Author Topic: Generations: Evacuating a Galaxy Suffering a core breach: How it Should be Done  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
I really need to pull out my Galaxy Class Blueprints.... I'm sure I found 3 specific areas where there were medical bays. 1 in the neck and 2 in the saucer.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
As far as I remember the escape pods are design for rapid departure from a ship, even in the event of a warp breech. I think that was Mr Scotts guide.

Anyway what use is a escape pod if you can not use it to get away from the ship in a darn hurry.

So yes I'm with the why the hell climb through the star drive section when you could easily escape in a pod. Also there are 2 shuttle bays in the dorsal why not jump in one of those as well.

Perhaps it is like the Titanic they thought she was undistructable so the escape pod hatches were only cosmetic?
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
what are you guys overanalyzing this for?  this was a Plot-related idiot ball carried by the whole crew.  yeesh.  and, btw, i didn't know galaxies HAD escape pods till I saw them on the models, here, even though i actually ALSO own a copy of the Galaxy blueprints.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
I don't think an escape pod would be able to survive a warp core breach blast. And even if it did, they'd be sent flying out of control.

And whats cooler, escape pods or splitting the ship in half? :P

And another thing to remember, ship captains get court-martialed if they lose there ship. Better bring back half a ship than none at all.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
If you want to get technical with physics, that explosion would have had less effect on the lifeboats than it would the saucer due to the size. The outside edge of the boats is also armored. They could have turned around and pointed the heavier sections towards the blast.

Better answer? Special effects were not advanced to the point of being able to render that level of detail on a physical model. Which is a major reason they went combination physical and CGI for First Contact.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Another thing to consider would be the time it takes to get everyone into the escape pods. Considering you'll have to decide who goes where into what and making sure they're inside safely and ready to launch. With a saucer seperation, all you have to do is get everyone past a cut-off point and then you can detach ASAP. Then you can consider strapping everyone down.

And also how fast can an escape pod go? They don't have 2 huge impulse engines.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline baz1701

Well they never showed us life boat drill though they all seemed to know where to go in FC and when they had to get off the Defiant in a hurry. So I guess they have them.

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
The saucer section also has its own shields too, that would help protect it against it from a blast. I think it depends on time though, in the time loop episode, they needed to get off the enterprise in a hurry so Picard told everyone to get to the escape pods, cause the enterprise was about to explode. I would rather take my chances in a pod then on a ship thats about to explode, but if I had the time I would much rather be on the saucer section with shields, long range communition, impulse engines and phasers just in case.

They had the time to evacuate everyone to the saucer section, the saucer section had shields, yea maybe the escape pods would have gotten clear, but I would rather be on the saucer.  I would imagine in any emergancy situation I would imagine they would try to move everyone to the middle of the saucer for maximum protection.

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
I also recall thinking-"Why Will-why- did You order Deanna to Pilot? YOUR supposed to be the best pilot on the ship, according to that 2 part episode with Picard being tortured by the cardassians with the four lights gimmick--so why did you not just take the damned Helm yourself dude? LOL.

Offline baz1701

perhaps with everything else in Generations the escape pods were not due till Tuesday!!!

Offline Daystar70

LOL this Guy is Hilarious in his review of how RETARDED Generations really was.

He makes a great point. EVEN w/o it's shields, Enterprise should have been able to easily overpower that Bird of Prey.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
Yeah, There's what I would have done RC :P.  Had I been Picard, I would have just punched Sore-ron in Ten Forward...and be done with it...no saucer sep, no saucer crash, no warp core breech, etc :D

AKA:  Dude in vid above me has a point!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline martyr

• Cookies: 4
you guys should check out that reviewrs star wars reviews

Offline Daystar70

I watched his star wars they are Hilarious :) and its so funny the Holes he finds in first contact, insurrection and Nemesis to.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
I watched his star wars they are Hilarious :) and its so funny the Holes he finds in first contact, insurrection and Nemesis to.

Nemesis was just one big hole, I think.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
LoL yeah although FC was the best out of TNG movies it was soooo flawed plot wise, Insurrection and Nemesis was always considered poor movies... I love when that guy bashes Picard attitude changes and his aggressive acting :funny

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
LoL yeah although FC was the best out of TNG movies it was soooo flawed plot wise

Time travel-oriented storylines generally tend to be a risky move. (Unless, of course, it's Doctor Who or something.) That's probably why Star Trek IV was probably the least popular of the trilogy-within-the-series that began with Wrath of Khan. Even though I still kinda liked some bits of it...
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter