Author Topic: VonFrank's Bridge Commander Remastered Project: RELEASE  (Read 8505 times)

Offline Lakota

• Cookies: 0
Re: VonFrank's Bridge Commander Remastered Project: RELEASE
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2020, 10:05:41 PM »
Alright, good to know. Since I wanna play the game vanilla first and then sloowlly mod it (and can then even make a list should people be interested) i can easily tell all bugs im encountering!

To Textures, yes Backgrounds like Vesuvi or Starbase 12 are pretty stretched or blurry, like worse than in the original stbc.
Same for Drydock area at the begin and Tevron, i didnt get further yet but ive also encountered a few crashes, but i expected them anyway with how old the game is.

Offline Lakota

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2020, 07:55:12 PM »
Been playing a bit more, Game seems to crash here and there especially when loading some missions after having done a few, could be Ram issues or just the game being itself.
The USS Berkleys background texture says USS Hood when talking to the captain
Some Backgrounds arent blurry like in the Vesuvi Dust cloud, also some some systems give a very hard fps drop when you face the planet/sun.

And out of curiousity, what is Full Foundation? I couldnt find it here nor on any site ^^;

Offline AdmiralChocolate

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »
This mod is the first thing that's worked in a while.  I can get the game to display properly, fly around etc.

One major problem: mouse simply doesn't work.  I have no mouse pointer at all in the menus.

In flight, the mouse is useless.  When I try to use it to move the camera, the movement is completely erratic and seemingly unrelated to mouse inputs.

What's up with the mouse ?

Offline vonfrank

• Cookies: 182
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2020, 10:27:02 PM »
To Textures, yes Backgrounds like Vesuvi or Starbase 12 are pretty stretched or blurry, like worse than in the original stbc.
Same for Drydock area at the begin and Tevron

The textures included in Remastered are double the resolution of the stock background nebulae (1024x1024 instead of 512x512) but due to the game's poor handling of RAM usage, the resolutions cant really be increased beyond that without major instability. Personally I still think they look better than stock but to each their own. You can certainly swap some of them back easily enough if you desire.

Been playing a bit more, Game seems to crash here and there especially when loading some missions after having done a few, could be Ram issues or just the game being itself.
The USS Berkleys background texture says USS Hood when talking to the captain
Some Backgrounds arent blurry like in the Vesuvi Dust cloud, also some some systems give a very hard fps drop when you face the planet/sun.

And out of curiousity, what is Full Foundation? I couldnt find it here nor on any site ^^;

The crashes are probably just the game showing it's age. I find it rarely crashes for me since applying the 4GB .exe patch but even that doesn't completely remove crash potential.

The Berkley's MSD displaying the USS Hood is a known detail that I hadn't gotten around to fixing yet. The Geronimo's MSD displays the USS Thunderchild as well. It's on the list to fix.

As for FPS drops when looking at certain Suns and planets... I've never had that issue. Typically FPS drops are a result of your system's limitations, not scripting. What systems in particular are you noticing the drops?

Full Foundation and Basic Foundation are not seperate downloads in any way (that I know of). They are definitely 2 distinct installations though, because If you try to install Foundation with BCUT, it gives you the option of either Basic or Full. From what I've noticed, Full has several more files included than the Basic version, and these lead to singleplayer instability.

This mod is the first thing that's worked in a while.  I can get the game to display properly, fly around etc.

One major problem: mouse simply doesn't work.  I have no mouse pointer at all in the menus.

In flight, the mouse is useless.  When I try to use it to move the camera, the movement is completely erratic and seemingly unrelated to mouse inputs.

What's up with the mouse ?

Does this happen in regular un-modded BC? Sounds like a conflict with your system in some way.

Offline AdmiralChocolate

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2020, 11:40:01 AM »
Yes, same mouse problem in unmodified (but 1.1 patched) BC in windowed mode.

Also I can't use fullscreen. If I try to run your BC remaster at fullscreen 1920x1080, it runs, but it's like I'm zoomed into an 800x600 section of the upper left of the screen.

Had same problem with stock patched BC: no resolution above 800x600 was effectively usable.

Offline AdmiralChocolate

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2020, 12:25:34 PM »
 Many thanks for doing this mod BTW. First time in a while I've had hope I would be able to enjoy BC on Windows 10.

If anything I'll need to turn down some of the graphics, once we get the mouse problem resolved. As is frame rate takes a big hit near planets. Have an old video card, Nvidia 970 GTX which doesn't help.

Offline vonfrank

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2020, 01:48:27 PM »
BC being wonky on modern systems when running in fullscreen mode is common. For example, on my system if I run in fullscreen, the game locks itself to 15fps. Not 30... 15.  :idk: Running in windowed mode I get a solid 60 at all times.

This is why I typically recommend playing the game in windowed mode matched to your desktop's resolution. Acts like the 'windowed boarderless' option on most modern games.

Offline AdmiralChocolate

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2020, 02:54:12 PM »
Can't do that this time. Monitor is 2k (2560x1440).

In any case the lack of working mouse is a huge problem. Any fix?

Mouse is a Logitech G400 if it matters.

Offline serverandenforcer

• Frustrated and Strugling Modeler
  • Cookies: 270
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2020, 10:08:41 PM »
I was able to get Galaxy Charts to work with this. However, I'm having an issue in getting DS9FX to work. Keep getting the following debug message.

Offline vonfrank

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2020, 04:20:03 PM »
I was able to get Galaxy Charts to work with this. However, I'm having an issue in getting DS9FX to work. Keep getting the following debug message.

Just a guess, but I'd be wiling to bet that the lack of 'Full Foundation' in BC Remastered is leading to this problem. Many of the fancy mods require full foundation in order to function, but it typically destroys singleplayer stability.

