Author Topic: Star Trek Continues Finale  (Read 921 times)

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
Star Trek Continues Finale
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:53:07 AM »
The fan series Star Trek Continues put their final episode up on Youtube today. 

Yeah, at times it was just as cheesy as TOS, if not more, but as fanfilms go, STC was a pinnacle of production, it's a shame to see it end so soon.

This whole mess with Axanar has led to the end of what was a golden age of fan productions.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
Re: Star Trek Continues Finale
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »
Continues was easily the best fan series I'd ever seen.  Fuck Axanar for ruining fan films for everyone else.

The cheesiness is just a part of TOS and the fact that Continues replicated it just right, while telling the kind of TOS-style stories, really shows how much care went into it.  The finale was very well done and I admit I was kind of choked up a bit with McKenna.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 04:16:25 PM »
I'd argue that CBS should've worked with Axanar to come up with a solution, maybe an official license. Instead of suing the pants off Axanar, and ending up "losing" (yes, it's a loss when CBS was forced to come to a settlement out-of-court). New Voyages ended their run prematurely, and they were awarded with an official license to run a Trek Museum. So it seems pretty arbitrary what you can or can not do with the Trek IP before CBS steps in... New Voyages, Continues, Axanar... they all ran crowdfunding programs and made a ton of money, but only Axanar got sued. Continues decided to end their run prematurely, possibly because of Axanar, but also Vic's got an official voice role in Star Trek Online, so I guess you get rewarded for cooperating with CBS... and sued if you don't.

As for Continues finale, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Both this and the previous episode (Part 1), which tied together the show with both the start of TOS proper, and TMP. It was a really nice send-off in the end.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
I really liked that episode, like most of them. Continues was probably the best done TOS style fan series out there.

But, oh god, they managed to kill of most/all of the new non-canon crew members. So much for my headcanon that the security chief eventually lead earth defence forces and Masters became XO of an Excelsior ship....

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »
but also Vic's got an official voice role in Star Trek Online, so I guess you get rewarded for cooperating with CBS... and sued if you don't.

Vic is a professional voice actor, and STO's voice roles are planned out months in advance.

Yes someone at Cryptic probably suggested him (and the other actors) due to liking Continues but connecting it with the justified controversy around Axanar is a stretch.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 02:44:57 AM »
Vic is a professional voice actor, and STO's voice roles are planned out months in advance.

Yes someone at Cryptic probably suggested him (and the other actors) due to liking Continues but connecting it with the justified controversy around Axanar is a stretch.

It's been said that nothing goes into STO without CBS direct approval. Vic violated Trek IP almost as extensively as Axanar did (using sets based on the TOS sets, uniforms, characters, did his own major crowdfunding etc). All of which are now forbidden according to CBS "guidelines" for fan films. And yet, he was rewarded with a voice role on STO (approved by CBS) despite the numerous violations.

Hardly a stretch... But if people wanna continue to bash one Fan Project, and not objectively looking at it as being unfair compared to how other fan projects/fan project managers have been treated...
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:45:13 PM »
Part of the problem with Axanar was that they took the step to bill themselves as professional, even going as far as advertising their studio for making professional films after Axanar.  That opened Axanar Productions up as a direct competitor to CBS/Paramount.

Continues on the other hand, stayed a fan production, they crowdfunded, but they aren't advertising their services as professionals, so I think CBS/Paramount was more willing to look the other way.

I don't think CBS will be throwing C&Ds at every fan film that runs more then 15 minutes though.  These are just guidelines, CBS is saying "we definitely won't sue you if you do these things." rather then "You must play by our rules or else."  If that were the case, Continues and Farragut wouldn't be given the opportunity to finish their runs.

Admittedly, I'm sure some of Continues' episodes inspired the guidelines regarding reenacting scenes from old episodes. 

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 08:55:21 PM »
CBS also said when they released the rules that any production that was still in production was allowed to finish.

These last few episodes of Continues were in pre-production.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 12:08:28 AM »
but only Axanar got sued.
That's because Axanar was using the Star Trek IP to build a for-profit production studio.  Continues and New Voyages actually used the money to produce fan films and didn't take a profit.  That's why Axanar got sued - they broke the rules and ruined it for everybody.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 02:03:25 AM »
I binged most of Continues recently and I have to say, I'm shocked at how easily Vic Mignogna channeled TOS Shatner.  But even more shocked at how close he appeared to TMP Kirk in the final scenes.

Probably the only episode I kinda have to ignore is the one where they straight up say that there are no female captains.  That's an obvious falsehood unless Georgiou was the last for who knows how long.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 07:06:43 AM »
I binged most of Continues recently and I have to say, I'm shocked at how easily Vic Mignogna channeled TOS Shatner.  But even more shocked at how close he appeared to TMP Kirk in the final scenes.

Probably the only episode I kinda have to ignore is the one where they straight up say that there are no female captains.  That's an obvious falsehood unless Georgiou was the last for who knows how long.

TOS itself said "there are no female captains", the episode with the woman taking over Kirk's body. May have even been the series finale?

So yeah, not all things in TOS needs to be taken as "canon".
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 04:28:21 PM »
She also wasn't quite right in the head.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 10:02:04 PM »
She also wasn't quite right in the head.

Correct. And if Discovery is to be taken as part of the same timeline as TOS, then I guess Georgiou never was a Captain, and Burnham hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell of becoming Captain: No female Captains in Starfleet.

Also what about Erica Hernandez of the Columbia back in 2154? Nope, no female Captains.
Ad Astra Per Aspera