Author Topic: SNS Galaxy serious problem.  (Read 1169 times)

Offline warp9engage

• Cookies: 0
SNS Galaxy serious problem.
« on: July 05, 2009, 04:47:41 PM »
Hello, I'm new to this area of the forum and I've come here to see if, perhaps, I could find some help.

I've been modding BC for several weeks now, installing ships, stations, new sound effects etc... It was looking great with most of my favourite mods working just like I wanted them to :D, until I installed the SNS Galaxy... It was one of the last ships remaining to be installed and it killed my BC  :(. Now, I know there have been a lot of people with problems related to this ship, so I took time to check previous threads to see if a potential solution for my particular problem had already been posted. But I couldn't find anything.

Anyway, here comes a description of what is happening: after installing the ship by copying all the files in to their assingned directories, I begun experiencing consistent crashes. These crashes did not happen when I started the game, but rather when I attempted to go into Quick Battle mode. After experimenting with deleting and replacing some files, I seem to have discovered that the problem is somewhat related to the Skinning and Damaging Tool (SDT) and that by turning it off on the mutators, the Galaxies and all the other ships would load normally and Quick Battle would start without incident.

For some reason, the SNS Galaxies and the SDT are imcompatible with each other, because when I try entering Quick Battle with both their mutators on, the game crashes and I get a message by Windows Vista, whose rough translation from the language it's written in is: "stbc.exe has stopped working. Windows is retrieving more information about the problem. This process may take several minutes..." and then the message disappears. All this seems odd to me because the SNS Galaxies are dependant on the SDT in order for their textures (main deflector, registries) to work properly. Also the fact that I cannot have both the SNS's and the SDT has had other undesirable effects on other ships that also rely on the same Damaging Tool: SNS Akira, CR Nebula, CG Sovereign (all lost their registries) and adding to this, I am now experiencing the same crash when I leave the SDT mutator on and the Scotchy Galaxies mutator off  :?.

I apologise for the rather long post but I wanted to be as thorough as possible in describing the problems I'm encountering. I already thank, in advance, anyone who could help me solve this problem. It's just a bit harsh to see all the hard work you've put into your BC, suddenly be thrown to waste  :(.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
Re: SNS Galaxy serious problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 05:22:27 PM »
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline warp9engage

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 05:42:36 PM »
A console report would be handy.

http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,57.0.html

Yes, I know. I've been trying to get one but it doesn't seem to let me do one when the crash occurs :?.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 06:41:55 PM »
Are you installing the original SNS Galaxy from the .exe file?  There have been issues with a missing torpedo script crashing the game.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 06:58:22 PM »
Those issues wouldn't be fixed by disabling SDT. It's funny, SDT (and I believe SubMenu) were made because of SNS Galaxy. Otherwise the currently already large download would have been far, far, greater (factor 4 or 5).

Try installing DiamondBC_Projectiles (look for it on BCFiles or our download section), that might help the projectile issue (currently trying to remember where it was, exactly, it was a missing __init__.py(c) file).

Otherwise, a console logger might help.

Put the attached file in scripts/Custom/Autoload/ and the console output will appear in a file that ends with _output.txt and starts with the current date/time.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 09:22:21 PM »
it sounds like the skinning and damaging tool was not installed correctly, have you tried just installing to BC directly with the.exe file?  Could you also try to install another mod that uses the SDT, it doesn't matter which one, it will just help determine if the issue is with the SNS galaxy, or the SDT.

Offline warp9engage

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 05:03:15 AM »
There have been issues with a missing torpedo script crashing the game.

No. It's not that particular problem. I have the correct torpedo script installed from another ship and when I manage to load the Galaxies, I can fire all their weapons normally.

Otherwise, a console logger might help.

Put the attached file in scripts/Custom/Autoload/ and the console output will appear in a file that ends with _output.txt and starts with the current date/time.

I will try that. Thank you :D.

it sounds like the skinning and damaging tool was not installed correctly, have you tried just installing to BC directly with the.exe file?  Could you also try to install another mod that uses the SDT, it doesn't matter which one, it will just help determine if the issue is with the SNS galaxy, or the SDT.

