Author Topic: Modding Questions  (Read 594 times)

Offline id10tsyndrome

• Cookies: 0
Modding Questions
« on: February 06, 2020, 11:43:14 AM »
A couple of scripting questions... I did some searches and didn't find any concrete answers so I thought I'd pose them here...

1)  Is there a max value for hit points that STBC will recognize?  Let's say that I want to set the hull hit points of the Galaxy class to the tonnage listed on the ASDB or DITL websites... aka 4,960,000.  Will STBC accept this as the hit points for the hull or does it max out at a lesser value?  Reason I ask is because, as a test, I set the hull hit points on one of the ships I've tweaked to around 100k.  Now I went up against another ship that fired a volley of torps at me (each torp was 2900 damage) and in 5 hits my hull integrity went to 0.  Luckily I didn't have the hull set to critical in the .py file so my ship didn't explode but how do 5 torps at ~3k damage destroy 100% of my hull?  The math doesn't add up... Or am I looking at this wrong?  5 torps @ 2900 = 14,500 damage.  100k - 14500 = 85,500 remaining hit points.    This leads to question 2...

2) I changed the radius size of the hull to 0.05 and buried it in the middle of the secondary hull thinking that the above scenario was caused by the fact the original hull radius was larger than the ship itself.  But changing the radius didn't keep the ship from taking massive damage with just a couple of hits.  Is there a way to correct this?

3) I know that there was a bug in BC that allowed some projectile weapons to pass through shields but I thought something in KM corrected that?  Is there a mutator or script that I can look at to make it harder for torps to pass through shields?

4) I just recently started getting back to playing BC regularly.  I have KM installed and I noticed that there are times where I'm fighting against a ship and the ship suddenly just powers down (no shields, no movement) and just sits there.  I thought it had to do with the life support functions within KM, so I disabled them but its still happening.  Am I missing something else?

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
Re: Modding Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 02:10:39 PM »
I don't think I can really help, but I'll still try:

1) Both C and Python 2 (the two programming languages used) have the same max integer value of 2147483647. Python should switch automatically to the next larger type when necessary, so this should not be the cause of the problem you describe.
I believe that one of the god-ship borg cubes also had a hull strength of 100K or so (not entirely sure, though).
So unless your ship was hit by something else, too, or the torpedoes used some tech, I have no clue what happened.

2) If memory serves, The hull property (if there is only one) always takes all the damage of hits to the ship model. It does not matter if the size of the hull property in the HP is larger or smaller than the actual ship size. I can't remember how this is handled when there is more than one hull porperty though.

3) I think that is an engine bug. It only happens when the torpedo and ship move very fast in relation to another, so I guess the engine does not detect the shield impact. In short: Not fixed in KM.

4) The only time I encountered this is when using breen dampener tech torpedoes or similar scripted attacks. (Or that live support feature you mentioned.)

Offline FekLeyr Targ

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 537
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 03:30:54 PM »
3) Ironically, it fits to what happens on screen quite often: Shields not fully protecting the ship from damage.

4) If the ship also becomes neutral, it means it has surrendered. KM features a surrender mutator.
TaH pagh, Tah be.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 02:43:17 PM »
Some ships have multiple hull properties. Have you checked if the hull you're using has the flag is primary?
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign