Author Topic: Excalibur | Modder's Questions  (Read 3120 times)

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
Re: Excalibur | Modder's Questions
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 03:52:05 PM »
thank you again mark... you make me happy to hear your comments in regards to what the computer and power networks functionality will bring :)

cant wait.
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline FekLeyr Targ

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 537
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 12:47:19 AM »
How will star systems and planets work? (Landing/crashing on planets, supernovas, creating star systems and planets...)
TaH pagh, Tah be.

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 03:57:10 AM »
Sorry for not getting back to these questions sooner

Does Excalibur has an edit mode for taking screenshots like we have in BC (or something similar)?

I'm not sure what you mean by an edit mode that is in BC?

Or perhaps a more controllable version of Cinematic mode?

It will have a cinematic camera, yes.

I'd like to say that having the hardpoint editor and other features accessible ingame is sort of immersion breaking for me.  At the very least, have a "hardcore" mode toggleable in options, or have access limited to your instant action interface or something like that.

Just because the tools are built into the game (engine) doesn't mean that they are presented as part of the game (play).

Now that has me interested, would the turrets actually face the target?

Wouldn't be much use if they didnt lol

how much in depth can we get with interiors? (i assume that modding the interiors involves the same process as the ships.)

Much closer than it is for Bridge Commander. Making interiors firstly involves modelling the set pieces and setting them up. Once that is done a modder would be able to drag and drop modular pieces of decks to quickly build the deck structures. This is going to be pretty complex to get working but it will enable a huge amount of interiors to be built without massively high skill levels.

is this based on individuals hardware factor, or does the engine limit how much of the physical interior can be modeled?

Because the set pieces are all in chunks this isn't an issue. Even if they weren't Evolved culls individual faces and textures which cannot be seen on screen just like most other modern game engines, so it wouldn't be an issue.

Might have forgot this from the hardpoints video or it wasn't mentioned at all but how does object rescaling work? Do all of the hardpoints scale up/down with it like in Armada or Legacy or will it be a manual operation?

I'm not sure I have tried that in the HPE yet. Certainly when you transform an object with children those children will also move.

How will star systems and planets work? (Landing/crashing on planets, supernovas, creating star systems and planets...)

That is a pretty broad question lol. Star systems are created in a similar fashion to hardpointing a ship (we actually are creating a solar system hardpoint in the background as you do it). Planets do orbit around stars but we stopped short of making the stars orbit around the galaxy due to the complexities that would bring in. Travelling around the universe will be completely fluid, so you can lose warp power at any time and get stuck in dead space :D.

thank you again mark... you make me happy to hear your comments in regards to what the computer and power networks functionality will bring :)

cant wait.

Thanks, can't wait to see you all trying it out.

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 04:34:53 AM »
As you know my area of interest is interiors/bridges, so here goes:

Will there be a form of Immersion/advanced WalkFX and how will it be implemented?

Assuming will be animated figures, what skeletal animation are you using?

You mentioned DDS as file format earlier; I'm really interested in improving lcar animations. Is there any possibility some form of flash/swf can be used to create more realistic-looking cycling animations rather than the limited tga.ifls? 

Will there be any way to improve interior lighting fx in interiors?  (I'm thinking equivalent of glows and specs on ships)

that's all for mo  :)

Offline 007bashir

• Cookies: 111
  • Android User/Screenshooter/Sci-Fi Rendering
    • http://007bashir.deviantart.com/
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 06:24:15 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by an edit mode that is in BC?

In BC there is an Edit Mode in QB that allows you to edit the lightning, Ships placement etc. to make some awsome Screenshots we are taking now with BC.

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 06:30:02 AM »
In BC there is an Edit Mode in QB that allows you to edit the lightning, Ships placement etc. to make some awsome Screenshots we are taking now with BC.

You type it in the console with this command.

Edit()

Offline JB2005

• Scripter, Lawyer, Soldier, Spy
  • Cookies: 58
    • Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 08:12:22 AM »

It's also used in Mission Scripting/System Scripting to add placements and other things to systems :)
http://captainsordersdevelopmentblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/preview-no-1.html- Captains Orders Development Blog - Last Updated 10/12/2011

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 06:57:42 PM »
Could we re-purpose this thread to a General Excal thread?

Also

http://www.stexcalibur.com/qb/promo/

A Progress page for the Quickbattle Modual!