Author Topic: Star Trek: Picard Discussion (WARNING: SPOILERS)  (Read 6439 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
Star Trek: Picard Discussion (WARNING: SPOILERS)
« on: August 04, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »
It will star Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard, and will take place roughly 20 years after Nemesis. Still in early Pre-Production, no scripts yet and they're still working out the story.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/08/patrick-stewart-returns-new-star-trek-series-announcement/

https://deadline.com/2018/08/patrick-stewart-star-new-star-trek-series-jean-luc-picard-cbs-all-access-1202440156/

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Star Trek Picard
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 06:25:34 PM »
And best of all...

NOT A REBOOT!
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

Star Trek Picard
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »
It's being produced by all the same people as DSC Season 2 (plus Akiva Goldsman and Patrick Stewart)

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
Star Trek Picard
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 07:56:04 PM »
from what i understand, the show is only about Picard, after he retired from Starfleet and goes back to earth... i dont think there is any new ship or crew or anything space...  i hope i am wrong, but ill watch it either way...

Offline Tuskin38

Star Trek Picard
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
They didn't give any plot details at all other then when it takes place.

But I can't see Picard being captain at the age he would be 20 years after Nemesis.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Star Trek Picard
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »
He would likely be an Admiral.

Then again this could be a reprisal of the final ep of TNG just without that backwards working temporal anomaly
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Tuskin38

Star Trek Picard
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »
I wonder if there will be any nods to the novels since the lead writer is a novel writer for the post-Nemesis era.

I don't mean any plot relevant references that require you to read the books, but off hand references that novel readers would understand.

Like there is a diploma in Georgiou's ready room in DSC had a reference to the Andorian Capital city from the books. Just nods/Easter eggs, nothing more.

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
Star Trek Picard
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 09:09:28 AM »
from what i understand, the show is only about Picard, after he retired from Starfleet and goes back to earth... i dont think there is any new ship or crew or anything space...  i hope i am wrong, but ill watch it either way...

:D.  He could read the phone book (that dates me!).  I was never a massive TNG fan but have come to love, and PS has always been a stand-out actor.  So any new series with him fine by me - as long as it's intelligent.  Any TNG cameos will just be welcome decoration...

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1077
    • Blackrook32's YouTube Channel
Star Trek Picard
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 11:44:39 AM »
And best of all...

NOT A REBOOT!

Thank Goodness for that!! :dance

He would likely be an Admiral.

Then again this could be a reprisal of the final ep of TNG just without that backwards working temporal anomaly

I hope this is the Post VOY era that was depicted in TNG's All Good Things and VOY's Endgame. Given 16 to 20 years later from the VOY series, is what it should be now.

Hope springs eternal... :doh:

:D.  He could read the phone book (that dates me!).  I was never a massive TNG fan but have come to love, and PS has always been a stand-out actor.  So any new series with him fine by me - as long as it's intelligent.  Any TNG cameos will just be welcome decoration...

I read that Sir Patrick decided to reprise his role, because of the current social climate today. In his opinion, Picard was inspirational. And this up and coming generations certainly needs some inspiration out there.

" Fortune Favors the Bold "

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Trek Picard
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 07:11:13 AM »
As much as I love Discovery and the Kelvin Timeline movies, it is far past time for us to have a series that takes place after Nemesis.  And I can think of none better to usher in that era than Jean-Luc Picard.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
Star Trek Picard
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 11:10:12 PM »
I'm excited to see Picard again; however, and unpopular opinion incoming.....

I've always been in the minority that thinks going post-Voyager/Nemesis isn't the best move.  It's great for us hardcore fans, but the reality is the franchise has to attract new fans in order to survive.  Another 24th century show would be bogged down following up on DS9, and some of Voyager.  That's a two series that someone would need to be familiar with unless you bog the show down with exposition explaining everything with the Dominion War and the Borg.  Or you could just pick it up and, while us fanboys will know what's going on within half a second of hearing the dialog, the newcomers very likely will miss it, not appreciate, or feel like they missed something.  Of course, you could take the third route and do yet another TNG rehash, but that would be a waste of potential and end up like Voyager and the first two seasons of Enterprise.

I think Enterprise was the right direction to go in ultimately.  Say what you will about the execution, but the premise of exploring how the Trek universe came to be was, in my mind, really the last ground to explore.  TOS started it.  TNG expanded on it.  DS9 pushed the boundaries of it.  Voyager retreaded TNG but could have been another DS9 pushing boundaries.  Enterprise's fourth season showed that there is stuff worth seeing when it comes to how the Trek universe came to be.  Sadly it failed.

The JJ movies are decent action flicks, and Discovery is (in my opinion) not a bad show, but none of the post-Enterprise shows seem to be more than making more Trek for the hell of it.  I'm worried this new Picard show, in addition to what I wrote above, might be similar.  Good, but kind of like "what's the point?"

Offline Tuskin38

Star Trek Picard
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 10:06:48 AM »
I always felt a post-Nemisis show should be ~100 years after VOY, like how TNG was ~100 years after TOS.

A big enough gap that you won't necessarily would need to watch the previous series to understand it.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Star Trek Picard
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 07:28:08 AM »
frankly, I think it's because of protests and grumbling by old Trekkies/Trekkers that it went in that direction.  the JJverse seems to have shut down, and the discoverse, AU or not, is causing a lot of people to just headtilt in confusion.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Tuskin38

Star Trek Picard
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 10:49:46 AM »
https://trekmovie.com/2018/12/10/alex-kurtzman-star-trek-picard-series-will-be-extremely-different-from-discovery/

“It’s an extremely different rhythm than Discovery, Discovery is a bullet. Picard is a very contemplative show. It will find a balance between the speed of Discovery and the nature of what Next Gen was, but I believe it will have its own rhythm.”

Offline Tuskin38

Star Trek Picard
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »
More info released, they're not ignoring the supernova from Star Trek 09

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/01/picard-star-trek-series-heavily-influenced-by-2009-romulan-disaster/

Offline JimmyB76

Star Trek Picard
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 03:30:31 PM »
i am a little unsure if i understand the premise here...
is this a Picard in the JJVerse where the 2009 movies take place?
i swear the fuck hope to god it is not...
i am so sincerely praying i have this understanding incorrect...
please let this not be JJverse...

Offline Tuskin38

Star Trek Picard
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 03:50:20 PM »
i am a little unsure if i understand the premise here...
is this a Picard in the JJVerse where the 2009 movies take place?
i swear the fuck hope to god it is not...
i am so sincerely praying i have this understanding incorrect...
please let this not be JJverse...

It's in the same universe as all the other TV series.

The supernova that destroyed Romulus happened in the Prime Timeline, it plus the Red Matter is what threw Spock and Nero into the Kelvin Timeline.

Offline JimmyB76

Star Trek Picard
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 04:03:38 PM »
sooooooo this will be after Nemesis, the canon line?
i dont consider JJverse or Discovery to be canon - i dont care of they are or whatever - to me they aren't, just my personal preference...

Offline Tuskin38

Star Trek Picard
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 04:06:11 PM »
sooooooo this will be after Nemesis, the canon line?
i dont consider JJverse or Discovery to be canon - i dont care of they are or whatever - to me they aren't, just my personal preference...

Yes, it takes place 20 years after Nemesis in 2399, 12 years after the destruction of Romulus seen in Spock's mind meld in Star Trek '09.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Star Trek Picard
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 12:06:07 PM »
Or they just retcon that scene from the 2009 film, as though it never happened.

Wouldn't be the first time Trek decided to ignore past events.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera