The only thing we know is the A was decommissioned after Star Trek IV.  Its quite possible the EnterpriseB just served a boring non eventful life in the fleet and was retired to make way for the C.

Offline Lionus

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
still, three out of 5.. or is it seven? I've lost count of all these Enterprises.. :P  I actually like the design of Excelsior and it's variants . it still looks like a old clipper sailboat in space.. call me a softy but it definitely is a beautiful desing, hence why I'm so eagerly waiting for certain Excelsior pack..  ;) :D

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Erk

• never forget the name... Enterprise
  • Cookies: 5
  • Enterprise: boldness or readiness in undertaking
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2009, 01:16:39 AM »
I think that the Enterprise-B was destroyed. Considering that there are so many Excelsior class ships out there that lasted past the Dominion War, it would be hard to imagine Starfleet retiring 1 ship. I mean, if they give a 40 year old Constitution class the name Enterprise-A why would they retire a new ship for the Ambassador class? I just cant see them retiring one ship to pass the name on. I understand why they did it to 1701, which was because the ship was old and they were retiring all Constitution class ships... except for the Yorktown for some reason.

In regards to the Enterprise-C though... Why did it take 22 years before they made a new Enterprise? If you watch yesterdays Enterprise, they say the Ent-C was destroyed 22 years before the Ent-D. Why not give another Ambassador class the name? They did it with the Constitution.

Its hard to figure out Starfleet...

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »
Its hard to figure out Starfleet...

Its called plot devices lol it would be nice if they stayed fairly canon though with their own shows and books

Offline candle_86

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2009, 12:18:02 PM »
well The A was a connie for kirk

Offline Erk

• never forget the name... Enterprise
  • Cookies: 5
  • Enterprise: boldness or readiness in undertaking
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2009, 01:35:44 PM »
well The A was a connie for kirk

true, but I feel it was more for the fans. The Excelsior was made out to be an ugly villainous ship in ST3.

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2009, 04:42:30 PM »
The Excelsior was made out to be an ugly villainous ship in ST3.
A damn sexy ugly villainous ship!

Offline Lionus

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2009, 09:59:28 AM »
it looks better than overrated connie, 13 out of 12 mod ships is a Connie, connie kitbash or something along those lines IMHO. Excelsior FTW! :evil

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek