Author Topic: Origin Of The Borg?  (Read 12771 times)

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
Re: Origin Of The Borg?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 10:26:44 AM »
Vger is simply to recent an event to be anywhere near the point of origin. Vger may certainly have been somehow effected by the borg in some way but certianly not THEIR origin. Maybe Vger can be seen as a previous iteration of the borg?

Well, it is implied that the voyager 6 probe got shot back in time after it's surmised encounter with a black hole, and was discovered by a race that tinkered  and toyed with it until it gained sentience. Then it just...erm...(what do you lot call what v'ger did to the 3 k'tingas at the start of TMP???) did 'THAT' to the race in question, but found that they were useful, and turned this race into the original (and unseen imo) borg who were sent out with vger's original programming "learn all that is learnable".  This later becomes corrupted/modified by means or persons unknown
to the assimilation thing. 

But if I use your line of thinking that vger is simply too young to be the original borg, then I come to the conclusion that voyager 6 is simply too young to be vger, having been launched in the late 20th century, and vger having assimilated "countless worlds" (to use spock's words) in it's travels, and it would take thousands of years to travel the distance it must have traveled to assimilate so much. 

Voyager 6 MUST have encountered some kind of temporal anomaly.  That or Q was having a laugh and a giggle..
I miss :bigdance:

Offline UPD Equinox

• Cookies: 2
    • Section 31 RPG
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 04:18:18 AM »
Hmm i think i'm gonna have to watch that again... I didn't remember spock saying that. But then if thats true then it may be possible that Vger did have some part in the origin of the Borg.

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »
Hmm i think i'm gonna have to watch that again... I didn't remember spock saying that. But then if thats true then it may be possible that Vger did have some part in the origin of the Borg.

its when spock goes out in the space suit to probe vger directly.  Or just after...i think...
I miss :bigdance:

admiral homer

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 05:04:24 PM »
Its during the fly over. Man i have been thinking that for a long time that it had somthing to do with the black hole that voyager 6 encountered. It would be interesting to think that v'ger started off the borg. I know i said it was a bad idea at the start of this thread but legacy never explained it well or gave it enough credit. And what if Ilia became the first Borg Queen as she had became intergrated into the ship and could control the beings she was adding to her collective as bettered herself and became so obsesed with it to the point that she wanted perfection beyond the point of her creator. If you look at v'ger in TMP the directors edition v'ger does look borg like with the greens and dark colours witch we have become used to over the years. I just dont know what to think. But could we of started the borg off from a primitive probe form the 1970's?

Oh and the term you are looking for mate is digitised. ( I think? lol)

Offline Ambassador

• Untitled
  • Cookies: 33
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 06:01:02 PM »
The Probe was launched in 1999 in the Star Trek timeline.

admiral homer

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 05:18:18 PM »
Was it? I dont think it was mate. The botany bay was launched in 1996 in the star trek timeline so i think that this kind of probe would of been obsolete and plus in 1999 wouldn't the 3rd world war of been raging? or at least the eugenics war

Offline UPD Equinox

• Section 31 RPG
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 10:36:27 PM »
They first Voyager probe was launched in 1977 with the others following soon after
The Eugenics war started in 1992.
Voyager 6 encounters the machine race in 2000
The Nomad Probe is launched in 2010
Zefram Cochrane is born in 2034
On April 5 2063 Zefram Cochrane breaks the light barrier.
In 2272 V'ger attacks earth.

admiral homer

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 03:16:44 AM »
Thank you. I thought that was right because the star trek timeline is the same up until 1992 and then it alters.

Offline UPD Equinox

• Section 31 RPG
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 07:22:50 AM »
Yeah Roddenberry just wants everything to happen faster than reality:)

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 10:05:10 AM »
The Borg Collective was started by the Borg Collective when they send back in time a Borg sphere and assimilated a planet starting the Borg Collective.

admiral homer

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2007, 01:57:14 PM »
What? That is just confusing and baffleing. Bit like the chicken and the egg lol but i dont think thats how they came  into exsistance

Offline UPD Equinox

• Section 31 RPG
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 02:13:58 AM »
Haha Senator I love it!

admiral homer

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 03:09:45 AM »
I think this one could last a while

Offline UPD Equinox

• Section 31 RPG
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 05:53:28 AM »
To be perfectly honest I think it works great as a mystery. The borg are still very powerfull. If the borg get to the state where starfleet has a good fighting chance against them and they arn't really a threat anymore then i wouldn't be so worried if they decided to make up an origin for them but while they are still a galactic menace, the more mysterious, the better.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2007, 12:32:30 PM »
actually, if the Federation establishes dialogue with the Species 8472, there would be no more Borg in less than a warp flash lol

I find it funny that the borg didn't send a big fleet, say, 5 or 6 cubes to earth in FC.
kinda like they were....testing.... the federation.
whatever their origin is, if Legacy was to be considered canonnical, the only race I saw that cautious was the Vulcans.
it could be considered accurate to the Borg procedure to not waste uneeded resources, but in the end Picard won, so they did waste resources by not sending another ship.
OMFG, why is this rethoric always there!!!?!?!!?!!!????.....

I would post another point of view, more explained, and way more extensive, but I don't want to create another cannon-vs-noncannon debate lol

admiral homer

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2007, 05:37:27 PM »
lol shame the queen dont have pointed ears. Does any one know which speices the queen is? Are the borg frightened of us cuz they always seem to send large fleets to assimulate worlds but with us its always one ship against 100 little ships blasting hell out of it!

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2007, 05:53:12 PM »
lol shame the queen dont have pointed ears. Does any one know which speices the queen is? Are the borg frightened of us cuz they always seem to send large fleets to assimulate worlds but with us its always one ship against 100 little ships blasting hell out of it!
oh, ya.
so we find out they have human roots.

the human is the only animal who runs into the same stone twice.

and they did. in Wol359 and Sector 001. both a Federation victory.
a bit mothballed, but victory nonetheless.

admiral homer

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2007, 06:04:09 PM »
Its almost like earth is like their true home and they need somthing from it not humans but somthing else

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
so we find out they have human roots.

When?

admiral homer

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2007, 01:37:26 AM »
i think he was replying to my post when i said that the borh are frightened of us and that they have human roots because of this, I think!

One thing that is bothering me and has been for ages ever since i first saw first contact, Why did picard leave the wreakage of the borg sphere on 21st century earth?