Author Topic: I would advise all modelers to check the following  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
I would advise all modelers to check the following
« on: March 07, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »
http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-vs-star-trek-vs-babylon-5-vs-star-gate

Major Payne posted about this on Dynaverse, this is what he wrote:

Quote from: Major A Payne
The reason being is that this mod contains a hell of alot of familiar ship models in it and I certainly recognise at least two which I'm certain are mine. I'm of the mind that seeing as I've not received any permission request from this mods creator that other modellers may not have received permission themselves. I'll know as soon as it becomes available but Raven Nights "Reman Saif" class was pictured and a couple of days later the image was gone. This leads me to believe that these models are unnauthorised and I advise others to keep a very close eye on the mod due to this suspicion.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: I would advise all modelers to check the following
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 02:39:29 PM »
Naughty naughty. It's annoying when people do unauthorised conversions/releases.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 04:05:03 PM »
im not following...
the link leads to a German site, and i dont speak German lol
is there a brief history of whatever is going on?

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:39:32 PM »
im not following...
the link leads to a German site, and i dont speak German lol
is there a brief history of whatever is going on?

Summarized:
-Star Wras: Empire At War mod based in the Trek universe
-Various models may have been converted from SFC3 or BC models but still under investigation
-Permission not asked to the original makers of the ship models
-EaW sucks :p

Basically, suspected mod theft.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 06:30:27 PM »
EaW doesn't suck, but a lot of the modders do.  Over at X-wing Alliance Upgrade, we've had trouble with some of our models used in another EaW mod, forgot what it was called.  The community there is probably doing this because people who make mods need lots of ships due to the nature of RTS games (lots of different unit types).  Some of them are too lazy to make their own things for every little ship, so they steal the model and use it ingame.  They hope that no one recognizes them because the EaW engine isn't designed for close ups of ships, but some designs are too unique.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 05:14:41 AM »
Funny crap is, 2/3rds of the time all the people have to do is bloody well ask.

In one word: Lame.

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 12:19:28 AM »
I would advise people to not refer to another community of modders as "crap". This is why I didn't post this thread when Major Payne relayed it to me..as these are really never a good idea, and since it appears nothings been actualy released yet, nothing can actualy be stolen, and since nobody requires permissions to showcase screenshots here, we can't go complaining if people elsewhere do it. Also, the quality of those pix are so bad the only ship I can positivley ID from the few screens I saw on the front page is the firehawk and I don't think that is a permission require ship in the first place. Either way, Unless you see something that belongs to you, watch what you say.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
  • Cookies: 531
  • Welcome to the Dark Side
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:58:21 AM »
Well, here is the real story, and the reason why even I give this guy my "two shoes you know where" award.

I asked him to post credits. He said they were not my models but "remakes" with only some simliar elements. I then pointed out that the models are obviously my designs, and all he has to do it post credit.

He decided to pull the models.

What I dont understand, and perhaps you guys can help me on this, is why someone is so stubborn about giving proper credit? I dont get it...even if someones work "inspires" my own, even if it just gives me ideas I make sure to point it out.

I couldnt make the mod the guy is making. That alone should be worth some ego juice...does he really need to pass off my lousy models as his as well?

Makes no sense.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 06:16:32 AM »
Well, here is the real story, and the reason why even I give this guy my "two shoes you know where" award.

I asked him to post credits. He said they were not my models but "remakes" with only some simliar elements. I then pointed out that the models are obviously my designs, and all he has to do it post credit.

He decided to pull the models.

What I dont understand, and perhaps you guys can help me on this, is why someone is so stubborn about giving proper credit? I dont get it...even if someones work "inspires" my own, even if it just gives me ideas I make sure to point it out.

I couldnt make the mod the guy is making. That alone should be worth some ego juice...does he really need to pass off my lousy models as his as well?

Makes no sense.

Its kinda obvious actually.
He obviously had no friends during his real life so he must have thought that his attempt to pass over peoples top quality models for a mod that he was putting together, would earn him respect from whatever online peers he had. Kinda pathetic really.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »
If I didn't put credit, I'd have a fit. Although it is stupid that they/he pulled a mod because of not including credit.

If the guy is like a number one modeler or whatever for EaW, then he doesn't want his reputation stained by "other" peoples work, to make it look like he did all the work, to make him look cool.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 08:21:09 AM »
Locked.

As mentioned on at least one other thread, this is not the place.
Mod theft should not be dealt with on public boards, and insulting other community members, games or projects etc, is a breach of the forum rules.

If you can't play nice here, then go and play elsewhere.

El