Author Topic: Updating BC  (Read 5535 times)

Offline FekLeyr Targ

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 537
Re: Updating BC
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 06:06:57 AM »
Looks like I've failed to mention these community patch projects from the "Command & Conquer"-Community:

Tiberian Technologies for C&C Renegade:
http://www.tiberiantechnologies.org/

Ares for C&C Red Alert 2 - Yuri's Revenge:
http://ares-developers.github.io/Ares-docs/

HyperPatch for C&C Tiberian Sun:
https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27290

Perhabs these can also serve as inspiration for updating BC. :)
TaH pagh, Tah be.

Offline Tethys

• -=USF=- Co-Leader
  • Cookies: 89
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 11:25:22 PM »
While checking BC's credits on Mobygames (see link below), I wasn't able to find a Lead Developer but two guys in Game System Programming:
David Litwin (who was also the Project Leader): http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,11141/
Erik Novales: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,57702/

BC's credits on MobyGames:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/star-trek-bridge-commander/credits

Edit: According to an article on Gamespot, BC's engine is called NetImmerse 3.0.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/bridge-commander-engine-details/1100-2589046/

Very good, first steps in what I'm sure is to be a long unpaved road ahead of us lol

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 01:33:18 PM »
I would not expect any of the former dev team members to have the source code. I understand that TG went bust, so if anyone bought TG assets they are the ones that have the source code. Former employees can't exactly have the source code in their possession as it doesn't belong to them, having it could be regarded as theft (depending on the circumstances of course). Also depending on the type of contract TG made with the owners of the IP source code might not even belong to them legally.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Flowrellik

• Cookies: 7
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 11:08:59 PM »
I am in full agreement in modifying BC's engine, esp. in terms of adding new stuff like normal mapping to ships/enviornments, and maybe having turrets work for some ships?

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 03:02:37 PM »
I would not expect any of the former dev team members to have the source code. I understand that TG went bust, so if anyone bought TG assets they are the ones that have the source code. Former employees can't exactly have the source code in their possession as it doesn't belong to them, having it could be regarded as theft (depending on the circumstances of course). Also depending on the type of contract TG made with the owners of the IP source code might not even belong to them legally.
This is an excellent point and a potential bump in the road.

I am in full agreement in modifying BC's engine, esp. in terms of adding new stuff like normal mapping to ships/enviornments, and maybe having turrets work for some ships?
I think a lot of us are in the same boat at this point.  If anything, however, I think solving the memory leak problems should be top priority before anything else.  The pretty things like normal mapping for example would have to get in line.

Offline Tethys

• -=USF=- Co-Leader
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2018, 07:38:23 PM »
I agree with Morgan, memory leaks must be first and foremost, then fix anything else broken. After DiamondBC-ing the EXE, I think it would be wise to update the networking engine and bring that aspect of the game up to current technology levels (dsl internet speeds at the slowest), also improve the scripts checksumming to deter cheaters (as new features will be added that they might try to exploit/bugs, and I was told this was handled by the EXE and not MultiplayerDirTest.py). Since BC's built in anticheat is trash, I feel like this could benefit the MP community and help bring back activity to online BC. Later on, it would sure be nice to see model damage in MP ;)

Offline vonfrank

• Cookies: 182
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 11:01:23 PM »
So has any progress been made with this?

Like I said before, I'd love to help in any way I can but my programming knowledge is quite basic (no pun intended  :P ).

Is there anything us plebs can do to help you scripting wizards with this?

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2018, 12:54:16 PM »

If no announcements have been made here or in another thread then I'd say no.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Morgan

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 05:54:07 PM »
I should probably clarify that this wasn't an announcement thread for any projects, just a discussion on the source code and whether or not it could be obtained, if the .exe could be modified in someway without it, and what we would do if we had any of those options.  Basically just talking.

Offline Tethys

• -=USF=- Co-Leader
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2018, 08:51:21 PM »
Think of it as a new pregnancy.. The project is not even born yet and still has many months left to develop/discuss :P

I don't even think we have settled on a name yet, have we?  :rolleyes

Offline vonfrank

• Cookies: 182
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2018, 10:22:14 PM »
I don't even think we have settled on a name yet, have we?  :rolleyes

Bridge Commander 2: Cardassian Boogaloo

Offline Tethys

• -=USF=- Co-Leader
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2018, 11:23:52 PM »
Project Neutronium. Or Neutrium.

Offline Flowrellik

• Cookies: 7
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2018, 02:23:32 AM »
Dilithium Sunrise anyone?

Offline Tethys

• -=USF=- Co-Leader
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 11:00:03 AM »
Blackhole BC: Nothing escapes  :funny

on second thought, BC: Pakled Edition (make us go) :icon_lol:

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »
It seems like everyone is on board with one way or another.  I've been considering remastering it using Unity for the 20th anniversary.  I realize there may be "legal" issues, but, we're not out to make money from this right???
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Morgan

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 12:20:46 PM »
It seems like everyone is on board with one way or another.  I've been considering remastering it using Unity for the 20th anniversary.  I realize there may be "legal" issues, but, we're not out to make money from this right???
As long as we don't make any financial profit from it we're fine.  I'm pretty sure the game is abandonware at this point.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »
Would anyone like to help?  Lol can’t do this myself!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Tethys

• -=USF=- Co-Leader
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 09:13:33 PM »
Unity you say? I may have someone who would help, but not sure how much free time he has, I believe he is attending college or some technical school.. I will pass the word along :)

Offline FekLeyr Targ

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 537
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2018, 08:05:48 AM »

Unity you say? I may have someone who would help, but not sure how much free time he has, I believe he is attending college or some technical school.. I will pass the word along :)

Unity is a good choice.
Except for some smaller inconveniences, we're having a good experience in using Unity for "X-Wing Virtual Machine", which is basically the same you're proposing. :)
http://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm
TaH pagh, Tah be.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2018, 04:27:57 AM »
I was kinda hoping to build a team here of scripters/modelers/textures, the latter of which I’ve improved on immensely lol