Author Topic: Aeries' BSG Mod Pack  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Re: Aeries' BSG Mod Pack
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »
I will say that while I didn't like the new BSG's soap opera elements and the whole "Cylons were created by man" thing, I loved the technical designs.  And these are awesome. :D

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 10:56:37 PM »
Also, think about the size of the metal plates, the thickness they'd be.

Not sure I see what the problem is with this. Could you please be more specific? I'll look into it for sure.  :)

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
Well, to me, the "cracks" between the plates look too deep. Space craft are welded and rivetted together, the seams are generally smooth and tight. The Viper MKII, so far as I can recall, had no visible plating, where as the MKVII did, and the Raptor. Look to those for in-universe inspiration.

My point about the orientation of the plating is supported by the MKVII, too. Ships, aircraft and even trains of the real world are made of custom-shaped plating, as opposed to a grid of uniform metal tiles over the framework. The MKVII has some pretty extreme examples of streamlined hullplating, but it highlights how the shapes of the metal pieces making up a vehicle are rarely very uniform in shape.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Aeries

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 03:45:05 AM »
Well, to me, the "cracks" between the plates look too deep. Space craft are welded and rivetted together, the seams are generally smooth and tight. The Viper MKII, so far as I can recall, had no visible plating, where as the MKVII did, and the Raptor. Look to those for in-universe inspiration.

My point about the orientation of the plating is supported by the MKVII, too. Ships, aircraft and even trains of the real world are made of custom-shaped plating, as opposed to a grid of uniform metal tiles over the framework. The MKVII has some pretty extreme examples of streamlined hullplating, but it highlights how the shapes of the metal pieces making up a vehicle are rarely very uniform in shape.

Oh, thanks for explaining, I getcha now. My plating is, as you say, hardly... I guess "fancy" would be the term. keeping in mind that some of these textures will get tweaks for the BC revision of this mod. I'll definitely add the hull plating to that list. Reason they're not actually as you suggest is for the simple reason that I'm not a very good texturer. These textures were actually the result of crude photoshopping and most of the patterns like the hull plating are actually taken from renders I did of planes that I used the greeble tool on. I guess what I'm getting at is, that I'm really not any good with 2d editors at all. In fact they're a nightmare and a half for me to work with. If I had those skills, the hull plating would be exactly as you suggest.

Perhaps I'll learn a little more as I work on these and tweak my textures a little later on. For a note, this scout is really just my guinea pig for modding both BC and SOASE.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be sure to implement the changes... just as soon as I'm skilled enough to work it. x__x;

Offline Aramus

• Cookies: 19
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 04:24:47 PM »
Aeries, nice work mate.. you have come a long way and these look great  :yay:

I wanted to post a comment on that "Flarespire" incident getting his daddy to bully Activision but I kinda just Pissed Myself Laughing.

Sorry dude.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 04:32:17 PM »
Aeries, nice work mate.. you have come a long way and these look great  :yay:

I wanted to post a comment on that "Flarespire" incident getting his daddy to bully Activision but I kinda just Pissed Myself Laughing.

Sorry dude.
That wasn't too kind from your part dude, mama never told you not to laugh at anybody straight into their faces in public ?

Offline Aramus

• Cookies: 19
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 04:35:18 PM »
That wasn't too kind from your part dude, mama never told you not to laugh at anybody straight into their faces in public ?

Oh she did..  :evil:

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 06:28:51 PM »
Now if you add completely different speculars than those present on renders it would look gorgeous :) so far it's the best BSG fan made ship I've seen in a while ;)

Offline bankruptstudios

• Cookies: 60
  • Xander = Host, Co-Host, Producer and Editor
    • Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 05:29:12 AM »
I strongly say leave the textures as is. There some of the base i'v seen, they look real. Keep the fath :thumbsup:

Offline Aeries

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »
Update: Got a little done on a station, something akin to a heavy defense/construction/multi-purpose platform. Basically, this thing is... well, huge. Simple as.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »
just a quick question - these models will be for BC?

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 02:18:28 PM »
Originally designed as a mod for Sins of a Solar Empire (and possibly Homeworld 2?) I've decided that after all this time, I should give something back to the BC community as well. For the sake of the BC variant of this mod, however, some ships will be removed due to space and additionally, their lack of purpose in the BC game.

Yes.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Aeries

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 06:44:21 PM »
just a quick question - these models will be for BC?

Yes, as Dalek pointed out. Like I said, some will be used for BC and some wont. MOST will be seen in BC.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 07:13:52 PM »
i only asked because they seem very high-poly and more CGI models than BC models...

Offline Aeries

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2010, 11:35:07 PM »
i only asked because they seem very high-poly and more CGI models than BC models...

Are you KIDDING? Lol. None of them come even close to exceeding 20k. :P

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 07:39:23 AM »
thats my point - i was originally complimenting your work by originally asking if they were going to be for BC lol  :P

Offline Aeries

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 06:30:06 PM »
Oh. o__o Jimmy, stop confusing my little mind! D':

Edit: And thank you. :P

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 06:43:03 PM »
lol *cookeez*
i was trying to be sarcastic and it went right over everyone's heads lol :P

anyway...  sorry spam... :P

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »
For less than 20k, those look great, Aeries.

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2010, 12:14:13 PM »
If my memory serves, he still needs to find someone to texture the buggers.
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek