Author Topic: Non-Canon Material you would like to see as canon  (Read 2478 times)

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
Re: Non-Canon Material you would like to see as canon
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 06:55:51 AM »
I would like to see the Voyager follow up concept turned into a mini series or a couple of tv movies.

But there are so many great books and authors out there who are expanding the final frontier in print it would be so hard to pick any one particular piece.

A bold and brave move would be doing Star Trek without any Star Trek in it. Perhaps doing something completely set in the Eugenics Wars or World War 3.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »
lessie...Diane Duane has put a lot of effort into developing the background for the Vulcans and romulans, added several non-humanoid species that I think are worthy, and gave real names to Romulus and Remus.  she made the romulans an interesting people, rather than the gigantic screaming clones of "sneaky asian communists" they keep getting portrayed as by some people

DC Fontana has a novel under her belt for the Pocket series with Chris Pike, an early Spock love afair, and an emerald the size of a cantalope that the vulcans claim as a National treasure.

one of the earliest novels to feature the Klingons as a people (Pawns and Symbols) established a couple facts.  that Vulcans see a part of the electromagnetic spectrum dealing with energy emissions, and that Klingons don't see the color red, and see two shades into Ultraviolet.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Ryles

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »
I would like to see the Voyager follow up concept turned into a mini series or a couple of tv movies.

But there are so many great books and authors out there who are expanding the final frontier in print it would be so hard to pick any one particular piece.

I bold and brave move would be doing Star Trek without any Star Trek in it. Perhaps doing something completely set in the Eugenics Wars or World War 3.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rise_and_Fall_of_Khan_Noonien_Singh,_Volume_1 ;)

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 02:36:36 PM »
I know the Eugenics Wars has been in print but remember it's only canon if it's on screen which is why I'd love to see it as a series of TV or DVD movies, hense the Star Trek without any Star Trek in it! :lol:

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 12:32:35 PM »
I have both 1 and 2, just got to read them.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 05:45:08 PM »
I know, Bumping my own thread :P But I have another novel!

"Last Full Measure" and "The Good That Men Do"

Basically dismisses the holographic events in "These are the Voyages...." As a Section 31 Cover Up.

they are a good read, along with Kobyashi Maru.

Offline Judge King

• USAF Phoenix CO
  • Cookies: 18
  • Hail to the king of battle!
    • XSGCOM Wiki
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 11:31:19 PM »

Basically dismisses the holographic events in "These are the Voyages...." As a Section 31 Cover Up.

ENT: The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing comes out Octobor.
Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 01:31:57 AM »

ENT: The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing comes out Octobor.

Yay! Lol, gotta pre-order

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 03:39:58 PM »
the only Kbyashi Maru i have is the Julia Ecklar novel.  did you mean that one?
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 05:40:49 PM »
the only Kbyashi Maru i have is the Julia Ecklar novel.  did you mean that one?

No, I'm talking about an Enterprise Novel, dealing with the real Kobayashi Maru, the one in the novel is suppose to be the one they base the simulation after.

I have that novel as well though.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 11:25:41 AM »
that's the Author I met at a local Book Signing, along with the co-author.  they were signing as "L.A. Graf" for, i believe Ice Planet.  Ms Ecklar said she got the idea for Sulu's planetary communication lesson from a bit SHE actually had in school.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 12:51:59 PM »
Paramount has not kept the control over the Trek novels that Lucas keeps over the SW books. Therefore many, MANY contradictions. They COULD have the authors go through their old books and tweak the little details that cause minor problems. Lucas did that with all of the SW books few years back.
when you say that the novel Final Frontier comes to mind lol.

Though with all this blow canon off i wouldnt mind seeing a mini series with ashes's of Eden, The Return and Avenger lol

Offline MR. Nevyn

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 07:07:41 AM »
The Titan series should become canon; as it's the only series still worth reading. Good overall plots and interesting characters, and naturally going back to Star trek's basic: to explore strange new worlds, ... you know the rest. Definitely something different from all that fighting in the others.

