Author Topic: Bren's Star Trek toy customisation and physical modelling [updates pg.3 & 4]  (Read 3902 times)

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
Re: Bren's Star Trek toy customisation and physical modelling
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »
A couple pages back, I posted an explanation of the technique I used on my recent Ent-D model, I suppose the same technique could work for the JJ-prise if you could find an aztec pattern for it.

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
Yep, sorry, should have mentioned that. I'm a bit  :banghead: today.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Erk

• never forget the name... Enterprise
  • Cookies: 5
  • Enterprise: boldness or readiness in undertaking
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »
Awesome!!   Hope you dont mind, I wanna show my AA Enterprise-E I repainted years ago. These pics were taken on an older camera. I also like to fix up old toys and make them accurate. I did that with a lot of my Trek ships. Also with Megazord from the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.  Right now Now im finishing off my Polar Lights 1/350 1701-A. That model is big!

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 09:53:15 PM »
Also with Megazord from the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. 

wait, so im not the ONLY one with the ORIGINAL set?!?!??!!?? cookie sir!
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Erk

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 10:02:50 PM »
wait, so im not the ONLY one with the ORIGINAL set?!?!??!!?? cookie sir!

Guess not lol. I got the Megazord, Titanus, and Dragonzord. And they are still as awesome now as they were when I was a kid!

Last summer I started watching Zyuranger, and decided to modify my zords to look more accurate to onscreen ones. Why?? Because I'm slightly insane. But I bought the accurate stickers from Reprolabels and have been very happy.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 10:04:53 PM »
Guess not lol. I got the Megazord, Titanus, and Dragonzord. And they are still as awesome now as they were when I was a kid!

Last summer I started watching Zyuranger, and decided to modify my zords to look more accurate to onscreen ones. Why?? Because I'm slightly insane. But I bought the accurate stickers from Reprolabels and have been very happy.

The classic Megazord still rocks.  http://sonohara.donmai.us/data/5bfe1fe4607ac4c20aa4e8c1c1b52950.jpg :angel

Also, nice work with repainting the AA Sovvie.  I love the model, but damn, the thing is blank.  There's SUPPOSED to be a new version coming soon, but...well, I think we all know how unstable AA's release schedules are.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Erk

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 10:15:20 PM »
Yeah I actually saw it in person at comic-con and  had mixed feelings lol. I was really happy that it was coming out, but sad that I did all the work to fix mine up. AA/DST is great with products, but they suck at releasing things! I heard they were also doing the Excelsior and Enterprise-C too.

That pic I posted was taken in 2007. I got decals that I printed out for it... just havent gotten to it yet. But thank you!

http://s959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79/erk1701e/AA%20Enterprise-E%20Toy%20repaint/

Once my 1/350 is done ill probably just put the decals and be done with it already.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 01:00:03 AM »
the paint looks a bit rough, but not bad.  The thing to keep in mind with Aztecing is to keep the lines sharp.

Offline Erk

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 01:34:09 AM »
the paint looks a bit rough, but not bad.  The thing to keep in mind with Aztecing is to keep the lines sharp.

Yeah, the tough thing about aztecing is not applying too much paint! That Ent-E I did when I was 16 or 17. I was also impatient and never really happy with the colors so I kept re-mixing and re-painting. Oh well. I don't want to spam Bren's thread w/my models and stuff, but if you want to check out my Enterprise-A progress let me know. I'd like to think I've improved in 5 years and any input/feed back would be nice :)

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 07:50:04 AM »
Yeah I actually saw it in person at comic-con and  had mixed feelings lol. I was really happy that it was coming out, but sad that I did all the work to fix mine up. AA/DST is great with products, but they suck at releasing things! I heard they were also doing the Excelsior and Enterprise-C too.

I don't know about the C, but they are doing the B to go along with the Excelsior.  As well as a Bird of Prey with landing gear.  And a TNG beak-nose Klingon disruptor.

And I hope that they make the darn warp engines glow on the new Ent-E version.  That really disappointed me with the first one.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Erk

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
And I hope that they make the darn warp engines glow on the new Ent-E version.  That really disappointed me with the first one.

Same! I dont want to crack open and rewire another one!

As for the Playmates JJprise, I've been doing research on the ships hull patterns. I've discovered that it has the same 5 colors that make up the Refit Enterprise. White, Iridescent Blue, Iridescent Gold, Iridescent Red and Iridescent Green. The iridescent colors are hard to pick out due to their nature of changing in the light. The beauty of irdescent colors is depending on the lighting, the can show up, look like an off color like grey, or be invisible completely. That's what makes painting the refit/1701-A so hard.

I'm not sure if you need them, but I have a few sites you can use for references.

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=19314
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=19940
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/index.php?cat=59

Also, if you have the Blu-Ray version of Star Trek, they have the flight simulator where you can go around the new Enterprise. That's where all those colors really show.

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 11:10:59 PM »
Thanks for the reference, dude! I was aware of most of it, but every little helps, right? :thumbsup:
The JJaztec started only as a way to avoid mowing the grass, so I wasn't going to show my face in the house to look up reference :P

Nice work on your AA Enteprise-E. I have a Wesco Wall Clock Enterprise-E (a casting by Wesco of the AMT/Ertl Enterprise-E with a generic clock slapped in the saucer) which I eventually intend to do something similar with, as well as re-kejiggerin' the lighting, so I may go looking for a little advice on masking some of those smaller details. I also have the AA/DST Nemesis Enterprise-E repaint on pre-order. It's supposed to be available at the end of this month, so fingers crossed. I ordered it in October '10.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 11:42:19 PM »
Thanks for the reference, dude! I was aware of most of it, but every little helps, right? :thumbsup:
The JJaztec started only as a way to avoid mowing the grass, so I wasn't going to show my face in the house to look up reference :P

Nice work on your AA Enteprise-E. I have a Wesco Wall Clock Enterprise-E (a casting by Wesco of the AMT/Ertl Enterprise-E with a generic clock slapped in the saucer) which I eventually intend to do something similar with, as well as re-kejiggerin' the lighting, so I may go looking for a little advice on masking some of those smaller details. I also have the AA/DST Nemesis Enterprise-E repaint on pre-order. It's supposed to be available at the end of this month, so fingers crossed. I ordered it in October '10.

Entertainment Earth has it listed for September...When you do get it, post pics!  The single pic I've been able to find shows that it looks better, but I want to know that it IS better before I order it to replace mine.  I'd also like to replace my TWOK 1701 if I were able to find out that the missing panel on the bottom of my ship's saucer was just a flub with my particular ship...

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Erk

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2011, 12:39:07 AM »
Entertainment Earth has it listed for September

Lol, and last month it was listed for August! Thanks for the compliment Bren, and please do post pics of the Ent-E!! I saw it in person at comic-con and was pleased that their display model was fully aztecd, both top AND BOTTOM, unlike the older version.The colors and pattern seemed extremely accurate.  I didn't get to see the lights though. They better freakin' fix the nacelles!  It would be nice if they included the "light up" button that the Enterprise-D has.

If they don't light it up correctly, I'll post a tutorial on how to fix it up!

...but i pray i dont have too....

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 12:27:58 PM »
Welp, according to DST's Facebook Feed, they've had to switch factories, and the ships are still not in production (I say ships because they're doing a re-run of the All Good Things Enterprise-D, as well).

But, speaking of the Sovereign class, I have been doing a little work on the clock one.

Project, The Third!

Here's how it looked before (not my photo):

I first added black electrical tape to the areas flanking the command decks, and used a silver pen to add the line details there. That rubbed off fairly quickly, but I plan to do all that with paint later in the project anyway. I also added black tape to the corresponding area on the bottom of the saucer, either side of the engineering hull, and to the divide between the bussard collector openings on the front of the nacelle.

Then I removed the clock from it, which was easy to pull the hands off, and inside, it's just a generic clock motor wired to the slightly over-complicated lighting circuit. I also added some mottled plastic inside the port bussard collector, to better simulate the cloudy effect seen in the films.

You can see in that first picture, the hole where the clock hands were. The winder for the clock stuck out underneath, near the deflector trench.

It's incredibly cheaply made - Just a cast of a completed AMT model kit, a strangely complex wiring job, and a generic clock motor with a dummy battery wired to the main batteries, and a poor, inaccurate paint job.

While I had the nacelle apart, I messed around a little :p

I got bored of looking at the bridge hole, so I fashioned a bridge out of Blu-tak.

And detailed it with silver pen and marker.

There is some lighting in the saucer, and a few windows are cut-through, but the bulbs aren't terribly bright, and there is some heinous light bleed, so to kill two birds with one stone, I coated the inside of the ship with a chrome spray paint.

It didn't have the amazing effect I was hoping for, but I do intend to replace the lights with brighter LEDs. I think I may end up rewiring the ship entirely. The circuitry that's in her at the moment is needlessly complex, and drains the batteries.

The ship's warp nacelles do not feature transparent field coils, they are molded out of the same stinky granular plastic as the hull, and are just as thick. I sanded some of the dark blue paint off the nacelle, and wired a blue LED in place of the Bussard collector's original Rice Bulb.

But the effect was underwhelming, due to the thickness of the field coil plastic. So I took a dremel(ish) tool rounded sanding head to the inside and thinned the coil out to about a quarter of it's original thickness.

I pinched in a white LED to light the Bussard for a test, and in low-light, it looks pretty good!

But in bright light, not so great. I may have to give the feild grill a blue-wash. The plastic colour tends towards yellow, which looks wrong in bright light.

I may have to put a second blue LED into the back of the nacelle, to balance the light a little, but I'm currently experimenting with reflectors inside the nacelle, to bounce light around a little more, so I'll see how that goes when I have it refined a little more.

I've been leaving the starboard nacelle mint for the moment, for comparison's sake.

I sanded off the chrome paint in a couple of places to test some ideas I had for strategic light-bleed, to light the deflector and the registry lighting.

It's rather underwhelming at the moment, and the camera only barely picks up the deflector in the darkest of conditions, but the plastic is still very thick there, and it's still just a Rice Bulb, so there's a ways to go yet. The registry spot is only barely visible, even to human eyes.

That's all for the moment! Here's one of my favourite photos from this project so far...

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »
That's actually very good for starting from a cheap clock base.  How much did it cost?

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 04:56:29 PM »
I'm sorry, but I genuinely can't remember. I bought it about 13 years ago - if I even bought it at all! It may have been a gift.

Thanks for the complement. I've yet to repaint the outside. I shall be going full aztec on it. :)

Do you guys think I should try to accurize the deflector trench? The plastic's probably thick enough for me to use another grinder head to make it angular instead of rounded. It's a risk, though.

Hey, Erk, I looked back over your photos of the Enterprise-E. The Aztec work, particularly on the bottom of the ship, is very impressive! I'd love to see pictures of your other custom toys!

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 07:35:04 PM »
I'm seeing a little light bleed in one of the pics near the nacelle you've allready tweaked.

clear LEDs in the saucer will work perfectly for windows.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 08:39:48 PM »
Thanks, KCS! I'm still tweaking the lighting and the light-insulation is only half-done in the nacelle (the inboard half is not done at all yet).

But eagle eyes are good! Let me know if you spot anything else!