Author Topic: Holodeck limits  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
Holodeck limits
« on: May 19, 2007, 06:39:55 PM »
How big of a world/landscape can be created with a holodeck?

Ive always wondered but could never find a clear enough answer.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Holodeck limits
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 06:50:10 PM »
When a user moves, the landscapes moves with the user. So theoreticly, indefinite.

This was shown in Star Trek: TNG, first episode.
Data throws a rock at a wall, and they must have moved the floor or they would have hit it far sooner. This "limit" (of the rock) seems to have been removed in later episodes/shows, where the "physical" rock (Holodeck matter, not real matter) is transparently swapped out with photons and forcefields (most noticably, Voyager's EMH).

Aside from that, there is also perspective warping, since 2 users can look at eachother from quite a distance while physically being only a couple of feet away from eachother (loads of episodes show this).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 06:55:53 PM »
So if someone where to say create a miniature version of a ship (ex: a Defiant class) and control it inside the holodeck, the holodeck enviroment could be made as big as a universe, theorectically.

Or did I just mis-understand you?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 07:19:40 PM »
So if someone where to say create a miniature version of a ship (ex: a Definat class) and control it inside the holodeck, the holodeck enviroment could be made as big as a universe, theorectically.
Defines on the definition of "big" in Holodeck terms.
It can look big, but the physical size is the same. And I suppose it could get real crowed with too many people (I for one can partly sense if someone is nearby).
But as shown in Voyager, the Holodeck can extend to multiple holodecks.

Anyway, yeah, as shown in Star Trek: Generations (the Astrometrics-ish room).
It wouldn't be loaded (or viewed) all at once with data on each and every elementary particle in existence.

Or did I just mis-understand you again?
How do you mean "again"?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 07:24:31 PM »
Sorry. Didnt mean to type 'again'. I only just noticed it was there actually. LOL. I'll edit the earlier post. I was typing on another forum at the same time so I guess I wasnt fully concentrating.

Thanks for clearing up the holodeck thing though.

Its good to learn these things.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 07:29:27 PM »
You must know that this is all theorised from what I've seen.
It happens to make sense. :lol:

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 07:47:43 PM »
Well, until I see anything in a Trek tech manual to make it 'official', It seems to make sense like you said and i'll take your word for it.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 10:25:22 PM »
If I recall correctly, there's a TNG episode where a working copy of the Ent-D is created on the holodeck, and inside that copy, another holodeck where a program is used normally.
I remember the scene:
-Picard inside a room, with a 19th century look.
-he comes out and claims "Computer, end program"
-the room looks now like the holodeck. with the grids on the walls.
-he exits the holodeck, and stands in one of the ship's corridors
-again, he claims "Computer, end program"
-holodeck again. he goes out.
-now in the real world, he heads to the turbolift. and the chapter ends.

so, according to that, there's no limit on what you want to create on the holodeck.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 01:13:55 AM »
If I recall correctly, there's a TNG episode where a working copy of the Ent-D is created on the holodeck, and inside that copy, another holodeck where a program is used normally.
I remember the scene:
-Picard inside a room, with a 19th century look.
-he comes out and claims "Computer, end program"
-the room looks now like the holodeck. with the grids on the walls.
-he exits the holodeck, and stands in one of the ship's corridors
-again, he claims "Computer, end program"
-holodeck again. he goes out.
-now in the real world, he heads to the turbolift. and the chapter ends.

so, according to that, there's no limit on what you want to create on the holodeck.

I remember that episode. Title "Ship In A Bottle", where the holodeck character Professor Moriarty fooled Captain Picard, Commander Data and Lt Barclay into believing he was a real person.

Originally it started out as a holodeck malfunction, wherein Lt Barclay went to fix the problem. Data and Picard came to investigate the matter further when it was discovered that Moriarty had experienced the passage of time despite being shut off and stored as a file in the ships computer for several years. They were inside Sherlock Holmes home when Moriarty was able to call up a holodeck exit, and leave the confines of the holodeck. Or so it seamed to Picard, Data and Barclay.

In the end, Data noticed an error in Moriarty's "program" that he had created: The Enterprise-D and her crew, and managed to fool Moriarty into believing that a fictional "reality" was indeed reality. Picard called up the holodeck exit of the holographic Enterprise and ended the program. After which he double-checked to make sure that no more holodeck programs were running, and Professor Moriarty lived out his existence inside a number of isolinear chips, believing he and his loved one were flying around out in the galaxy in a shuttlecraft.

So bottom line...

Anything's possible.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

RhVaurek

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 02:05:39 PM »
 Anyone think that holodecks will ever be created in our life times? Personaly I doubt it, maybe even never be created, would be extremely cool though. You just know if they were created the public wouldnt see one for 30 years as the militarys would be keeping it for military simulations and the like.

Pegasus

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 04:13:46 PM »
So if someone where to say create a miniature version of a ship (ex: a Definat class) and control it inside the holodeck, the holodeck enviroment could be made as big as a universe, theorectically.

Or did I just mis-understand you?

Think of it as a game... it creates what you can see.... basically, it draws the enviroment as you go.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 04:40:45 PM »
You just know if they were created the public wouldnt see one for 30 years as the militarys would be keeping it for military simulations and the like.
that's what I call playing an FPS with style.......

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 06:51:51 PM »
Well, until I see anything in a Trek tech manual to make it 'official', It seems to make sense like you said and i'll take your word for it.
it is explained in the TNG Technical Manual

Offline LordReserei

• Cookies: 10
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »
As fast as computer tech grows, along with interfaces and 3D developement....anything's possible, although probably not as sophisticated as TNG/DS9/VOY holodecks, primitive...I could see something happening within our lifetimes....hell, most of the tech we have today people decades ago probably would've said "I can't see us having TV's as thin as paper, cell phones smaller than my hand, micro processors with 45nm chips and gaming being in ultra-realistic 3D within our lifetime" right?

most of that stuff was and has been innovated because of the very basis for this site, Star Trek.

And with the new innovation of Supermaps, putting real-time, radar, UAV, 3D mapping/geoscopic imaging and network integration with live video feeds, field communication for what gives the army a real life equivalent of Command and Conquer too...damn. lol
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Phenom II x6 1090T BE|24GB DDR3 1600MHz|XFX HD6870 1GB|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB/Seagate Barracuda 2TB|CM Elite 430|CM TX3 Evo

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
This may be worthy of reading to anyone still interested in this topic, contains some "explanations" for the holodeck.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/Voyager-Technical-Manual/Page_25.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/Voyager-Technical-Manual/Page_26.jpg

From reading that it explains tractor beams control a lot of the animation, so it's quite possible/plausible that this is used when you're running long distances, and the field of view could simply be based on a co-ordinates system that tells the computer "There's a hill 2 kilometers ahead in the map, in front of the other patron, so even though you're infront of each other there is in fact that huge distance"... If that made sense.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 09:35:56 PM »
 :shock:

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 09:47:57 PM »
It's the latest thread in this subsection and it's highly relevant material. Made sense to post it in here than waste an entire new thread.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.