Author Topic: Did Galaxy's get quantams?  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
Did Galaxy's get quantams?
« on: August 19, 2009, 02:41:14 PM »
I was thinking after seeing how far I can push a Galaxy in battle, why don't we ever see a Galaxy with Quantam torpedos? I mean being a ship of the line I would imagine during and after the war they would get refitted with them? They refitted the Lakota with them so why not?

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: Did Galaxy's get quantams?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 02:59:52 PM »
I do believe the Venture and Challenger got quantums. But I'm only doing this based off DJ's Galaxu Pack. :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 03:13:44 PM »
common sense ays that the Galaxy X's have them., that any galaxies in the dominion war had them, and probably every updated Galaxy download probably has them.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 03:20:43 PM »
There is no canon evidence to suggest that any Galaxy class received quantum torpedoes.

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 03:22:06 PM »
Didn't the Excelsiors have them too? or, more like, any ship that had more than snowflakes chance in hell to survive against Dominion attack? Sadly, this excludes Mirandas, since they were usually the first ships to blow up.  :P slightly OT.. was there any Constellation-class starships pulled out from the museums and turned into home front courier or transport ships?
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Dalek

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 03:28:50 PM »
Only one Excelsior has been seen/heard equipped with quantums and thats the Lakota.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 03:41:31 PM »
Wasn't the Lakota commanded by an Admiral's favorite or some such? It might explain it.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 03:55:40 PM »
Yeah. Erika Benteen. He even promoted her to Captain and told her to intercept the Defiant.

- Lorien

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 04:07:41 PM »
Yeah. Erika Benteen. He even promoted her to Captain and told her to intercept the Defiant.

Which was a bad idea from the moment the admiral started moving his lips..  :lol:
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 09:24:05 PM »
Quantum torps were a brand new weapons in the early 2370's so I doubt that they were very widespread, even by the beginning of the war.  Given that a Galaxy Class starship is good for a hundred years, I'd say its pretty likely they'd get them eventually, unless something better came along prior to quantums becoming widely available.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 10:45:10 PM »
And the Sov only had one Quantum Launcher.

Could be that the tubes are a different shape, like in ENT when they installed photons, the torp tubes had to be rebuild. Not the best time to do that, in the middle of a huge war where you need every ship you have out there.

Except, apparently, for the Enterprise. :?

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 11:15:47 PM »
Well the Enterprise E was built before the Dominion war I think. Even then, extending the build schedule by a week (if that) to install one torpedo tube wouldn't add a noticable amount of time onto the construction of a whole starship.

I'd say that quantum torpedos need a different launching system to torpedos and probes. (Probably due to the payload of the torpedo) And, with the exception of the USS Lakota are exclusively used on Sovereign and Defiant class vessels (Also supposedly used on Federation Fighters, most likely a 'micro-quantum' torpedo).
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Dalek

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 08:30:19 AM »
The Enterprise was finished being built in 2372. FC occured in 2373, just when things were heating up between the Federation and the Dominion.

- Lorien

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 12:21:36 PM »
The only ship classes we know of that have both quantum and photon torpedos are the Defiant and Sovereign classes. So the quantum torpedo has been in service since early 2371 with the Defiant being taken out of mothballs.

The Defiant class doesn't seem to have a seperate set of launchers for each torpedo type probably owing to its size so it's not beyond the releams of reason that other torpedo launcher types could be retro-fitted to handle both photons and quantums. An example being the Lakota being equipped with quantums.

Starfleet will probably upgrade each Galaxy class starship as and when they go into a yard for a major overhaul. Now the class being one of the most powerful it's doubtful this would happen in the build up or during the war as they're needed on the front line.

Any hulls brought online during the war would most likely be rushed into service and would no doubt just get the standard class launcher and the extremely common place photon torpedo to ensure quick entry into the fleet.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »
Hm, I forgot the Defiant had photons too...

Perhaps quantum torpedos need additional safety protocols, or the Defiant had a different type of quantum torpedo to the Sovereign class (Would explain why they look different and are smaller than the stock on the Sovereigns, and seem to be less powerful) Or both!

[theory] Defiant class ships have less powerful quantum torpedos as the higher yield warheads are found to be unstable when launched from standard torpedo lauchers. When the Sovereign class was in development, the engineering team worked on a safer way of launching the more powerful torpedos; which implements a number of safety protocols to keep the higher yield, and more unstable, warheads in check.

The reason these launchers were not installed on later Defiant class vessels is due to their size, which is a main concern to these small vessels. Second to this is the inability to launch the less advaned photon torpedos, which have a different propulsion system and a strong magnetic field, which can interrupt and destabilise the intricate workings of the stability enhancers. [/theory]

This theory is brought on by multiple observations, Defiants have a different design of quantum torpedo, which appears to be smaller. And the Enterprise E has seperate launchers for photon and quantum torpedos. If I recall warhead weapons are notorious for instability in certain launchng systems.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Dalek

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 03:51:47 PM »
The Sabre got quantums but it required a new turret to be made to launch them.

- Lorien

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 04:10:45 PM »
uh where was that said/seen??
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »
Oops, my mistake. So where did I read it...

- Lorien

Offline Rob Archer

• Cookies: 545
  • New Frontier MKVI
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 06:10:16 AM »
ACTD makes for an interesting read on the subject of starfleet Torpeodes

http://techspecs.startrek.acalltoduty.com/articles/torpedoes.html

Offline NeoSilverThorn

• Explorer at heart
  • Cookies: 1
    • NeoSilverThorn's DevArt gallery
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 11:30:56 PM »
Hm, I forgot the Defiant had photons too...

Perhaps quantum torpedos need additional safety protocols, or the Defiant had a different type of quantum torpedo to the Sovereign class (Would explain why they look different and are smaller than the stock on the Sovereigns, and seem to be less powerful) Or both!

[theory] Defiant class ships have less powerful quantum torpedos as the higher yield warheads are found to be unstable when launched from standard torpedo lauchers. When the Sovereign class was in development, the engineering team worked on a safer way of launching the more powerful torpedos; which implements a number of safety protocols to keep the higher yield, and more unstable, warheads in check.

The reason these launchers were not installed on later Defiant class vessels is due to their size, which is a main concern to these small vessels. Second to this is the inability to launch the less advaned photon torpedos, which have a different propulsion system and a strong magnetic field, which can interrupt and destabilise the intricate workings of the stability enhancers. [/theory]

This theory is brought on by multiple observations, Defiants have a different design of quantum torpedo, which appears to be smaller. And the Enterprise E has seperate launchers for photon and quantum torpedos. If I recall warhead weapons are notorious for instability in certain launchng systems.

Well, that theory does rather joss the  DS9 Technical Manual, where the implication is that it's the same model for both Defiant and Sovereign classes.  Personally, I don't think Starfleet had time to make different models before the war broke, and even then that kind of thing was put on the back burner.
"You're diggin' my ride from outer space."

"Okay, okay, so I technically use an ether/anti-ether warp reactor.  Not that different from a matter/anti-matter reactor, is it?"