Author Topic: Replaying the SP Campaign again...  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Cookies: 1
Replaying the SP Campaign again...
« on: February 09, 2020, 11:06:07 AM »
Hi people of the forum  :hi: This is a fellow trek nerd and video game collector, going by the nickname of Vidmaster.

I am inclined to once again replay this awesome game again :dance and was considering a modded playthrough of the single player campaign for once. Problem is, if you drop out of the community for a couple of years, nothing makes sense anymore :rolleyes .For example there are plenty of mods here but without descriptions, this is rather worthless for a now-noob such as me.

I know of the Maelstrom Mod but are there other alternatives? I faintly remember a Upgrade Mod which felt like putting Kobayashi Maru's vessels and NanoFX while keeping the rest of the athestics...

Basically, I am interested in a mod or collection of mods that:

* keep the single player campaign playable
* keep the vanilla story and look (aka no TOS-replacer)
* makes stuff look nicer  :vb_how:
* potentially improves the gameplay without going overboard
* if it adds tons of weapons to each ship (KM-style), it should better add multi-targeting as well

Recommendations?

Offline pyratCPTN

• Cookies: 2
Re: Replaying the SP Campaign again...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 11:40:32 AM »
Heyho, BC modding scene is pretty dead by now. Like u seen, i gathered the last Jedi to build that one last BC-Temple.

Otherwise you´d completely rely on your own.
There are 3-4 bigger mods like KM, BC Supermod etc but thats it.
You either have to mess with one of the bigger mods ( There was one that doesnt mess with SP too much and promises its working, but its somewhere here in the Abyss.

Or go the way from scratch and add Mods one by one, yet you´d still need to redo alot of stuff since the mods been done by many different people and one little Mod too much may break yo existing 10 mods you added. You gotta be carefull and patient there ;)

Hope this helps a bit.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 12:21:03 PM »
You've got couple of options:
1. BC Supermod - it modifies the campaign a lot, but is notoriously unstable
2. Kobayashi Maru - it is a compilation of many mods for QuickBattle but with some SP compatibility fixes. Never played it myself.
3. This - it's in beta stages at the moment. With development hopefully to continue someday.

Most mods were designed for QB, never for SP though.

P.S. If you're looking for mods, BCfiles is back online so no need to browse dropbox. Unless there are some mods that aren't on bcfiles (though this should be a rare circumstance).
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 06:09:25 AM »
hey, even the guy in the paint booth (me) is chipping in on a new one.  patience is required, but I think she's gonna be a doozy.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline vonfrank

• Cookies: 182
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 08:27:55 PM »
I've been working on my own custom Single Player Mod on-and-off for the past several years. It's still not completely done, life keeps getting in the way for me to actually finish it, but it's 95% complete.

I've tried to create an experience that is "as screen accurate as possible" while also maintaining exciting and balanced gameplay. Almost every ship has been replaced with high quality models, all hardpoints have been extensively modified, and the mission scripts themselves have been tweaked to provide a more "lively" environment in the campaign.

I have a complete playthrough of it here on Youtube if you're interested in seeing how it looks and plays. A number of additions have been made since then, but it is fairly up-to-date:

I really, REALLY should finish this and pack it up for our dwindling community here to have fun with... I'll try and put more effort into getting it spruced up and ready for public testing soon.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 05:58:00 AM »
meanwhile, the concept behind the anniversary one is literally the exact opposite; strip it down, prune it off, shrink everything, discard developer leftovers, etc.  all to stop the engine hiccup.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 07:41:19 AM »
meanwhile, the concept behind the anniversary one is literally the exact opposite; strip it down, prune it off, shrink everything, discard developer leftovers, etc.  all to stop the engine hiccup.

To fix the engine you go into the source code of the engine. What you guys are doing is modernizing stock BC, focusing on SP (from what I gather), and if you manage also fix some scripts. This doesn't mean the engine will not "hiccup" or be more stable. The end result might make scripts more stable in SP environment (if you are focusing on that) but the core problems will remain if source code itself is not changed.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 06:07:41 AM »
from the sound of developments from last night, someone has decided to go the Excalibur route and toss the engine.  should be an interesting development.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 11:25:45 AM »
Someone going about it alone?
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 05:18:31 PM »
Interesting

Offline Vidmaster

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 03:46:18 PM »
I've been working on my own custom Single Player Mod on-and-off for the past several years.

While it certainly is impressive work, your Maelstrom Mod goes a bit too far for me. While I appreciate the bridge redesigns (especially the Klingon one), modifying the main characters' appearances from vanilla is not what I had in mind.

What I would be interested in is the framerate though, is it just the recording? But its really super-fluid...    and, obviously, should you actually release the mod I would certainly try it no matter :dance and maybe be proven wrong.

Offline vonfrank

• Cookies: 182
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 12:27:32 PM »
While it certainly is impressive work, your Maelstrom Mod goes a bit too far for me. While I appreciate the bridge redesigns (especially the Klingon one), modifying the main characters' appearances from vanilla is not what I had in mind.

What I would be interested in is the framerate though, is it just the recording? But its really super-fluid...    and, obviously, should you actually release the mod I would certainly try it no matter :dance and maybe be proven wrong.

My mod doesn't modify the character's appearance. In fact, one of the few stock assets left in my mod are the main characters models and textures.

There are other malestom mods out there, however, that DO replace the characters.

As for the framerate, my game runs in 1920x1080p @60fps. The only way to get the game to do this (as far as I know) is to run it in windowed mode at a custom resolution that matches your desktop res. This lets the game run as fast as your PC can handle, up to your refresh rate.

Offline Vidmaster

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 02:53:43 PM »
My mod doesn't modify the character's appearance. In fact, one of the few stock assets left in my mod are the main characters models and textures.

Yeah, looks like I confused it with this.

Alright, consider me interested. If you build a completed package and need a beta test, I still want to start that playthrough  :hi: