Author Topic: The hardest problem ever :(  (Read 834 times)

Offline Vbeserk

• Cookies: 2
The hardest problem ever :(
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:31:25 PM »
This is a hard, very hard problem to solve i have been with problems with my DVD drive it isn't reading any disks that i put in it not even CD's or DVD's i have discovered this problem when i was going to intall RE5 and the PC didn't even reconized the DVD it just seemed that the disk wasn't there so i started to search on th enet for answers and there was some stuff on the microsoft site that was to delete a Upper Filter and a Lower Filter i have done this all and even said to uninstall the drivers from my PC and then i rebooted the PC but when you think that this is the end of the story  :yay:, no this is isn't  :hithead: the problem is still here and then i went back to the net but when i was searching i found some pricks talking about notebook problems so i came to my last hope THE BCC FORUM :bow: so if you guys here can't help me i'm just going to have to send my dear PC to the guys that fix my PC when some sh*t happens so please i need help don't let me waste money on stupid stuff  :thumbsup: .

Here is the Tech stuff from my disk driver for DVD read it  :readme: and don't ask for system specs 'cuz here they are:

DVD Drive : Samsung SH-S202J
And the PC is 9 years old so take careful on what things you say me to do.

I thanks for any help you might give.

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
Re: The hardest problem ever :(
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
could be a dead diode... or possibly a dead motor... sounds mechanical
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 10:28:32 PM »
Just buy a new DVD drive, don't waste your money sending the entire rig to the shop.  DVD RW drives will run you less than $30 so it's not a major investment.

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 11:15:14 PM »
And if you do, I will take the laser diode... I am making a phaser, so I could use that!
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 06:50:30 AM »
Just buy a new DVD drive, don't waste your money sending the entire rig to the shop.  DVD RW drives will run you less than $30 so it's not a major investment.
:yeahthat:

besides if you send it then you have to wait up to few weeks, if you buy new it will take you up to 5 minutes to replace it ;)

Offline Vbeserk

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »
:yeahthat:

besides if you send it then you have to wait up to few weeks, if you buy new it will take you up to 5 minutes to replace it ;)

Yeah i know but i was thinking in buying a external drive it should be of use today i have made a clean up on him and there was 2 loose cables i have put then in place and it seems that he wants to read the disk but it seems too that he can't it keeps wanting to read but it doesn't i think this clean up made a diference what do you people think that it can be now i don't think is a dead laser diode or a dead motor because it seems to be fully functional but it doesn't read the disk. What can i do now??

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:18:39 PM »
hmm so your pc is 9 years old, so i expect it still uses IDE cables?

can you give me some screenies of any error messages it gives or if windows recognises the drive and says its working properly?

another solution is check the IDE conectors on the drive and mobo, also try using a different IDE cable if you have one and only as a last resot if all else fails send it to those guys who fix your pc.

Offline Vbeserk

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 08:46:06 PM »
hmm so your pc is 9 years old, so i expect it still uses IDE cables?

can you give me some screenies of any error messages it gives or if windows recognises the drive and says its working properly?

another solution is check the IDE conectors on the drive and mobo, also try using a different IDE cable if you have one and only as a last resot if all else fails send it to those guys who fix your pc.

Man i don't know about the cables but what i can say to you is that it uses a large white cable like a chocolate bar but white with lots of wires in it and about the messages it does not appear any error menssages but the windows recognises the drive and say that is working properly but when i put the disk on the drive, it begins to run like a normal drive but instead of open the autorun or the file of the disk it stops and when i go to my computer the drive is clean like if there wasn't a disk in it but there is and that is my problem i have uninstalled the drivers and i have deleted some files that microsoft said to delete is Upper Filters and Lower Filters but in my PC only had Lower Filters and it didn't had the Upper one but they said that it was ok but it isn't ok because i'm still with the problem.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
Sounds like the drive is just dead, which considering how old your PC is and how old the drive itself must be (the latest driver I could find for your model was released back in '07) it's not surprising.  Even if the drive is salvageable repairing CD drives is a pain in the ass, and when you think about how cheap they are to simply replace repairs just aren't worth it anyway.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 08:09:09 AM »
Man i don't know about the cables but what i can say to you is that it uses a large white cable like a chocolate bar but white with lots of wires in it and about the messages it does not appear any error menssages but the windows recognises the drive and say that is working properly but when i put the disk on the drive, it begins to run like a normal drive but instead of open the autorun or the file of the disk it stops and when i go to my computer the drive is clean like if there wasn't a disk in it but there is and that is my problem i have uninstalled the drivers and i have deleted some files that microsoft said to delete is Upper Filters and Lower Filters but in my PC only had Lower Filters and it didn't had the Upper one but they said that it was ok but it isn't ok because i'm still with the problem.
Dude, what you have just described is not a problem at all ... it's plain and obvious your drive is mechanicaly dead (I had too many of those to be sure ;) )

As Nero already said those kind of hardware are simply not worthy of repairing so my advice is replace it with new drive ;) IDE connectors are not a problem at all because I've been using IDE (data) to SATA and MOLEX (power) to SATA adapters in my old PC when DVD failed, tho you can't get those adapters in store (at least where I live :P ) you need to get 'em on ebay or any internet auction/shop available ;)

Offline Vbeserk

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »
Dude, what you have just described is not a problem at all ... it's plain and obvious your drive is mechanicaly dead (I had too many of those to be sure ;) )

As Nero already said those kind of hardware are simply not worthy of repairing so my advice is replace it with new drive ;) IDE connectors are not a problem at all because I've been using IDE (data) to SATA and MOLEX (power) to SATA adapters in my old PC when DVD failed, tho you can't get those adapters in store (at least where I live :P ) you need to get 'em on ebay or any internet auction/shop available ;)
Ahhh so it is completely unusable and unrepairable by me over the PC??? So i'm already searching prices for a new PC but i needed some help in which GFX card i should get i have been seen ones with 1GB of memory like the Nvidia GTX 420 i think this is the one and i have saw and ATI i don't remenber the name right now but i wanted to ask if there is a new graphic card with 2GB of memory and if there isn't which is the best one to take? And a complement i have saw people say that they had some problems with the power system because of the GFX card and simply the HD just meltdown and i was really shocked about that anb i wanted to know too if this is true.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Ahhh so it is completely unusable and unrepairable by me over the PC???
Pretty much.

i wanted to ask if there is a new graphic card with 2GB of memory
I've seen cards with 4GB of memory, they're not cheap though.  Check out ATI Radeon's and Nvidia GeForce's websites.

i have saw people say that they had some problems with the power system because of the GFX card and simply the HD just meltdown and i was really shocked about that anb i wanted to know too if this is true.
Aftermarket graphics cards can be demanding on your computer's power supply, so before you buy you'll definitely want to find out how many watts your power supply generates - and upgrade if necessary.  If you have a 300-watt power supply your options are kind of limited to GPU's in the 512mb - 1gb range.  If you have something in the 500 - 700-watt range you should be able to run a good amount of the 1-2gb cards out there.  Hope this answers your question.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
yeah ... as Nero said ... Pretty much ....

Offline Vbeserk

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »
Pretty much.
I've seen cards with 4GB of memory, they're not cheap though.  Check out ATI Radeon's and Nvidia GeForce's websites.
Aftermarket graphics cards can be demanding on your computer's power supply, so before you buy you'll definitely want to find out how many watts your power supply generates - and upgrade if necessary.  If you have a 300-watt power supply your options are kind of limited to GPU's in the 512mb - 1gb range.  If you have something in the 500 - 700-watt range you should be able to run a good amount of the 1-2gb cards out there.  Hope this answers your question.

Yeah this anwser my questions, thank very much for your assistance guys, you're the best of all

And hey Jimmy you can lock this thread down my problem has been solved. :yay:  :dance