Author Topic: All BC modders, new and legacy: consider securing your work against plagiarism  (Read 529 times)

Dasher

To everyone who's ever released a non-trivial mod for BC, whether in the highly likely case you used Foundation or not, or any who can notify them:  Please consider posting receipts, Wayback links, all that proves prior work and makes your credits and wishes plain.

The volume of work still openly released by the modding community for Bridge Commander is enormous.  It rivals a small game studio's.  People are getting very interested in it - those who respect the authors, and some who don't.

The volume of unreleased work would blow everyone's minds and show up on some serious radar if released.  We don't want another Stage 9, nor do we want attempts to claim credit for it, clout-chase or profiteer off of it, or use it in reckless ways that would upset Activision or CBS - these should be prevented.  The record should be clear, and nobody's secret.  This is a key reason the Foundation's choice of LGPL licensing stands.

For more NIF/TGA/WAV focused work, consider this advice in whatever sense it helps you.  Your rights are better understood by all than are coders'.  As a coder responsible for the basis of our work's integration, I'll look out for others, and your thoughts matter here.

I returned to find a lot of concern, public and private, that credit was gradually stolen and the record being buried.  I've been keen to make sure this all gets settled.  The sites that went down with so many of our conversations and announcements are a huge loss.  We can rebuild it better.

If authors would rather not release work because for whatever reason, including concern about what's happening lately - I completely understand, and it's all our loss that disrespect is such a problem.  I want to help create the basis for us to work together.

And once we get on a better footing with code, just look at how clear this picture could be.  Example taken from the OpenMW project.  This could be us.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Re: Securing the record of credits and authorship on github
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 03:21:41 PM »
At this point, just issue takedown notices on ANY mod that includes Elijah's name as part of the credits. He has no right to your work, he has no right to misrepresent the truth about your work. This clown needs to be called out for the gutless little child that he is...
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
This would translate to this ie roughly: "I stole your car and I call the law against theft void therefore I am safe."

Having said that I join the Dasher statement. I want all mods over there hosted that belong to me, my former team any of my tools to be removed from the server. If any code is utilized by Elijah and his team I want it removed (I doubt it but just in case).

This has gone far enough.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline starfox1701

• Cookies: 13
So just so I understand Elijah is tring to treat Foundation as if its open source or is he tring to make tiny changes and then claim he owns it?