Author Topic: Smitherine Productions Works in Progress!  (Read 78851 times)

Offline CaptainRussell

• Cookies: 25
Re: Smitherine Productions Works in Progress!
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 08:08:47 PM »
I have the CG Sovereign cut into over 200 groups in MS3D in order to avoid smoothing errors - it's part of what I had to do in order to fix the sh*tted out Intimidator V1.0.  In order to avoid smoothing errors in MS3D, no groups can contain edges that are meant to be sharp - they must all be smooth surfaces cut into separate groups and aligned with each other - a box for example must be cut into 6 groups (one for each side) or 3 groups (each group containing opposiite sides).

I can give you this MS3D if you're interested.

-CR

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 04:54:32 PM »
Quote from: CaptainRussell
I have the CG Sovereign cut into over 200 groups in MS3D in order to avoid smoothing errors - it's part of what I had to do in order to fix the sh*tted out Intimidator V1.0.  In order to avoid smoothing errors in MS3D, no groups can contain edges that are meant to be sharp - they must all be smooth surfaces cut into separate groups and aligned with each other - a box for example must be cut into 6 groups (one for each side) or 3 groups (each group containing opposiite sides).

I can give you this MS3D if you're interested.

-CR

Uhm...no actually, I'm not referring to the CG Sovereign...I'm referring to his original model.  The Hawkeye Nemesis Sovereign based on the FC Sov.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2006, 10:14:13 PM »
Well, started on a new retexture of the Hawkeye Sovereign for my upcoming 2.0.  I'm kinda using CG's textures cutting and pasting, but plan on tweeking it up a bit to make it look more like an FC Sovereign Class.  Now if I can find someone who can IMPORT nif's using max that would be great, as everytime I try it with Milkshape converting it to different files that'll import into max without fudging up the shading, the file size almost doubles when I report it to .nif.  If anyone can help me I would most appreciate it :), the only reason I'm asking is because I plan on making an ID map specifically for this ship

Some photos of the upper Saucer so far, now if I can only get those damned impulse engines right...
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline cpthooker

• Cookies: 37
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2006, 05:36:45 AM »
looks ok so far. What are you going to do for its hardpoint?

'As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy, than to create.'
Capt Spock - The Wrath of Khan

PC Spec
Athlon X2 Skt AM2 6000+, 4GB DDR2 800 Ram
XFX Geforce 8800 ultra, Vista Ultimate 64bit

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2006, 09:20:08 PM »
Well, I had P$YCHO do the hardpoint for 1.0, since I'm still in the learning stages (haven't had much time recently however due to work and well getting life straight for me) of Python and MPE all together, so I might allow him to do 2.0's HP as well :) IF he's up for the task :D

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 11:05:25 PM »
Now if I can find someone who can IMPORT nif's using max that would be great

Anyone have an NIF importer with Max? *whistles*
Roger

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2006, 12:52:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure that there isn't one.

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2006, 02:22:16 AM »
talk to the sfc'ers they may be able to import it to something max can use.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2006, 08:10:25 AM »
milkshape has a importer plugin.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2006, 09:03:03 PM »
I know that LC, not tryin to be rude, but I've already stated that when I import it into something that Max uses without losing shading, the file size nearly doubles when I reexport it (the original is only 825kb's I think and when I reexport it's like 2mb's)

Offline CaptainRussell

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2006, 03:27:14 PM »
If you chop up the ship appropriately (probably about 150-250 groups) and then export it, it should be very close to normal size, probably a little smaller, since it will lack bussard animations upon exporting to NIF from MS3D.  You'll also need to cut the ship up so that it has little chunks that can be mapped to a single small registry Targa - this is the way that the CG Sovereign, SNS Galaxy, CR Nebula, LC Ambassador, and my new SNS Akira are made in order to minimize the amount of space that registry information occupies.  And I honestly don't know why you're going about doing this - the CG Sovereign is superior to the Hawkeye Sovereign in every way, and is ideal for using the Skinning & Damaging Tool - why not try to build something cool from scratch or do a kitbash?

