Author Topic: Borg Texture  (Read 1081 times)

Offline FourChan

• Admiral Noel Vermillion
  • Cookies: 4
  • Starfleet Technologies Development Center
    • Twitter Four Channel
Borg Texture
« on: June 06, 2009, 01:06:45 PM »
Anyone have a High Resolution Borg Texture? I mean something off the normal scaling grid like....2000x2000 or higher, etc in that area? It's for a project I am going to start working on pretty soon.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: Borg Texture
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 01:09:19 PM »
I'd recommend going no higher than 2048 when finding a texture. Some computers cannot handle high resolutions (like I found out with JTK's Sovereign).
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline FourChan

• Twitter Four Channel
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 01:13:19 PM »
Well, I am not going to use the full texture lol. I just plan on using a high resolution one to work with but I'll resize it correctly.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 03:41:52 PM »
BC will only accept powers of 2 textures, so 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc, etc... And the most efficient are square textures. Some of the newer cards (ok, any card newer than 3 years) can handle non-power of two textures, but at a price, they will fill up the rest of the texture with wasted memory. On older cards they even fill up a non-square (so instead of a 4x4 or 512x512 you have, say, a 512x64) texture. Or not show it at all.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
BC will only accept powers of 2 textures, so 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc, etc... And the most efficient are square textures. Some of the newer cards (ok, any card newer than 3 years) can handle non-power of two textures, but at a price, they will fill up the rest of the texture with wasted memory. On older cards they even fill up a non-square (so instead of a 4x4 or 512x512 you have, say, a 512x64) texture. Or not show it at all.
Interesting.  Why do you suppose that is?

Offline FourChan

• Twitter Four Channel
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 06:21:27 PM »
I was just requesting a huge texture, something high resolution so I can work with it. I already know what BC will handle etc etc. Sorry but this isn't a debate on what's going to work in BC or not, if Jimmy can remove those posts it would be helpful, I just am looking for a  simple Borg texture from a Borg Cube in High Resolution.

Thanks.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »
I take it that you are part of the 10 people who don't know what binary numbers are. ;)
There are loads of optimizations (ie. higher framerates) when you can assume that they are.

I was just requesting a huge texture, something high resolution so I can work with it. I already know what BC will handle etc etc. Sorry but this isn't a debate on what's going to work in BC or not, if Jimmy can remove those posts it would be helpful, I just am looking for a  simple Borg texture from a Borg Cube in High Resolution.

Thanks.
I think that confusion arised due to the fact that you originally posted in Modding.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline FourChan

• Twitter Four Channel
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 06:27:53 PM »
Oh well, I was working on a project and was gonna post it in Modding. Well change this thread in modding with the results :P

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 06:35:57 PM »
If it's, eventually, for BC, then it can go in Modding, otherwise we have the Graphics Arts Forum.

Offline FourChan

• Twitter Four Channel
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 12:50:31 AM »
Okay. So does anyone have a pretty high resolution image of the Borg Texture? :D