Author Topic: My most concerning question!  (Read 5488 times)

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
Re: My most concerning question!
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 11:13:05 AM »
"scotty! We got to jump to warp!"
"I can't sir! The warp coil phase inducers are out of phase with the flux capaciter ion fluxermajigger...." Ah crud I give up. :/
Ah. BUT.

When Jordi was phased out, he was still able to walk on the floor nevertheless. This is positive proof that phases can be done in such a way that they still interact with the rest of the world in some way.

Any such machiney could be stabilized in place in relationship with the rest of the ship with rods that are still, both phased, and nailed on floors and walls then, and any form of cables/buses etc leading in and out of it at some point locally dephased (or rephased) to connect with the rest of the stuff they have to connect to. (eg, a phased powered generator is sending power down a cable, which at some point is targetted by a spot dephasing thingy and is then connected to a power consuming machine in the same place the power generator is)

I reckon, utilizing such construction, we should soon be able to fit a Starbase inside a Shuttle craft. :mrgreen:

Offline RifleMan80

• BC Veteran since February, 2002
  • Cookies: 136
  • BC Machinima Bridge Commander Elder (Feb 02)
    • Rifle's Bridge Commander Machinima
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 11:19:47 AM »
 But what advantage does this give the galaxy, nebula, constitution, and miranda over one another in combat?  Back to the discussion, anyway,

The Miranda does have an advantage overlooked, maby not. the Rollbar! It has 4 photon torpedo tubes ( 2 front, 2 aft ) and two Multi-directional PIM phaser cannons. The miranda can fire its rollbar as it passes its target or the target passes to its aft, thus causing damage. The Constitution only has 4 RIM emitter aft, and no torpedo tubes. At lease none that I can see. The conni can focus forward fire like line of gatling turrets, but aft and flank combat, the Miranda would but the Conni to pieces.

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM »
Come to think about it, in KA I think that what I was doing with the Miranda was a kind of constant loops? First the forward launchers, then the back, then until I complete the loop the forward ones have charged again, then the back, and so on. Rotate like a screw in the meantime to spread whatever pain the other guy deals to you over all shields.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 11:46:17 AM »
I reckon if the Nebula was fittited for combat it would beat an unseperated galaxy. Otherwise I think the galaxy would always win. The nebula, by default, is an explorer whereas the galaxy is a heavy cruiser that's equipped to take on all types of missions.

I think the galaxy has heavy phaser arrays along with heavy shield generators. The nebula is only equipped with medium arrays and generators.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 11:58:26 AM »

And in the TNG episode "Arsenal of Freedom" when the stardrive is not with the saucer,
this area here

[/quote]
Those phaser arrays are the two that lint pointed out. The stardrive section does have a little bit of the dorsal saucer attached.

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 01:03:03 PM »
No, not those. Those are Phaser Awways. There are several more that were stated on one of the Star Trek TNG episodes. I observed durring the TNG Episode " Best of Both Worlds Part 1" That the Galaxy Class has a Phaser Emitter in the same spot where the photon torpedo bay is.
Source: Memory Alpha
Additionally, the one that looks to be coming from the forward torpedo tube in BOBW is in fact the port pylon emitter.
Its starboard counterpart can clearly be seen.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 01:05:40 PM »
Additionally, the one that looks to be coming from the forward torpedo tube in BOBW is in fact the port pylon emitter.
Its starboard counterpart can clearly be seen.

Lol, and the beam doesn't even align with the array. xD

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 02:45:05 PM »
 It was 1990, give em a break! lolz. Anyway. those two arrays were not the ones firing. The drone target was not high enough for those arrays to fire. I am gonna find a screenshot for that one.

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 01:00:33 AM »
Anyway, I believe a Constitution has the advantage of warp speed over the Miranda, but in firepower, the Miranda wins over the Connie. The Galaxy wins in warp speed, weaponry, shields but the Galaxy class doesnt have the sensor capability the Nebula does, thus the Nebula sort of being a science vessel. Galaxy takes the cake! Its Small ship Big ship ratio here.

Now Miranda vs Galaxy = rape!
Galaxy is superior in design, size, technology, speed, weaponry. But the Miranda has a menasing look to it. But the galaxy would set and laught as the Miranda threw all it had into it.