TNG, DS9 and VOY are names only with almost half of the original cast left, COE was simply horrible, and while New frontiers isn't bad, Caulhound is becoming too much of a gary stue (mind though, he was one from the beginning only less blatant).

As for things that should never become canon: Destiny and all other Borg related stories before. We've seen enough of the Borg already for say, the next 50 years. Not to mention the fact that it completely destroys Roddenberry's vision of the future.

Offline candle_86

• Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 05:04:11 PM »
Id like to see the Shatnerverse cannonized. It wouldn't be impossible anyway, as 2 years passed between Generations and First Contact and those events could have taken place, though some retconing would have to be done in the return to show only a segment of the borg destroyed not the entire hive lol

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 05:42:14 PM »
McKenzie is a human raised other species, and technically, the Mckenzie part is his entire name.  the Clahoun part is a tack on.

the term your looking for is "Marty Stu" for a male Mary Sue.  and keep in mind, these are from Peter David...which explains all the Sue-isim
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Hellsgate

• Administrator, "Star Trek: New Worlds"
    • =^=Star Trek: New Worlds=^=
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 12:55:53 AM »
"Star Trek: Renaissance"

I'd like to see Worf temporarily reassigned (in the hopes of Starfleet Command, that he'll stay on permanently,) to the Enterprise-E under Captain Morgan Bateson (Kelsey Grammar).

Worf, of course, still doubting the significance of his part in Starfleet & being manipulated by forces on Quo'nos & occasional visits by Q that "they're using you".

Considering everything Picard's been through since his experience as Locutus, ramming the Scimitar & the decision to fire on the allied ship in the Trek Lit ("A Time To..." mini series) at Rashanar, Starfleet Command decides to momentarily bench Picard until Command is 100% assured Jean-Luc isn't slowly losing his mind & becoming too much of a Kirk-like "cowboy diplomat".

But, in the meantime, there are those seeking to access The (TOS-Era) Guardian of Forever for malevolent ends, sending our heroes once more into the breach. (Kelsey) Bateson saddled with a Klingon X.O., his own formerly X.O. Gabriel Bush struggling with alcoholism and given the Captaincy of the U.S.S. Bozeman-A (Saber-Class).

Tempted by the possibility of going "home" to his own time, dealing a permanent blow to Kozara, altering the causality loop that sent him here...all he has to do is step through The Guardian but realizing the potential butterfly effect to Starfleet and the Federation... 

If At First You Don't Succeed, So Much For Skydiving.

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 01:48:39 AM »
Honestly, while its not in the trek spirit, I would love to see some Maquis books. I always loved the concept, and I could see a triligy maybe with them being "destroyed" by the Dominion fleet, maybe them scattering, with no cardassians to contend with, their fight is over as far as I'm concerned, unless the Romulans or Klingons take up the old cardassian territory and try to force them out, with with plenty of dominion and cardassian hulks laying dead in space it could make them a force? Just thinking out loud

Offline Hellsgate

• =^=Star Trek: New Worlds=^=
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2010, 01:44:33 AM »
I have a difficult time entirely believing the Maquis were 100% permanently stamped out by The Dominion. I could see a half dozen or so, laying-low somewhere. Bloodied but unbowed. Probably suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, so they're likely jumpy, emotional as hell, and unwilling to deal with staying anywhere too long or genuinely allying themselves with anyone beyond getting basic necessities of life.

Perhaps a few children of the Maquis (& their "Anti Dominion" Cardassian civilian / non-Obsiddian supporters,) were put into stasis somewhere with a guardian to make sure the campaign of Cardassian / Federation / Anti-Dominion upheaval survives & no-one gets their hands on the kids/survivors until someone comes to reactivate the sleepers.      
If At First You Don't Succeed, So Much For Skydiving.