TBH, I'm surprised you got Galaxy Charts to work.

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2020, 04:54:09 PM »
Just a guess, but I'd be wiling to bet that the lack of 'Full Foundation' in BC Remastered is leading to this problem. Many of the fancy mods require full foundation in order to function, but it typically destroys singleplayer stability.

TBH, I'm surprised you got Galaxy Charts to work.

Actually, I spoke too soon about Galaxy Charts. It's having issues with a .py file pertaining to the functions involving the enter and exit sounds for warp.

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2020, 04:58:33 PM »
I did reinstall Foundation over it. However, it was still a no joy on any success with merging Galaxy Charts and DS9FX. I really love the quality in the craftsmanship in this mod and thought it would be cool to see if the other mods could work with it. I'm not bummed out by it by the least bit. You did amazing work with this.

Offline vonfrank

« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2020, 02:19:36 AM »
I did reinstall Foundation over it. However, it was still a no joy on any success with merging Galaxy Charts and DS9FX. I really love the quality in the craftsmanship in this mod and thought it would be cool to see if the other mods could work with it. I'm not bummed out by it by the least bit. You did amazing work with this.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

I really tried to be minimal with the number of mods included in this pack. It seems that where singleplayer is concerned, the fewer the better. For stability anyway.

Offline AdmiralChocolate

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2020, 02:19:00 PM »
I'm fine with playing in windowed, even if it is limited to 1920x1080 on my 2560x1440 display.

However the lack of mouse is a big problem.

Any ideas on maybe using dxwnd here? I have no idea what profile settings to use.  Default ones (included with dxwnd) make no difference, but I suppose they're intended for vanilla BC1.1.

Offline Vidmaster

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2020, 05:45:42 AM »
I really tried to be minimal with the number of mods included in this pack. It seems that where singleplayer is concerned, the fewer the better. For stability anyway.

Which is exactly why this pack is so nice  :)

Offline Anarchist86ed

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2020, 04:01:25 PM »
I have never, and I mean NEVER had so much trouble getting a game to work on windows 10. The mouse doesn't work. It's zoomed in. I can't even get it to run in window mode. I can run a game made in 2000 without a problem, but this game has been an absolute nightmare. I installed this, went through the steps, and this is as far as I can get.

:banghead:

Offline Gorandius1256

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2020, 06:01:31 PM »
I'm fine with playing in windowed, even if it is limited to 1920x1080 on my 2560x1440 display.

However the lack of mouse is a big problem.

Any ideas on maybe using dxwnd here? I have no idea what profile settings to use.  Default ones (included with dxwnd) make no difference, but I suppose they're intended for vanilla BC1.1.

I know it's been a couple months, but I used to have this issue with a lot of games.  you have mouse trails turned on in windows by chance?

Offline Vidmaster

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2020, 07:26:40 AM »
I assume you're referring to how the torpedo spread function seems to always overshoot the target, wait for a second delay, then suddenly start tracking. This is not really a bug, but is, unfortunately, a built-in and hardcoded limitation of BC's engine. The spread function has a 'delay' that cannot be modded (or at the very least, has a timer that no one in our modding community has ever found). As a result, the faster and more screen accurate torpedos in my mod tend to overshoot a target at a close or medium range when using multi-spread. That delay is something I will change immediately if I ever find out how.

Is there hope for this now? I saw some stuff in Discord related to it...

Offline vonfrank

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2020, 01:38:37 PM »
Is there hope for this now? I saw some stuff in Discord related to it...

Still working on it. It's never been figured out in 18 years of BC modding (to my knowledge) but there's a first time for everything.

Also, a brief rundown of features that will be included in the next release of the Remastered Mod:

New Features:
-Added Federation Luna Class
-Buffed weaponry of Dominion Founder class
-Buffed weaponry of Breen cruiser
-Upscaled intro and ending movies to 1080p @30fps (Thanks to Capt.Sedaris)
-Added proper damage icon mapping to all ships
-Removed over 200mb of unused files to reduce overall RAM usage

Bug Fixes:
-Fixed issue where starbase hitboxes were larger than the actual hull, leading to collisions
-Fixed issue where numerous ships would not display their specular maps
-Reduced visual size of Vorcha & Neghvar's Ion Cannon projectile
-Added proper Master Systems Displays for USS Berkely & USS Geronimo
-Added proper lighting to Deep Space and QuickbattleRegion system maps
-Fixed balancing of Episode 3 Mission 2 by nerfing the Romulan attackers
-Many other tweaks and fixes

Offline Haxxor1337

• Cookies: 11
    • .~*BC - Galaxy*~.
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2020, 02:08:53 AM »
Still working on it. It's never been figured out in 18 years of BC modding (to my knowledge) but there's a first time for everything.

Also, a brief rundown of features that will be included in the next release of the Remastered Mod:

New Features:
-Added Federation Luna Class
-Buffed weaponry of Dominion Founder class
-Buffed weaponry of Breen cruiser
-Upscaled intro and ending movies to 1080p @30fps (Thanks to Capt.Sedaris)
-Added proper damage icon mapping to all ships
-Removed over 200mb of unused files to reduce overall RAM usage

Bug Fixes:
-Fixed issue where starbase hitboxes were larger than the actual hull, leading to collisions
-Fixed issue where numerous ships would not display their specular maps
-Reduced visual size of Vorcha & Neghvar's Ion Cannon projectile
-Added proper Master Systems Displays for USS Berkely & USS Geronimo
-Added proper lighting to Deep Space and QuickbattleRegion system maps
-Fixed balancing of Episode 3 Mission 2 by nerfing the Romulan attackers
-Many other tweaks and fixes

Cookie for you  :thumbsup:   :Metal:

I look forward to it!!!