-CR

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2006, 06:07:17 PM »
First of all Russell, the idea is to have a FC type sovereign that is suitable for the Skinning and Damaging tool, We have very few of those...whereas the CG Sovereign uses the Nemesis CGI ship as a basis, as a matter of fact I've tweeked the ID map texture a bit on the CG Sovereign specifically for the First Contact/Insurrection Sovereign.  Hope that clears things up :), oh, and I don't have enough skills yet to create something from scratch, unless someone has the time to teach me.  Once I build up enough skills to build something from scratch, I have the perfect Idea...*points to his little thread about the drawing* :).  Forgive me if I come across as rude, but I've had a stressful week at work!

EDIT:  I almost forgot, CG's Hawkeye Sovereign has lower poly count than CG's 1.0.  Which is another reason I'm using this model :)

Double Edit:  DJ Curtis:  there is one for Max 5....though from what I understand is unstable, once you import the ship, delete the file then save it into Max file...although I don't have Max 5...*whistles*

Roger

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2007, 02:01:15 PM »
Eh, Sorry I have no updates right at this moment as I've been sick as a dog with the flu lately.  I think for now I'm just going to make this a retexture of the entire ship until I become more experienced in Modeling to mess with ID Maps.  And I think I'm going to make this a two ship deal the Enterprise and the Sovereign, as right now I don't really feel like making more registries.  That is unless more people want a few more ships (I'm not going to go crazy and overboard with it like 30 ships, to me that's outrageous, no more than 7 ships)

Roger

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 01:36:57 PM »
I kinda wanna start to learn how to model.  But am a total n00b at it LOL.  I'm currently working on the Sci-Fi art tutorial on the Connie, and well, let's just say one area (the bridge) is giving me pains in the arses.  If there's anyone who has available time to one teach me how to use 3d MAX and help me learn a little more photoshop than I already know, I'd most appreciate it.

Thank you very much,
Rog W.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2007, 12:53:46 AM »
Bump, as I edited my last post to make more sense :P

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2007, 10:39:03 PM »
Ok, this is going to be a learning experience for me....I'm doing this on my own, the only way I can learn right?

The only thing is, I can't seem to make the saucer longer, it's one gigantic circle LOL and I'm wanting it slightly eliptical like the sovereign.  I would use stretch, but that wouldn't look right, and I've made the saucer of the Constitution I'm working on eliptical once before and I cannot remember how I did it.

Can someone please help me here? :)

Thank you very much.
Roger

P.S.  Photos to come as soon as I get this LOL

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2007, 10:43:41 PM »
I use a spline cage for saucers so that I can get the mesh segments an equal distance from each other, even if it's elongated.  Only problem with that is that it becomes dramatically more elliptical the closer you get to the center.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2007, 10:54:40 PM »
Ok...I'll have to tinker with it LOL.  It's like I said, this is a learning experience for me :).  I plan on taking my time on this one so that I can get the hang of things.

BTW:  Spline cage...where would I find that on Max 3.1?

Roger

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2007, 11:00:19 PM »
It's not really a thing you can find. :D

Basically, spline cage is a method of building a mesh.  A simple example of a spline cage would be to make a cube, but not from the predetermined shapes that you can just "grow".  Basically you would use splines to build the edges of a cube, and then apply the "surface" modifier.  Voila!  You would have a cube.  Remember that for the surface modifier to work, every face you build can have only 3 or four sides, no more or no less.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2007, 11:10:28 PM »
Ok, this is how tired I am LOL.  I used splines to create the saucer at least the top portion of it.  However right now I'm trying to get the thing a little less boxy LOL.  Wow, so far the top of the saucer is at 1472 faces...but anyways...

Yeah, I think I understand a little, but how do you modify the properties to enlongate the mesh.  I've done this before and I can't for the life of me remember how I did it :(. (remind me to take notes next time LOL)

Edit:  Ok, the saucer is now at 608 faces...however i still would like to stretch this out a little...

Double Edit:  I remember it had something to do with scaling...and i can't remember how to go about doing this.  But I gots ta learn somehow :P.  Remind me to take notes everytime I learn something new :)