Author Topic: MPE Warp Core Help  (Read 979 times)

Offline Anew9

• Cookies: 1
MPE Warp Core Help
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:55:26 AM »
Hi again...

Can someone explain what the MPE warp core power output settings mean? What do the numerical values of each property (ie main conduit capacity) mean?

Thanks.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: MPE Warp Core Help
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:10:39 AM »
the conduit capactities are how much energy can be sent to or drawn from the two batteries (main power and reserves), the limits are how much energy they hold (in %).   weapons and sheilds draw from main power, several other things draw from the reserves, including the thirsty cloaking devices.

the idea behind designing this was resource management. you must balance the core power and how much the weapons, shields, sensors, and impulse engines draw (along with the draw from the cloaks) so that the ship doesn't immediately suck the batteries dry, leaving you with your pants down (shields collapsed) and quantums coming your way.

a general sample is that TOS ships generally need a core output of 800 (type one phasers being a rather light draw, apparently).  take samples from the hardpoints of existing, working ships to look at and get a better idea.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 07:44:32 AM »
Quote from: readme that comes with the SDK called modelpropertyeditor
# Power System: this produces and distributes power on the ship, to all of the powered subsystems.

* Power output/second: This is how much power is produced per second, if the system is not damaged.
    * Main battery limit: This is how much power can be stored in the main battery.
    * Backup battery limit: This is how much power can be stored in the backup battery.
    * Main conduit capacity: This is how much power can be drawn from the main battery per second.
    * Backup conduit capacity: This is how much power can be drawn from the backup battery per second.

Offline Anew9

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 06:20:36 PM »
Thanks alot guys!

Offline Anew9

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 10:31:23 PM »
Hmmm... a bit of a problem.

I am trying to create a power system that drains my reserves when I go to red alert. Right now my MPE page has :

Power output: 3200
Main Battery Limit: 100000
Backup Batt Limit: 60000
Main Conduit Capacity: 5000
Backup Capacity: 1000

The power used in the transmission grid in-game is JUST OVER the point between main power used and reserve. I am be able to suck power from the backup if I boost weapons and shields to above 100%, but after I suck my main power and reserves dry the warp core remains at 100%: I would like to drain the core also or is that a BAD idea?

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »
the core itself has an infinite supply as long as it's not damaged and the conduits can take the load, the 3200 represents power units per second generated by the core.

Offline Anew9

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:54:09 PM »
the core itself has an infinite supply as long as it's not damaged and the conduits can take the load, the 3200 represents power units per second generated by the core.

Ya but when I deplete my main battery and reserves the shields dont drop nor do the weapon systems. So the only way to have that occur is to dmg the warp core? Is that what is shown on the power grid; warp core HP?

Offline Anew9

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 12:06:13 AM »
I balanced the hardpoint so that my ship is under the reserve pool when at yellow alert (which makes sense seeing as how ships could be at a stand off) and the ship depletes power when is charges weapons. This adds a great gameplay mechanic of maintaining power outputs at sufficient levels instead of just having to worry about how many torpedoes you can throw at a ship before it blows up...

Half of the energy used on my ship is for shields, the other half is weapons. The other systems pull small amounts altogether (like 20% or something).

The only thing left is having insufficient energy to maintain shields or phaser power... I havent figured out how to do that.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 12:12:05 AM »
try reducing the power output

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 07:41:30 AM »
isnt there program with a sort of warp core balancer out there?

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 12:04:55 PM »
Jimmy: Kenjar's warp core balancer is the one your referring to.  unfortunately, it CAUSES power leaks instead of fixing them.  i think there's an error in the program.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Anew9

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »
try reducing the power output

Ya but doesnt reducing power output make the ship drain MORE power? Like, it decreases the transmission grid bar so that my ship sucks power beyond its maximum load, which is what I want and have; Im just trying to balance my ship so that it sucks power when at red alert but not at such an alarming level that it cant handle combat for 2 minutes. I assume that by increasing the main conduit capacity that I can last longer with my weapons up...

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 04:55:05 PM »
didnt Nero make one tho?

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »
I did, but it doesn't do fancy calculations or anything like that :(

Basically its a really detailed listing of what warp core power settings I use for each of my ship types (dreadnoughts, battleships, cruisers, etc.) and how to distribute power so you get the best gameplay results.

EDIT: Took me a minute to find it in the deep dark depths of my oh so cluttered computer. Here it is if anyone wants to look at it.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 07:04:07 PM »
lol.  i shoulda remembered that one.  I just was fishing about for an idea for balancing on one of my own threads, and he posted it!
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline NatsuKagura

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 01:21:08 AM »
# Power System: this produces and distributes power on the ship, to all of the powered subsystems.

* Power output/second: This is how much power is produced per second, if the system is not damaged.
    * Main battery limit: This is how much power can be stored in the main battery.
    * Backup battery limit: This is how much power can be stored in the backup battery.
    * Main conduit capacity: This is how much power can be drawn from the main battery per second.
    * Backup conduit capacity: This is how much power can be drawn from the backup battery per second.
Ah ya.... Jim... :D About Main/Backup Conduit capacity part, what's that means to? do u mean it's determined how fast the battery is drained? hmmm... by the way when I try & error to modify the warp core, I found some of them only changed the "scale"... is that true or is there something I didn't noticed yet?   ;)
Squad 17 Gotei 14! U.S.S.NatsuKagura , Reporting for duty SSSIIIIIRRRR...........!!!!