Author Topic: Why Ds9 was The Best Trek ever  (Read 3344 times)

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
Re: Why Ds9 was The Best Trek ever
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 02:03:51 PM »
If you are 39 years old now, and you were 14 when TNG premiered... that would assume TNG premiered 25 years ago, when in fact it premiered 23 years ago. So either you were 16 when it premiered, or you are now 37 years old :)
nobody likes a nitpicker, DT lol j/k :P

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 02:14:49 PM »
LOL actually no i don't mind his nitpick i was always terrible at math yes i was 16.

I was born oct 2nd 1970. When TNG appeared i was 16 about to turn 17. to be more specific.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 03:00:18 PM »
well, at least I'm not the old fogey in here...just the #2 old fogey...I THINK.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 05:02:16 PM »
Well us 30 somethings trekkies are the Next Generation.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline ThunderChyld

• "Until I have exhausted all other options, keep the phasers charged and the torpedoes loaded."
  • Cookies: 0
  • "I wait for the dawn..."
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 05:16:04 PM »
I pretty much agree with everything you just said, ThunderChyld :)

My experience with Star Trek, started when I was 5 years old and started watching TNG. For a long time, I avoided watching DS9 simply because I fond it to be too boring at the time (set on a space station, bunch of religious mumbo jumbo...). But eventually I really got into the show, re-watched every episode from the 1st one, and to date it's the best of the 5 television shows in my opinion. On a close 2nd for me, is TNG, with a shared 3rd place for TOS, ENT and VOY. (all 3 of the latter shows had their good and bad points). And ofcourse, TOS is the show that started it all. Without TOS, we'd have no Trek at all.

Hands down, best Star Trek episode ever... The Visitor (DS9, season 4). No other episode of Star Trek's over 800 episodes has made me as happy or as sad as this episode. Coming off of a high point, with the Way of the Warrior (season 4's season premiere), this was by far the best episode in my humble opinion.

The Visitor was one of the best of Trek...  I COMPLETELY Agree!  That one (I'll admit it) made me cry and it had all of the best elements that Trek was based upon. That has been so consistently been on my top 10 list of favorite episodes of any show. The Siege of AR-558 was another one that was a good one because it showed what the Federation needed to do to hold the line against the Jem'Hadar in it's most gritty iteration done.  Like Sisko said on Behind the Lines, "It shows that we will fight and keep on fighting until we cannot fight any more!" Another episode that got me was the episode when O'Brien was imprisoned and had to live out a sentence in his mind, and he struggled to the point of almost committing suicide.  Bashir had to talk him down in season 4--Hard Time.

Not to mention that they had great episodes like Trials and Tribblelations and the Season 5 finale A Call to Arms, leading into Season 6 with A Time to Stand, Rocks and Shoals, Sons and Daughters, Behind the Lines, Favor the Bold and Sacrifice of Angels.  I loved Waltz, The Reckoning, In the Pale Moonlight (another of my top 10), His Way, The Sound of Her Voice, and Tears of the Prophets. Now I know I just listed a lot of the good ones...  But there are more scattered about the series that I would watch over and over again... But I think between these and several others, this is what made DS9 what it is--one of the best series of Trek ever.  

--ThunderChyld

And an unusual side effect, my love for Nebula-Class ships grew during this time.  Not only that--after reading the novelization of the DS9 side of the Dominion War by Diane Carey--it added additional depth to all of the characters participating in it and made me appreciate the episodes even more.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2010, 02:04:16 AM »
You know..i've spent the last 3 months only posting on the STO thread..i'm so glad i woke up and branched out. This community is great.

Offline TheConstable6

• ^LOL
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2010, 08:16:53 PM »
The Visitor was one of the best of Trek...  I COMPLETELY Agree!  That one (I'll admit it) made me cry and it had all of the best elements that Trek was based upon. That has been so consistently been on my top 10 list of favorite episodes of any show. The Siege of AR-558 was another one that was a good one because it showed what the Federation needed to do to hold the line against the Jem'Hadar in it's most gritty iteration done.  Like Sisko said on Behind the Lines, "It shows that we will fight and keep on fighting until we cannot fight any more!" Another episode that got me was the episode when O'Brien was imprisoned and had to live out a sentence in his mind, and he struggled to the point of almost committing suicide.  Bashir had to talk him down in season 4--Hard Time.

Not to mention that they had great episodes like Trials and Tribblelations and the Season 5 finale A Call to Arms, leading into Season 6 with A Time to Stand, Rocks and Shoals, Sons and Daughters, Behind the Lines, Favor the Bold and Sacrifice of Angels.  I loved Waltz, The Reckoning, In the Pale Moonlight (another of my top 10), His Way, The Sound of Her Voice, and Tears of the Prophets. Now I know I just listed a lot of the good ones...  But there are more scattered about the series that I would watch over and over again... But I think between these and several others, this is what made DS9 what it is--one of the best series of Trek ever.  

--ThunderChyld

And an unusual side effect, my love for Nebula-Class ships grew during this time.  Not only that--after reading the novelization of the DS9 side of the Dominion War by Diane Carey--it added additional depth to all of the characters participating in it and made me appreciate the episodes even more.

Took it out of my mouth... though you forgot Take Me Out To The Holosuite!
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
 We are not now that strength which in old days
 Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
 One equal temper of heroic hearts,
 Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
 To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Offline B5

• The One Who Will Be
  • Cookies: 11
  • Babylon 5: The Last of the Babylon Stations.
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2011, 06:52:23 PM »
it was best ever coz of the Dominion war
On a pirateship talking piracy with pirates. Arrrr me hearties. There be whirlpools here. And another pirate ships. Full of pirates... from pirateland... and piratebay... Pirates... piiiiiiratessssss.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8396544/1/Conundrum

Pirates.

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
it was best ever coz of the Dominion war

What a suprise from a Babyon 5 fan...  :funny j/k

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »
Tng was peaceful.. Walking in those beige corridors. Everyone was happy! Utopia! But sometimes it was too... also when there was a war coming (redemption, borg). Always old big, barbeque admirals, that could be your neighboorman saying: jean luc! We are not ready for war! It was like, d'ooh....

Then ds9 came, and the intro was for me already enough.. THe music, the fast shooting Saratoga, the one shot exploding melbourne. It was like damn! Also, it really showed the big redress of the Federation, which i liked. Humans who were peaceful, that started to change into more "you started a war with us, you are going down with it.." was amazing imo. Especially, the end of season 5, when you see the taskforce of the federation. It was like, holy shit! I mean, i was watching this with some friends, and i do remember that we all laughed and said, "we are gonna see max ten ships, a constellation, a miranda and some excelsiors".. Suddenly bam, akira's, defiants, excelsiors, lots of galaxy class ships.. The feds really started pumping ships.. Favor the bold episode was also amazing, where the federation decides to go alone.. Really, pfew, no one believes, this is the same federation of tng..

Voyager was imo also great, but i hated those holodeck episodes (fair heaven crap).

Offline TheConstable6

• ^LOL
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 12:33:41 AM »
I just had an amazing experience with DS9.

My brother's on break so he came and visited me for a few days, completely unexpectedly. I was surprised (and grateful) because I don't get to see him that often, and he has a lot of work on top of school (Model UN president, three IT jobs, prepping to go to London to study at LSE, etc.) so he really had to make an effort to get away for a few days. I made dinner and we sat around talking and we were going to play tennis (I have some nice courts right down the street) but he decided he was too tired...so I put The Visitor on Netflix and we watched it...my brother's not a huge Trekkie but he likes it, he's seen most of the movies but never really gotten that in to the shows...and by the end he was in tears. I have literally never seen him cry, this night really touched both of us. Anyways just thought I'd share that.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
 We are not now that strength which in old days
 Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
 One equal temper of heroic hearts,
 Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
 To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 02:28:01 AM »
The Visitor is one of my favorite episodes of Trek.  Period.

To Boldly Go...Again.