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 05:11:00 AM »
Well, here's food for thought: If the constutution was so much superior to the miranda, then why was the miranda deployed fleetwide not only at Wolf 359 (USS Saratoga) but also during the Dominion war, whereas the constitution was decidedly was not?

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 06:58:57 AM »
More easily upgradable or a more dynamic design?

They had to change practicly the entire ship when the A was appended.
Well, didn't they create a new one? But still, it's a constitution class ship, but heavily alterd, so upgrading it takes a lot of energy and materials.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 12:17:02 PM »
More easily upgradable or a more dynamic design?

That may very well be, also let's not forget Kirk almost lost to a Miranda class vessel in ST II. I think those ships are either on par or the miranda is the better ship.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2008, 12:25:54 PM »
Well, here's food for thought: If the constutution was so much superior to the miranda, then why was the miranda deployed fleetwide not only at Wolf 359 (USS Saratoga) but also during the Dominion war, whereas the constitution was decidedly was not?

I think it has all to do with the thin neck on the connie. The warp core runs through her and 24th Century weapons would most probibly rip through that section but maybe 23rd century didn't. If so this would be a huge design flaw and would take a lot of energy to fix, so it was most probibly deemed easier to retire the class and replace it with Excelsiors. (Which as we saw seemed much stronger than the Connie in ST6.)

In fact late 23rd century weapons would most probibly rip through the neck. We see in ST6 that the Photon rips through the saucer section when the BOP fires at it. Now if it can do it to the saucer it would most probibly be able to do it to the neck. However ST2 was set quite a few years earlier so it's weapons wern't as powerful so the Connie most probibly was still perfectly fine for service. However in ST6 the Ent A gets decomissioned after the attack. This would suggest that the entire fleet of connies were showing their age against new weapons.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline Aeries

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »
The connie refits were an inefficient design... yes, they could be upgraded, but as you already said... the neck was quite the design flaw. I think the Miranda triumphed because it's cheaper to construct, extremely capable with both defensive and offensive capabilities and very easily upgradable. Thus, it's lasted a long time... whereas the Connie was simply replaced with newer ships [Excelsior -> Ambassador -> Galaxy -> Sovereign], etc.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 01:50:57 PM »
even so, I think that the Connie was stronger in TMP than the Miranda in a 1 on 1 battle with each other

Offline Aeries

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 02:03:51 PM »
even so, I think that the Connie was stronger in TMP than the Miranda in a 1 on 1 battle with each other

The connie lacked any aft-firing torpedo bays. It was out-gunned. if it were to have any advantage whatsoever, it may have had stronger shields... maybe a couple more phaser batteries... but that's about it.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 06:54:30 PM »

The connie lacked any aft-firing torpedo bays. It was out-gunned. if it were to have any advantage whatsoever, it may have had stronger shields... maybe a couple more phaser batteries... but that's about it.

No, the tactical advantage was a seasoned flag officer with the ovveride codes for their shields and the ability to conduct a space-battle in a three-dimensional environment in stark contrast to a 20th cenuty commander thinking in 2D-terms. With a nequally skilled crew, the Miranda woulda kicked the crap out of that connie.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »
No, the tactical advantage was a seasoned flag officer with the ovveride codes for their shields and the ability to conduct a space-battle in a three-dimensional environment in stark contrast to a 20th cenuty commander thinking in 2D-terms.

Ah, yes, this is true.

With an equally skilled crew, the Miranda woulda kicked the crap out of that connie.

And that is what it comes right down to, no? Even with an equally skill crew, the Miranda would have kicked the crap out of the Connie.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2008, 07:25:36 PM »
Just elaborating on your point abit more ;)

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 07:42:58 AM »
Umm,
The Miranda was newer than the Connie, but performed a different role IIRC, so yes a Miranda has the edge in more modern weapons/shielding etc.

The reason it was in service (much like the Excelsior) was that it was still good in its role IMHO.

The Connie was at its design limit and replaced by the Excelsior, which in turn would probably be more powerful than a Miranda due to its role and being newer.
IMHO. :)