Author Topic: What ship would you used for being pulled to the Delta quad?  (Read 5486 times)

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
What ship would you used for being pulled to the Delta quad?
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:51:48 PM »
I recent post got me thinking about Voyager and it being a small ship, but being stuck in the Delta. While I think its likely they could survive being the ship being very adavanced, small, fast, I doubt the parts about it being small, not alot of room for growth and what not. So what ship would you prefer to be in if you were taken to the Delta?

Personally I think I would take the Galaxy or the Prometheus (sp?). I'm saying the Galaxy because it was designed for long distance travel, its big so it can hold a huge crew, and has the resources to provide a "new" crew since realistically it would take 75 years to get back. Another thing to go with its size is it can hold ALOT more supplies than a Interpid class. I think its main issue is its size, it takes a big crew to man that ship and its harder to hide than a Interpid class

I choose the Prometheus, not for its combat ability but for its ability to be able to run with just 4 crew members, that can be handy in a bad situation. Its long range speed is another advantage and its ability to seperate into 3 warp capable ships adds to its survivability.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
Re: What ship would you used for being pulled to the Delta quad?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »
yeah, but the Prometheus is far too small, smaller than the Intrepid, I don't think it would have had the supplies for such a long journey.  My vote would be the Galaxy.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »
Lol dude and you would be doomed in Galaxy class :thumbsup: it's not importanat that it can run 9.75 warp MAX, it's CRUISING speed that counts and Galaxy class cruising speed is about 7 warps... so if Voyager could cruise at speed of warp 9.7-9.9 and reach Federation in 75 years then Galaxy would get there in about 120, by this time, much older and far less advanced Galaxy's design would be gone ;) Such slow/huge/quite adv. ship would be tempting throphy for any agressive/hunter species. the only pro of Galaxy is it's resources (replicators, endless power reserves, powerfull weapons) yet there's too much cons on this one ;)

Prometheus, hm this could actually get home safely due to it's superior firepower (3 ships in one), optimal cruising speed and it's automation.

I highly doubt any ship could survive 75 years journey, after 50 years of no maintenance or refit but countles skirmishes, battles the hull would in really bad condition as well as warp/impulse drive etc.

well my choice would be either Intrepid or Prometheus, they are fast and maneuverable, quite low profile due to their size and well armed/armored.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 03:07:56 PM »
yeah, but the Prometheus is far too small, smaller than the Intrepid, I don't think it would have had the supplies for such a long journey.  My vote would be the Galaxy.

Prometheus: 415 meters
Intrepid: 343 meters

I would rather have seen a ship like the Excelsior or Ambassador Class make the long haul journey from the far side of the galaxy. Both are big enough, and more than capable of handling their own. Provided ofcourse, that both ships are brought upto 2370+ standards in terms of weaponry and defensive capabilities.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 03:30:14 PM »
Hmmm.. If I'll get stranded, I want to do it with style, and there's nothing more stylish and epic than Constellation class that served in Dominion war and survived. U.S.S. Victory if my memory serves me correctly.
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »
I just researched the victory lionus.... cool!!! i'm going to see if i can find her on ff  :dance

I would use the Uss Corinium-A, it would have all the facilities needed for a LONG duration return to federation space.

or if this is aimed at on-screen ships.... i would pick a Cheyenne Class because its cool  :P :D
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 04:06:39 PM »
I'd have to pick my Nebula class :P
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Psyco Diver

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 04:11:19 PM »
Lol dude and you would be doomed in Galaxy class :thumbsup: it's not importanat that it can run 9.75 warp MAX, it's CRUISING speed that counts and Galaxy class cruising speed is about 7 warps... so if Voyager could cruise at speed of warp 9.7-9.9 and reach Federation in 75 years then Galaxy would get there in about 120, by this time, much older and far less advanced Galaxy's design would be gone ;) Such slow/huge/quite adv. ship would be tempting throphy for any agressive/hunter species. the only pro of Galaxy is it's resources (replicators, endless power reserves, powerfull weapons) yet there's too much cons on this one ;)

Prometheus, hm this could actually get home safely due to it's superior firepower (3 ships in one), optimal cruising speed and it's automation.

I highly doubt any ship could survive 75 years journey, after 50 years of no maintenance or refit but countles skirmishes, battles the hull would in really bad condition as well as warp/impulse drive etc.

well my choice would be either Intrepid or Prometheus, they are fast and maneuverable, quite low profile due to their size and well armed/armored.