No. I've been trying to install the Galaxy on to a separate folder and then copying the contents in that folder into BC. I can try a direct install to see if it does help. As for trying to install other mods with SDT, yes, I have been trying to install the SDT from other ships that require it like SNS Akira, CR Nebula... but it hasn't worked  :(. It is possible that I could be installing the SDT in a wrong way (I have some modding experience but not much). Is the SDT just the python script that you put on the Scripts/Custom/Autoload folder?

[EDIT]
P.S - I've just tried installing the SNS's directly through the .exe. No effect.

[UPDATE]
Ok, something unusual just happened. I started BC on Test Mode to see if I could get some good console reports, clicked on Quick Battle and to my surprise, everthing worked fine  :shock:. That is until I left Quick Battle and tried to start it up again, a point at which the game crashed once more (have already tried entering Quick Battle several more times but have not been able to replicate the previous success). While the game was working properly I took time to get some decent console reports to see if they help reveal hidden faults. Here's the latest and, I believe, best console report I got:

Outdated Foundation, updating functions
Outdated Foundation, installing FolderManager
Updating FoundationMenu.ShipMenuBuilderDef
Updating FoundationMenu.ShipMenuBuilderDef V2
BridgeFX Enabled...
CameraFX Enabled...
ExplosionFX Enabled...
SpecialFX Enabled...
WarpFX Enabled...
Custom.ScotchyMaelstrom.ScotchyCampaign
AttributeError: PreLoadAssets
Registering listener Engineering Extension Trigger init FoundationTriggers.8388629
['__doc__', '8388629', '__file__', '__name__', '__builtins__']
Registering listener Engineering Extension Trigger Restart FoundationTriggers.8388622
['8388622', '__doc__', '8388629', '__file__', '__name__', '__builtins__']
Registering listener NanoFXTrigger FoundationTriggers.8392974
['__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '8388622', '__builtins__', '8392974', '8388629']
Registering listener NanoFXBlinkers FoundationTriggers.8392973
['__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '8388622', '__builtins__', '8392974', '8388629', '8392973']
Registering listener SDT Trigger FoundationTriggers.8388808
['__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '8388622', '__builtins__', '8388808', '8392974', '8388629', '8392973']
Registering listener Proteus Name Check FoundationTriggers.8388808
['__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '8388622', '__builtins__', '8388808', '8392974', '8388629', '8392973']
Setting splash damage for Asteroid-1 to (562.500000, 11.250000)
AttributeError: Redirect
Setting splash damage for Asteroid-2 to (562.500000, 11.250000)
TypeError: call of non-function (type module)
Setting splash damage for Comm Array-1 to (562.500000, 11.250000)
Setting splash damage for Comm Array-2 to (562.500000, 11.250000)
Setting splash damage for Comm Array-1 to (128.382843, 2.567657)
Setting splash damage for Comm Array-2 to (1687.500000, 33.750000)
Setting splash damage for Comm Array-1 to (562.500000, 11.250000)
Setting splash damage for Comm Array-3 to (562.500000, 11.250000)
Setting splash damage for Comm Array-1 to (1687.500000, 33.750000)
Removing listener Proteus Name Check
Removing listener SDT Trigger
['__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '8388622', '__builtins__', '8392974', '8388629', '8392973']
Removing listener NanoFXBlinkers
['__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '8388622', '__builtins__', '8392974', '8388629']
Removing listener NanoFXTrigger
['__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '8388622', '__builtins__', '8388629']
Removing listener Engineering Extension Trigger Restart
AttributeError: PreLoadAssets
Registering listener Engineering Extension Trigger init FoundationTriggers.8388629
['__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '__builtins__', '8388629']
Registering listener Engineering Extension Trigger Restart FoundationTriggers.8388622
['__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '8388622', '__builtins__', '8388629']
Registering listener NanoFXTrigger FoundationTriggers.8392974
Registering listener NanoFXBlinkers FoundationTriggers.8392973
Registering listener SDT Trigger FoundationTriggers.8388808
Registering listener Proteus Name Check FoundationTriggers.8388808
Traceback (innermost last):
  File ".\Scripts\Custom\NanoFXv2\SpecialFX\BlinkerFX.py", line 115, in Swap
    self.Node.SetHidden(TRUE)
TypeError: illegal argument type for built-in operation
  File ".\Scripts\Custom\NanoFXv2\SpecialFX\BlinkerFX.py", line 111, in Swap
    self.Node.SetHidden(FALSE)
  File ".\Scripts\Custom\NanoFXv2\SpecialFX\BlinkerFX.py", line 111, in Swap
    self.Node.SetHidden(FALSE)

I hope this report will help better explain the problem.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:27:25 PM »
have you tried installing the latest version of the SDT?

Offline warp9engage

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 05:38:23 AM »
have you tried installing the latest version of the SDT?

I'm not sure if I have the latest version  :?. Could you tell me where I can download it please?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 02:17:51 PM »
BCFiles. Atleast it should contain the latest.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline warp9engage

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:55:39 PM »
I will try downloading it and installing it. Will report the results.

Thank you for all your help so far  :D.

Offline warp9engage

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 10:34:39 AM »
Ok, first of all I want to apologise for the delay in posting an update and I also apologise for the double post. It took me a while to be able to download the required file because of the problems BCFiles has been experiencing lately.

But now, just today, I downloaded V2.0 of the SDT from BCFiles and installed it. I'm sorry to report but the game still crashes when loading Quick Battle :(. Do you have any other ideas of what could be wrong? I'll thank you for any suggestions you might have.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »
you delete some of the old pyc files??
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline warp9engage

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 12:11:53 PM »

I'm not quite sure what you mean  :?. I didn't delete any pyc files while installing the new SDT if that's what you're refering to.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 12:15:23 PM »
Ok, just read through the thread again, and it appears I didn't notice the update.

The crash that you are experiencing after you close QuickBattle is "normal", it has to do with one or more mods not properly working together with BC, for which we do not entirely know how to work with.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »

I'm not quite sure what you mean  :?. I didn't delete any pyc files while installing the new SDT if that's what you're refering to.
BC reads the .pyc files, if the .pyc file is missing then it attempts to recreate it with the .py file of the same name, but it ignores the .py file if there is a .pyc file available.  when you replace something like that you need to make sure all of the accompanying .pyc files are either over written or deleted, or else it won't work.  be careful though because some mods, as well as the stock game files themselves don't have .py files, unless you have the source code from which the .pyc was generated.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »
Python will actually do a rough check to see if the py file has changed or not.

Offline warp9engage

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 07:35:05 AM »
BC reads the .pyc files, if the .pyc file is missing then it attempts to recreate it with the .py file of the same name, but it ignores the .py file if there is a .pyc file available.  when you replace something like that you need to make sure all of the accompanying .pyc files are either over written or deleted, or else it won't work.  be careful though because some mods, as well as the stock game files themselves don't have .py files, unless you have the source code from which the .pyc was generated.

Ok, I understand. I've deleted the previous pyc files and had BC generate new ones from the new py files. No results :(. However I believe that I've isolated the problem to another component in my install.

The crash that you are experiencing after you close QuickBattle is "normal", it has to do with one or more mods not properly working together with BC, for which we do not entirely know how to work with.

I believe the mod causing this is QBAutostart. After deactivating it's mutator I have been able to play Quick Battle repeatedly without running into any problems  :D. Is there a more "stable" way to have those extra features from QBAutostart like Fleet Orders and Abandon Ship installed? I would really like to have those features in my game :).

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 07:47:15 AM »
It doesn't have to be a mod of QBAutostart per say, it could be any interaction between a mod of that and some other mod. Unfortunatly, there isn't much we can do about it.

Offline warp9engage

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 10:49:43 AM »
Ok, I guess I'll just have to keep my BC without QBAutostart until I can find a way to keep things stable. Atleast I can now play with all my favourite ships without having bugs  :). Thank you for all your suggestions.