Author Topic: Airship  (Read 928 times)

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
Airship
« on: September 09, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »
This is a relatively old work-in-progress that I'm thinking of going back to at some point. It was initially inspired by Final Fantasy style airships as opposed to the steampunk ones that I've done before. It's slowly taking shape and I really do hope to finish it at some point along with a "baddie" one to attack it - although a full scene is a pipe dream that I'll never do or have the resources to render out.

(This hasn't been posted on deviantART or SFM so this is BCU BCC (dumbass) exclusive, you lucky, lucky people :funny)
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline Zephram

• Cookies: 13
Re: Airship
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:28:14 AM »
wowee  :D that look very good

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:50:22 AM »
this is BCU exclusive
lol wut?

Very, very cool. I especially like your attention to details. Which 3d program do you use?

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:55:08 AM »
this is BCU exclusive
lol wut?

As I said, it hasn't been shown off at any of my other usual haunts, so only BCU BCC (dumbass) has seen it :p

I'm currently using Lightwave 9.0 and torn between upgrading to the latest one, or holding out for LW 10 and risking them merging Layout and Modeler into one program  :'(.
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 11:33:03 AM »
hmmmmm  :wtf

Im sure i read you saying you could not model, either way..   you can and it looks great  :)

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 11:35:44 AM »
As I said, it hasn't been shown off at any of my other usual haunts, so only BCU has seen it :p

How can it be a BCU exclusive if you're posting it here though :roll :P

I'm loving the level of detail on it though! Awesome work :)
MUSE!!!

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »
Im sure i read you saying you could not model, either way..   you can and it looks great  :)

No, I said I'd stopped modeling recently because the sketching was taking over.

As I said, it hasn't been shown off at any of my other usual haunts, so only BCU has seen it :p

How can it be a BCU exclusive if you're posting it here though :roll :P

I'm loving the level of detail on it though! Awesome work :)

%?^*@#! BCC. I need to get with the freaking times!!!!!!!!!! :assimilate (anyway, like there's a difference  :funny)

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 06:23:47 PM »
..... you my friend have inspired me to one day do the highwind...

thats a sexxy beast right thurrrr tho, it makes me go WEE!!!!!!!...... sorry.... too much coffeee....... :funny
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 06:10:38 AM »
I tried the Highwind once, it was bizarrely difficult but I think I might be able to do it now.

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:28:37 AM »
I tried the Highwind once, it was bizarrely difficult but I think I might be able to do it now.

its finding the reference pics that im at a loss for :(
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 01:42:18 PM »
Which was my issue too. Google images and the web in general has a few limited screencaps (and the CG in 1997 wasn't particularly good). However, what you want to do is go to deviantART or conceptart.org and search for images there. You'll mostly get fan-generated images but some can be very good and give you some nice pointers. DA has a few, although you'd have to skip passed the ones of Cid himself when searching for it.

It's really just the same way that people build Star Trek ships that are "accurate"; artists with a good eye for detail knock up an impressive looking image, it gets used, and before long, people just accept that this is The One True Way of making that ship. When really, all it originated with was a couple of fan drawn pictures that happened to look good with the details in the right place.

Or, you can try something like this, which is inspired by the Highwind: http://anomonny.deviantart.com/art/Avalanche-s-Avalanche-119349702

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 07:10:55 PM »
Working on it again. Trying my hand at some unusual engines, although I'm not sure why the bloom filter didn't put a glow around them, I'll just ramp up the lum next time.

Offline Trim

• BCN/BCU Veteran
  • Cookies: 74
  • Moderator of redundancy Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 05:09:17 PM »
Looks good man!

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 05:17:49 PM »
Some more progress. Slow, but I don't have as much time as I used to for pure modeling.

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 05:18:53 PM »
looks killer man, friggin sweeeeeeeet :D
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 10:12:03 PM »
Not bad, but to me it doesn't scream "Final Fantasy" at all.  I'd lose the low-swept wings, or add a long balloon-like structure on top of it (the wings make it look like a small fighter, like the X-302).

I think the long bow and swept "cockpit" windows have the right look.  And the large engine pipes work, but I'm not a fan of the blue glow (at least, not in the front).

Also, the amount of detail on top of the "cockpit" brings up some scaling issues for me.

Just some constructive criticism.  :)

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
It's much bigger than you think it is. And it's really not the traditional FF airship.

Offline Glempius

• Master of Science!
  • Cookies: 51
  • Dyin' inna fiar, plz hold
    • My Page -- Team Lynxifer
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 02:01:24 PM »
Are those big long cylinders meant to connect up to anything in the future? At the moment than look a bit on the extraneous side.

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 03:00:30 PM »
Are those big long cylinders meant to connect up to anything in the future? At the moment than look a bit on the extraneous side.

Yes, it should go to the nose to make a trimaran type thing. I've got a concept sketch but never seen it in 3D so I'm not 110% sure it'll work.