I thought the Galaxy could cruise at warp 9 for 12 hours and warp 8 till it runs out of juice, and the Intrepid could do about the same.. I think the Galaxy has tghe advantage cause it could remake most parts damaged, and also exchange stuff with other species for new tech and hard to replace stuff just like voyager did. Comparing to everything Voyager went up against I think the Galaxy could handle it self

A Soveriegn class would be nice, since it fits inbewteen the Intrepid and Galaxy size wise

Offline Psyco Diver

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »
I'd have to pick my Nebula class :P

Weapons pod or sensor pod? I would take the sensor pod, at least then you could see the enemy coming before they saw you

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 04:13:50 PM »
A Soveriegn class would be nice, since it fits inbewteen the Intrepid and Galaxy size wise

The Galaxy is bigger only in width. Length-wise the Sovie is about 100 metres longer.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »
I would want a Cloaking Ship [klingon neghvar]
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Psyco Diver

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »

The Galaxy is bigger only in width. Length-wise the Sovie is about 100 metres longer.

and taller and can hold more people and larger cargo bays. The Sovys problem is its gears torward war with diplomacy as a backfall, while the Galaxy is the oppisite, its diplomatic first or rains down the kickass

Offline AdmiralKathryn

• Cookies: 4
  • Starfleet Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 04:52:56 PM »

Although larger ships would be good in theory, wouldn't they be far more difficult to maintain depending on crew size?

If you had a larger ship with a full crew you'd need to fight every day for more supplies, which would equal larger power consumption.

If you had a larger ship with a minimal crew, there wouldn't be enough to maintain all ships systems at peak efficiency!

I think the Intrepid class was a good choice, big enough to defend themselves but small enough to avoid enemy vessels.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 05:40:01 PM »
Defiant class, small, stealthy, and powerful.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 05:46:24 PM »

Although larger ships would be good in theory, wouldn't they be far more difficult to maintain depending on crew size?

If you had a larger ship with a full crew you'd need to fight every day for more supplies, which would equal larger power consumption.

If you had a larger ship with a minimal crew, there wouldn't be enough to maintain all ships systems at peak efficiency!

I think the Intrepid class was a good choice, big enough to defend themselves but small enough to avoid enemy vessels.
precisely ;)

Galaxy can maintain 9.2 for 12 hours YES then it slowes down to 6-7-8 that varies depending on how much power reserves it has but then Intrepid can go 9.75 until it's dry, without any stop thatnk's to unique geometry ;)

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 08:38:09 PM »
as I recall the 75 years was factoring in an average speed of warp 6, not even voyager could sustain 9.75 for that long, and remember Voyager didn't have the consumables to maintain those kinds of speeds, it could run non stop until it's dry alright, but it would run dry alot sooner, as I recall, it was running out of power already by the middle of the first season ("There's coffee in that nebula").  The Galaxy has a much longer range, even if it couldn't sustain the same speeds, plus, it already has the facilities needed to grow food for the crew in the Arboretum if they did have to ration energy, no need to convert a cargobay into an aeroponic garden.

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 09:51:24 PM »
USS Monitor with transwarp  :bow:
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 02:41:24 AM »
as I recall the 75 years was factoring in an average speed of warp 6, not even voyager could sustain 9.75 for that long, and remember Voyager didn't have the consumables to maintain those kinds of speeds, it could run non stop until it's dry alright, but it would run dry alot sooner, as I recall, it was running out of power already by the middle of the first season ("There's coffee in that nebula").  The Galaxy has a much longer range, even if it couldn't sustain the same speeds, plus, it already has the facilities needed to grow food for the crew in the Arboretum if they did have to ration energy, no need to convert a cargobay into an aeroponic garden.
Didn't they run out of 'coffee' just because they travelked with top speed ? anyway I remember clearly Janeway told the crew that even when traveling with maximum warp they'll reach Federation in 75 years right ? on the other hand you're right about the range of both ships, explorers are meant to cruise with optimal speeds for veeeery long runs while Intrepid is kind of deep space interceptor.

oh and about that range, did I miss anything during first 3 seasons or Voyager seemed to have no problems at all with power drops/shortage after mid 4th season  :lostit:

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 04:42:18 AM »
that's just because the writers pretty much forgot about it  :facepalm:
although I think they did have a couple episodes where that happened later on, like the one where they landed on the Demon class planet.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 05:48:16 AM »
that's just because the writers pretty much forgot about it  :facepalm:
although I think they did have a couple episodes where that happened later on, like the one where they landed on the Demon class planet.
too bad I say, because it would add certain ammount of realism, drama and that special feeling of being stranded in the middle of nowhere (BSG ruled in this part ;) )