Author Topic: Unmountable boot volume  (Read 479 times)

Offline Vbeserk

• Cookies: 2
Unmountable boot volume
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:59:48 PM »
So, as always my old Dimension 4600 has a problem and is the unmountable boot volume question and i have tried everything but it didn't worked at all people says all kinds of stuff like IDE cables and even that the HD has died well i don't think that my HD has passed away but it doesn't even start the fail-safe options or any other option that the pc give to me and it always end up on the blue screen with the boot volume problem i have ran a IDE scan on the pc but it says that my new HD is fine but the stock one is fail, i don't remenber right now but it say some report code 7 i think this is people says that i should use the windows boot cd but i don't have the cd actually i have a windows cd but it is the one that the DELL send to me but when i have sent it to the "refit" for the first time the guys upgraded it to the Win XP professional with an SP 2 and the cd is an Win XP home premium SP1 and when i put it on the cd drive it doesn't even shows a thing it runs properly but it doesn't start on the point that people told me i have opened the desktop and the UDMA and the IDE cables seem to be in place but i have tried to put in place but it's like trying to put a crate on the floor with the crate already on the floor if you understand me the cables seem to be firmly in place so i don't think that is the cables but i think that has a crucial thing on this matter just before the PC show me the options of the fail-safe it says that the boot.ini file is invalid and it tries to boot on the C:/Windows but when it passes this point there is no way back it always goes to the blue screen ofcourse if i push ctrl+alt+del it restart it i have deactivated the option of the UDMA cable but i don't think is this too because it has always operated on this parameters, i know that this is a big text but it is explained as best as possible and as i'm not into this so much you will have to give me an step-by-step help because none of the websites that i have entered show me an definitive answer to the problem.
Hope this is an easy stuff! ;)

System specs:
-Windows XP Professional with SP2
-IDE cable 40 pin 40 wire
-HD Maxtor 2F040L0
-Error is UMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME
STOP:0x000000ED(0x87F92700,0x0000006,0x000000,0x000000)
I will be pleased with any feedback on this but to say the truth i don't think this is some easy cool stuff i think this is an pro one.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: Unmountable boot volume
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:21:20 AM »
how bout some punctuation?

something's telling me your entire motherboard is fried.  let's see if any true computer geeks can help you.  most guys, of course, would tell you to just replace the entire comp.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »
the simple answer is make the other drive the Boot drive by installing windows to it, and grab data off of the old boot drive, then reformat that stock drive to be the secondary.

Offline Vbeserk

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:09:41 PM »
Ohh i haven't thought in that it may work i just need to grab some data from this HD and then i will dispatch him to the trash :P

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »
ive had to do that once with the first 500GB hard drive my quad core had, was a shame really, as after id transfered everything to my external i had to replace the 500gb drive with a new one and re transfer my data, but my riggs working fine now.

Offline Vbeserk

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »
Woah, i was getting desperate because i thought that my data was totally lost but i think that this is easier for me to send to the PC to the guys that had repaired it sometimes but can any data be lost on this operation and there is no way to save the HD or i will need to replace the HD because it is totally burned out or something because i will have to install an new OS on it but can an Win7 OS be installed on an Intel Pentium 4 2.49Ghz? As it has 8 years old i fear the worst because then will have to install an Win XP SP3 or 4 i don't know, is this right?

Just to take a quick doubt can Star Trek Legacy run on a 2.49 Ghz processor Pentium 4

I have decided to change my video card from my pc i would want to know what is the best card for my PC with the processor from above, i'm afraid to fuse solid my computer.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 10:32:32 PM »
I don't see why Legacy wouldn't run on that rig as it came out way before the advent of dual cores and quad cores...your rig should handle it!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Vbeserk

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 05:59:25 PM »
I don't see why Legacy wouldn't run on that rig as it came out way before the advent of dual cores and quad cores...your rig should handle it!

Thank God i though that it would make some kind of problem with my rig, well now i will have a 512mb video card if my pc supports it :P .