Author Topic: Merian-Class and Mogai-Type Warbird  (Read 14860 times)

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Re: Merian-Class and Mogai-Type Warbird
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »
Blast!

Offline starship

• Cookies: 6
    • Brasil Starships
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »
Starship:  You nailed it on the head!  I start out with a spline cage, using a background image as a guide.  Once I have the basic shape caged out I play around with the spline until get the shape and the smoothness that I want.  Once that task is accomplished I refine the splines until I have all 3- or 4-sided sub-shapes so that a surface can be applied.  Then I add an Edit Poly modifier for each task I want to do like adding details, optimizing the mesh, etc.  Below is an image of the spline cage for the Mogai head so far.  You can't tell in the spline picture, but I have 5 separate objects in the head so far.  I used to try spline caging the entire ship, but that was WAY too complicated.  So, I took a page out of DJ's book and just did small bits of the ship one at a time.  Below that is the wireframe of the Mogai and the Merian.  The Mogai is currently sitting at 1,035 polygons without much optimizing and the Merian is at 5,991.

Cookie for you!
It is to much helpfull.  :thumbsup:

Offline aaron067

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2012, 11:31:55 PM »
You're certainly welcome.  :)

I don't have anything else to show yet.  I'm reworking the warbird head because the back part of the crown just isn't right.  My current problem lies in trying to figure out exactly what's going on with all the ridges and crests back there.  I'm convinced the concept sketch is slightly different than the CG model, but the sketches available just don't give me the right angle to see it at.  I think I'm on the verge of cracking it, but I'll need a bit more time.

Offline starship

• Brasil Starships
« Reply #243 on: June 18, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »
Ok!
Adam, a friend from Foundation3d, released what I think is the BEST high polly Valdore mesh all around. I?m slowlly converting it form Lightwave to 3ds max 2009 and I can provide you some renderings, case you need. ;)

Offline aaron067

« Reply #244 on: June 18, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »
So he did!  I've been following his work on that mesh for over a year now, so I'm glad to know he's finally completed it.  It's definitely very accurate as far as the CG model goes, so I'd very appreciative if you could provide the 3ds file itself so I can view it from all angles.  That ought to help me gain a better perspective on what Eaves' original concept sketches were all about.

Offline starship

• Brasil Starships
« Reply #245 on: June 18, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »
The conversion is far away from finished, but since the mesh is a piece of art, I found just minor errors. Nothing that will block you to see the details.
I believe that Adam won?t mind about resharing the converted file, but... since he is the mesh owner, I?ll talk to him and let you know. If he don?t have objections, what format do you need (max, 3ds, fbx or obj)?

Offline aaron067

« Reply #246 on: June 18, 2012, 07:44:38 PM »
Any of those would be fine, so whichever is easiest.

Offline starship

• Brasil Starships
« Reply #247 on: June 19, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Ok, Adam gave green signal about sharing. Just let me know the format that you want. ;)

Offline aaron067

« Reply #248 on: June 19, 2012, 04:44:06 PM »
3ds would be great.  Thanks!

Offline starship

• Brasil Starships
« Reply #249 on: June 21, 2012, 10:51:33 PM »
PM sent. ;)

Offline aaron067

« Reply #250 on: August 05, 2012, 12:17:12 AM »
Trying to figure out the exact spatial relationship of all the elements on the concept art version of this warbird has been maddening.  I've spent the past month and a half trying to decipher the placement and angle of the fins/wings on top of the head and whether there are two sets or just one as in the CGI version.  Finally I literally said screw it and decided to use both versions as inspiration for my own interpretation of the ship.  I've remade every portion of the head so far and wanted to share this WIP render.  I quickly mirrored the half I've been working on and added in the "eye" section to give you all a better glimpse of what it'll eventually look like.  There are some smoothing issues, etc. that I've already noticed and will be fixing.

Offline starship

• Brasil Starships
« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2012, 09:53:01 AM »
Looks excellent!  :bow: Can you show us a wireframe render?

Offline aaron067

« Reply #252 on: August 15, 2012, 11:52:49 PM »
Sorry for the late response, Starship.  I'm moving back into my rehearsal hall at work after getting new flooring, and at the same time I'm moving into a new house.  It's been a been busy, to say the least.

Regarding the wire cage, you can see I have some optimizing to do in places still.  You'll also notice some of the odd angles I had to use to get a smooth effect on the actual surface.