Author Topic: Forum Clean Up  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Sean

• Retired Administrator
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1165
  • Site Co-Founder
    • Bridge Commander Central
Re: Forum Clean Up
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 08:58:16 AM »
I would say those with fewer than 20 posts who've not logged in to the forum atleast once in the past year. They obviously aren't interested. See where that gtes things.
an email asking all members to sign in has been sent. anyone who has not signed in by 07-Jan-2010 will be removed. To start we will be following the above suggestion. If that does not increase the efficiency we will have to look at other inactive users.

Some users have not signed in for over 3 years. Im sure if they wish to post again they can just re-sign up. Better to have a functioning forum than one with lots of members with database issues.

Thanks again
Sean

Offline anazonda

• Cookies: 8
  • Is it time to back up and leave bc?
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 08:09:09 AM »
Now i figure you must be using MySQL for database, and when that database becomes unstable, we're talking about alot of data.

Generally I usually do the same as you will be doing. Take out old users, and remove dead posts.

Also: Are you using pictures from the database, or are they uploaded as physical files? If any files are generated from the database this will take alot out of the database, and you should start making people upload them physically instead...

Of cause you already know all this, but I figure that others might like to know.

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »
I would say those with fewer than 20 posts who've not logged in to the forum atleast once in the past year. They obviously aren't interested. See where that gtes things.
an email asking all members to sign in has been sent. anyone who has not signed in by 07-Jan-2010 will be removed. To start we will be following the above suggestion. If that does not increase the efficiency we will have to look at other inactive users.

Some users have not signed in for over 3 years. Im sure if they wish to post again they can just re-sign up. Better to have a functioning forum than one with lots of members with database issues.

Thanks again
Sean

Except said email used a date format that is backards from the usual m/d/y and may lead some to believe that 7/1/10 is actually July 1st, 2010.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »
Except said email used a date format that is backards from the usual m/d/y and may lead some to believe that 7/1/10 is actually July 1st, 2010.

Known to the rest of the world as the "normal" date format. One that actually makes sense and is meaningful (little endian) as opposed to the format that I believe is only (exclusively) used in America.

I had a thought earlier. What about culling all posts with less than, say, 10 characters. Cos, let's face it, there's no way a post that short could possibly be in the slightest bit constructive, and I reckon a not-insignificant number of posts fit the bill.
MUSE!!!

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 08:53:57 PM »
unless it's a model update where someone has made a short bit of text (update) and the rest is attachments..
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline limey BSc.

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 09:20:19 PM »
unless it's a model update where someone has made a short bit of text (update) and the rest is attachments..

Then a check can be done to see if the post has attachments. To quote a certain meerkat, "Simples! *Squeak*".
MUSE!!!

Offline Sean

• Retired Administrator
  • Retired Administrator
  • Site Co-Founder
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 07:09:57 AM »
an email asking all members to sign in has been sent. anyone who has not signed in by 07-Jan-2010 will be removed.

just to keep you all updated, As of today, i have removed any inactive users who had a post count of less than 20 and have not posted in 365 days. This has removed 42 pages worth of inactive users. Rough count is 1260 inactive.

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 08:32:15 AM »
I imagine most of that may have been spambots of some description anyway so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline Sean

• Retired Administrator
  • Retired Administrator
  • Site Co-Founder
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 09:04:39 AM »
I imagine most of that may have been spambots of some description anyway so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

LOL some of them were lol.

Anyway just another update, have cleared any posts from 2006-2007 that were only old WIP threads. any useful info on problems and help are still there.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 09:18:33 AM »
Don't suppose community links could be moved to the very bottom like before? It looks disproportionate at the minute.

Edit: Thats better. :)
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Sean

• Retired Administrator
  • Retired Administrator
  • Site Co-Founder
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 09:35:15 AM »
Don't suppose community links could be moved to the very bottom like before? It looks disproportionate at the minute.

Edit: Thats better. :)

Realised when i came back to the main index that i had mis placed it. Thanks for the input

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 06:53:13 PM »
what about the unlucky sods who are currently enlisted in the army?

i second that concern. also what about those people that are newly joined?

how about getting rid of such posts like the "love/hate" one, if it means keeping important BC related ones i'm sure no one will miss these sort of topics.
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 08:01:55 PM »
how about getting rid of such posts like the "love/hate" one, if it means keeping important BC related ones i'm sure no one will miss these sort of topics.
i dont agree with that...  the General Discussion forum, and the stickied threads, are all very much active...  and if this were to be a BC-only forum, it would make things alot harder on the staffers to keep it like that... besides, the non-BC threads/forums keep it more interesting, and the General Discussion threads are sort of like an "off-time" relaxed area...

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
hmm have there been some post/thread purgings lately?
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2010, 08:38:34 PM »
why do you ask?

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 09:15:07 PM »
20 of my posts when bye bye

just got me curious.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 09:49:20 PM »
Oh dear, I've heard stories about you and what happened when your post count dropped on BCU.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 09:51:27 PM »
 :facepalm: no need for that....

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 10:14:51 PM »
20 of my posts when bye bye

just got me curious.
right - in the General Discussion Forum, every thread that winds up on page 2 (threads not responded to for like usually 6 months ago) gets deleted...  this is so as to do our best to not overload the current server (thus a forum crash which has happened a number of times in BCC's history), hence the point of this thread you bumped...
the last thread deleted was a 10 page one, the "Remember BCU" thread, which was 10 pages long...  when a new thread is made in that forum, the oldest one goes bye-bye...
i also lost many postcounts as a result of saying bye-bye to that thread, but you dont see me wondering or worrying; alot of us who posted in that thread lost a number of postcounts (and alot of us did ;)) :P

Oh dear, I've heard stories about you and what happened when your post count dropped on BCU.
heh neb also asked for an explanation back then too lol :P

remember - you are not your postcount...  the higher your postcount doesnt make you "cooler"...  jeez, neb - i would have thought you would have learned that by now waaaaay after BCU, do you really track your postcount lol j/k :P
it's not about numbers, it's about substance...  dammit, neb, i thought we grained that into your skull years ago lol *kicks neb*
LOL WOW COOL
*ducks the revolver*

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 10:32:08 PM »
*fires off revolver* only asked for an explanation.... though I would have thought to at least keep that one thread... all others are subject for deletion :P