Author Topic: Enterprise and the Dominion war?  (Read 3687 times)

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
Re: Enterprise and the Dominion war?
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2009, 05:28:25 PM »
Question-have you seen the newest trek online demo? 

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2009, 05:36:40 PM »
Yeah it's been talked about already here on the forums.
The vid is over a month old.

Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Ah okay i didn't see it when i searched for old forum posts, I usually try to find if it has been covered in the past now before rehashing a covered subject.

About the Re-hash of old ships vs brand new- well, in fairness, cryptic studios is trying to market star trek in an MMo, and give the players the oppurtunity to fly their favorite ships of old while making excuses for a constitution class "appearence" in a new era, i think i can forgive them for that reason. They hopefully will create new ships but looking at the Demo, i saw an Akira class firing "pulse" phasers at a Romulan warbird and some warbirds looked like the ENT era old Birds of prey-obviously semantics a retro "look" with modern technology i would assume. The Pulse phaser akira class goes along withj threads i read about customising the weapons and other tech your ship can gain or alter.

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 02:22:24 AM »
I don't dispute that, but it seems to be following virtually in the same vein as BC, Armada, and Legacy. No really new ships, just slapdash kitbashes on existing ones. The only "new" ship I've seen is simply a futuristic remake of the Constitution. There is no vision involved. Star Wars Galaxies had much the same problem, an over-expansive idea peppered with re-tread plot devices.

I may give it a shot if there is a free trial, but screw paying monthly to play a game I've already bought, only to have to be subjected to juvenile and petty "gamers" online. The MMO idea is incredibly overrated, with few exceptions. Take World of Warcraft. Basically endless hack-and-slash. Sorry, that gets old in an hour or so. I'm much more interested in the direction the Excalibur project is taking.

Anyway, back on point. I think just as people are advocating that people embrace the JJverse, so should the fans consider the novels. They now have a direction, and more than any open-ended game, they are the only new content we're getting from the "prime" universe. Not only that, but most of them are very well-written.

Destiny makes one thing very strange and very pointless. If the borg where born from humans, why did it take them so long to return to Earth to assimilate it ya know? They knew we where here, yet they didn't come and assimilate us any earlier, that is what I called flawed thinking and a very good reason to throw them out as possible canon but a good read.

As for your view of MMO, as an avid WoW player its alot more than hack and slash, but you dont notice the actual depth till higher levels, and you wont in any MMO. In any mmo the objective is to reach max level, otherwise your always the little man. Coming from two level 80's a Paladin and a Warlock I can most assurdly say its not hack and slash once your at 80. I farm, I sell ore and armarments on the Auction house, I do paid runs for lowbies so they can get leveled faster, I do endgame missions ect. Till lvl 80 or max level in any MMO can be quite boring, once your there, you find a raiding guild, and have a good time. I spend hours on wow doing nothing but sitting in a capital usally dalaran talking to guild mates not because ive got nothing better to do but because there friends.

Also your statement about gamers is rather rude, not ever gamer is a 12yr old child, and most of those play on consoles not PC. I am not sure your gaming experince online, but Im an avid CSS player, WoW player, I also play BF2, Combat Arms, and Medieval 2 Total War online and i find more adults than kids most of the time. Now jump onto an Xbox or PS3 yea you will find your annoying till twits

Offline undedavenger

• It's simple. I reek of awesomeness, and you don't.
  • Cookies: 14
    • Official Star Trek Century Myspace!
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2009, 03:05:52 PM »
I'm not saying all are like that, just one in a group of 20 mature gamers can ruin the fun.

2nd, I don;t play WoW and others like it for the simple reason that I have a job, a wife, and a kid. I refuse to dedicate so many hours of my life to a game before it even becomes interesting.

The best games allow you to jump in, start the story, and start making progress. That's why SP games will ALWAYS outrank MMOs, IMHO.
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."